Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you ever confront bad drivers?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Do you ever confront bad drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 10:36 PM
Jenniferg82

Bikes: Specialized sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to..

Encountering dummy drivers is a regular thing for me in the city of Philadelphia. I used to shake my head really obviously, especially if I was at a stop light and I got the chance to look them in the face. And I can’t tell you how many drivers I see on cell phones. In Philly it is against the law to use a cell phone while driving and this law was made for a reason. It’s so funny how much you notice when riding rather then in a car... So, getting back to my point, I no longer bother bringing attention to the dummy drivers mistake. Why? Because I don’t want to get shot. There are WAY toooooo many incidents in the paper lately about road rage gone to far.. call me paranoid, but give a driver the wrong look and that driver may have had a bad day and before you know it.......... bad business.
Old 06-22-18, 02:06 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Jenniferg82
Encountering dummy drivers is a regular thing for me in the city of Philadelphia. I used to shake my head really obviously, especially if I was at a stop light and I got the chance to look them in the face. And I can’t tell you how many drivers I see on cell phones. In Philly it is against the law to use a cell phone while driving and this law was made for a reason. It’s so funny how much you notice when riding rather then in a car... So, getting back to my point, I no longer bother bringing attention to the dummy drivers mistake. Why? Because I don’t want to get shot. There are WAY toooooo many incidents in the paper lately about road rage gone to far.. call me paranoid, but give a driver the wrong look and that driver may have had a bad day and before you know it.......... bad business.
Paranoid! You're many times more like to just get runover.
Old 06-22-18, 07:59 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
One of the biggest wastes of my time would be trying to convince others their driving has issues. In 99.9% of cases, you are either going to be ignored or aggravating the situation.

Now the few situations of people purposefully harassing me? I've taken to waving with a big smile on my face or blowing kisses at them. They seem to not know how to react to that.
Old 06-23-18, 01:57 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Bikes: A fast one, a fun one, a utilitarian one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
What he described doesn't remotely rise to the level of stalking as defined by law. Drop it and move on.
Oh, well, if you say then it must be so. Thank god the judicial system has you parse out such broadly defined laws.
Old 06-23-18, 02:03 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
Maybe You should do some more research bud. Case law for Hawaii specifically determines that driving/riding on the public roadways in any manner I have described cannot/is not considered HRS § 711-1106.5 Harassment by stalking.

[I am] So sad for you[r] with being [having been] triggered.
I never said anything about harassment, that's you arguing with a point that you alone brought up. You're a stalker, be an adult and own it.
Old 06-23-18, 03:05 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by jack k
Oh, well, if you say then it must be so. Thank god the judicial system has you parse out such broadly defined laws.
I am a retired law enforcement officer. I kinda know what I am talking about. Do you have any experience interpreting and applying the law? What he described isn't even close to stalking. I don't think we are allowed to call each other idiots on this forum, so I'll abstain.
Old 06-25-18, 03:49 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5991 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
In general there's not much to complain about the drivers here, but there are those that feel the need to rev it loudly and accelerate fast as soon as the traffic light is green. I put on my most bored and arrogant facial expression, which is pretty bored and arrogant, and wave my fingers in front of my mouth while yawning ostentiously. It's not very confronting, but at least they have my opinion about their driving style.
Old 06-25-18, 10:10 AM
LanghamP

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have occasionally, although it seems no good comes of it since you cannot easily change a driver's mind.

The only time I've ever gotten an apology or even an acknowledgment from a driver was, in frustration, I ghost-dismounted and let the bike ram into the red-light running driver right on the driver's door.

Despite the slight damage to the bike (pieces came off), it felt damn good. Sadly my camera battery had run out although I'm optimistic more opportunities will present themselves.

What can you really do? Maybe abolish "right on red"? That won't stop drivers from being on their phones.

Personally, I avoid the threat (automobiles) as much as I can by bicycling in areas devoid of autos, as virtually 100% of my close calls and crashes are automobile related. Even walking a bicycle with a go pedestrian light will still have close calls (like yesterday when the woman with the baby stroller in front of me with a go pedestrian light was still honked at furiously by a car running a red light).

This is the US, damnit, surely we can do better! I don't know, arm every pedestrian over the age of three with a Glock 9mm and encourage a little bit of "retribution"? Soon we'd see some dystopian utopia where every driver is in some armored huge hulking SUV and pedestrians/bicyclists are no where to be found. Oh wait...
Old 06-26-18, 07:26 AM
FrontFive

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In short, no. I find it hard to have a well-thought, reasoned conversation when I'm cycling at the best of times, and I definitely cannot do that in the aftermath of a near miss. I will generally let the driver know of my dissatisfaction through some sort of gesture - most seem ready enough to acknowledge their mistake. But I don't think any good comes of getting into an argument with a driver, which is almost certainly what would happen as I would find it hard to restrain my emotions when confronting them, which would immediately make them defensive or aggressive. Personally I think that being confrontational only solidifies the negative image that some drivers have of cyclists.
Old 06-26-18, 12:33 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
One of the great things about cycling, for most of us, even when we confront dangerous motorist, two minutes after continuing our ride, we have forgotten about it. The motorist on the other hand, is annoyed the entire rest of the day.
That's true for me too. Either me or someone in my group has a close encounter with a vehicle (often resulting in yelling) at least once a week. There's no way I could hang on to all the negativity.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-26-18, 06:18 PM
KraneXL

Provided the only damage is to your ego. ^^ Otherwise, the antipathetic experience will be staring you in the face as a constant reminder (until you get it fixed) of the negatives associated with road cycling.
Old 06-28-18, 05:37 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I haven't really had that many negative experiences so I'm thankful (lucky??) in that regard. When something negative does happen, it's usually a car passing me by and someone yells out the window (although I did have someone throw a slushy at me once) or maybe passes me at the last minute and takes a corner in front of me while I'm going straight. But, it's not like there's time to pause and talk it out ... I pretty much always just let it go (well I might curse some out of ear shot range) as it's not worth spoiling the rest of the ride for one negative experience when there's so much positive about riding. Well, that, and if I did start a confrontation, there's zero chance that if it turned physical that I wouldn't be the one who got my butt kicked

Last edited by dennis336; 06-28-18 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 06:03 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by dennis336
I haven't really had that many negative experiences so I'm thankful (lucky??) in that regard. When something negative does happen, it's usually a car passing me by and someone yells out the window (although I did have someone throw a slushy at me once) or maybe passes me at the last minute and takes a corner in front of me while I'm going straight. But, it's not like there's time to pause and talk it out ... I pretty much always just let it go (well I might curse some out of ear shot range) as it's not worth spoiling the rest of the ride for one negative experience when there's so much positive about riding. Well, that, and if I did start a confrontation, there's zero chance that if it turned physical that I wouldn't be the one who got my butt kicked
For the moment, you're helpless, so there's nothing you can do. As much as we may hate to admit it, any response just fuels their continued harassment.
Old 11-30-18, 09:03 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just can't quit this thread

So I was never much for skateboarding, but now and again I enjoy watching skate videos or documentaries. In many of them, skaters will lose their temper with a-hole drivers and get aggressive. In the history of skateboarding has ANYONE ever said, "Oh, hey guys. Doing that just gives ALL skaters a bad name and makes drivers hate us. So don't do it." I doubt it.

I know skaters and bike commuters tend to be a different, not trying to be judgmental, but c'mon now.

So why, as other folks using PUBLIC space for leisure or fun...do cyclists have to be the Nice Guys and not let motorists know we're furious with their treatment of us when they nearly hit us and it's out of SHEER impatience and/or feeling more important and entitled to the road?
Old 11-30-18, 09:11 AM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also understand the "Well, many motorists don't cycle, so they need education, not insults and curses." Yep, I get this too. And I'd LOVE more driver ed in the U.S. for licensing.

But in the meantime, when some just nearly killed me because they feel their time is more important than my life...No, that is NOT the time I'm going to play nice. I'm going to tell them in no uncertain terms that they just nearly killed me, that it is unacceptable, and that I do not appreciate it one single bit.

I'm talking the situation where you're just nearly smashed into by a driver who saw you, realized it was a TERRIBLE time to do what they did...and did it anyway. Fight or flight kicks in for me BIG TIME and I'm not going to ask nicely that they stop driving like that. No, you just made a conscious decision to drive within a few feet of me behind the wheel of a deadly machine....because you're a in rush or you're under the misconception that cyclists don't belong on open, public road spaces. That is when I'm going to vehemently defend myself and my space and my rights.
Old 11-30-18, 10:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@nayr497, in cases like that, I try to use nice words in a nasty voice. I don't know if it's a good strategy, but it's the one I'm trying to use nowadays.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-30-18, 10:54 AM
nayr497

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^I know, this is the best thing to do. I just get so furious when it is a complete lack of giving a S* about my personal safety. This is a better strategy though and do think gets the point across just as well.

I am getting better, at least. Now I can start out with nice words in a mean tone, while concluding, sometimes, with nasty words. In the past it was only nasty. I'm just at a point in life/cycling life that I want to be left alone to ride. I used to not mind confrontations. Now I just have ZERO tolerance for having to put up with that when I'm minding my own business, not bothering anyone, NOT adding to traffic...and someone still has to threaten me. That tends to send me over the edge of nice words
Old 11-30-18, 10:20 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
In Toronto, we are into the 2nd year of VisionZero but still we are on track for the expected 60 to 70 road deaths per year. And everytime a pedestrian or cyclist fatality occurs, the Mayor makes a speech for motorists to be more careful. And yet, the bad driving continues.

If you confront motorists for their dangerous moves on you, two types of reactions are expected. Either the motorist will be defensive and lash back at you or he will be apologetic. I doubt any permanent improvement in driving behaviour will result.
Old 12-02-18, 02:24 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
My experience taught me that going out of your way to confront them is usually a stupid idea. In those rare instances when they do something egregiously negligent or malicious and you happen to catch them at the next light or stop sign, it's best not to scream in their faces. I've found it's best to stay calm and say something like, "Excuse me. I don't know if you're aware of what you did, but you just ________. If you want to know why it's illegal, take the smartphone in your hand and Google statute _____." Then I point to my camera and tell them the next time it happens the video goes straight to the police. It's not bulletproof, but it tends to gain voluntary compliance.
Old 01-05-19, 11:12 AM
jack k
Avid commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am a retired law enforcement officer. I kinda know what I am talking about. Do you have any experience interpreting and applying the law? What he described isn't even close to stalking. I don't think we are allowed to call each other idiots on this forum, so I'll abstain.
Law enforcement is not law interpretation. Do I have experience in interpreting law? Yes, the job I held previous to the one I currently hold involved interpreting new government mandates in reference to 38 CFR, and writing those newly interpreted mandates into SOPs and standards or work for our facility. In fact, our own federal law enforcement on that very campus came to me any time they needed interpretation of a specific policy or law. I thank you for your alleged career as an LEO, but you must not be serious to equate your former profession with that of a judicial staff.

Sorry for the late reply - I am rarely on this forum due to having a life outside of the internet.
Old 01-05-19, 06:39 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
One of the biggest wastes of my time would be trying to convince others their driving has issues. In 99.9% of cases, you are either going to be ignored or aggravating the situation.

Now the few situations of people purposefully harassing me? I've taken to waving with a big smile on my face or blowing kisses at them. They seem to not know how to react to that.
Similarly, I give a thumbs up sign as to say, if your intention is to be a complete idiot, mission accomplished
Old 01-05-19, 06:45 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by jack k
Law enforcement is not law interpretation. Do I have experience in interpreting law? Yes, the job I held previous to the one I currently hold involved interpreting new government mandates in reference to 38 CFR, and writing those newly interpreted mandates into SOPs and standards or work for our facility. In fact, our own federal law enforcement on that very campus came to me any time they needed interpretation of a specific policy or law. I thank you for your alleged career as an LEO, but you must not be serious to equate your former profession with that of a judicial staff.

Sorry for the late reply - I am rarely on this forum due to having a life outside of the internet.
To be honest, LE can't do one without the other. Which is why we have the judiciary. Too bad its all theoretical.
Old 02-07-19, 09:52 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I love the people who yell at you while tucking their head behind the door post so that they can't be seen. If they get stopped at a light, you don't have to go say anything. Just stare in the back window and watch them cower.

The only time I get overly aggressive is when I'm out with my visually impaired wife on our tandem. A year ago, an idiot threw a can of something at us and it hit her in the back. They were the luckiest people alive that day because I did not catch them. Another time someone cut in front of us real close and I caught up to them at a stop light. I let them know my displeasure and a teen in the back started giving me "The look". They ended up running through the red light rather than remain.

Usually I raise my hands in a shrug are clap for them.
Old 02-07-19, 11:47 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bakerjw
I love the people who yell at you while tucking their head behind the door post so that they can't be seen. If they get stopped at a light, you don't have to go say anything. Just stare in the back window and watch them cower.

The only time I get overly aggressive is when I'm out with my visually impaired wife on our tandem. A year ago, an idiot threw a can of something at us and it hit her in the back. They were the luckiest people alive that day because I did not catch them. Another time someone cut in front of us real close and I caught up to them at a stop light. I let them know my displeasure and a teen in the back started giving me "The look". They ended up running through the red light rather than remain.

Usually I raise my hands in a shrug are clap for them.
I've gotten that more than once. On one occasion it was a bunch of yokels in a pickup truck. They drove up behind me (which is now why I get agitated whenever a vehicle moves comes alongside moving at my bicycling speed) and lobbed an egg, hitting me square in the back.

Of course they expected me to fly into a rage yelling obscenities and they'd get a good laugh at it. Instead, I just kept riding as if nothing had happened and tuned at the next corner and rode to the highway for safety.

In truth I was terrified since it felt like being struck with a bottle and it had shattered into my back (it felt like a thousand shards of glass), which confirmed when I felt the goo that I thought was my blood.

I later realized the reason the impact had such force was due to the moment of the truck that accelerated the throw. I got a mirror after that, and won't leave home without it. Some people are just miserable.
Old 02-07-19, 01:41 PM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I posted this in 2008 on another forum:

I was having a pretty good ride last night down around Mason, enjoying the coolish but sunny weather. About 20 miles in, I had just turned onto a little country road and was approaching a small hill. As I started my climb, I noted a car behind me--it was hanging back which didn't cause me any alarm--there were a couple of on-coming cars just cresting the hill and there wasn't room to pass. Once they'd cleared, I heard the car behind me accelerate so I glanced again in my mirror, and saw they'd swung well into the left lane to overtake (good) but that a young fellow on the passenger side was leaning out the window with his fist raised. (not good!) I just had time to think, "aw crap," before they passed and I felt a light impact on my left hand--they'd thrown a 1/2-eaten hot dog in a bun at me! Lots of yellow mustard, it seemed--I had some on my glove and all over my brake hood and lever.

I was pissed, of course--raised up the ol' single finger salute. But here's the kicker--these guys had just pulled out of a driveway I'd passed at the base of the hill. I'd seen them getting into the car when I rode by! I've had to shrug off a few rude drivers over the years; this seemed a chance to get in a return shot. So, after a moment's consideration, I turned around and rode back to the house. Rang the doorbell, and another young fellow answered--he claims he surely had no idea who might've left the place in a white Grand Am about three minutes ago. Well, heck, why would he? So I told him "well, I'll just call the cops-maybe they can help you remember." Walking my bike down the drive, I pulled out my cell phone (first time I've had to use it for a ride occurence since I bought it for just this purpose a few years back) and call the sheriff's office. I was shaking, reaction, anger and the chill air once I'd stopped moving, but I felt pretty determined to see it through at this point.

The dispatcher took the address info and an outline of the story, and told me to wait there "if I didn't feel in any danger," and an officer would be there directly. The kid in the house seemed more sheepish than pissed, so I stuck around.

I chewed on a Clif bar to calm myself while waiting, and wished I could have just had a nice ride instead of standing there watching the mustard dry on my brake lever. I had time to wonder if the cop would be supportive, whether I should've just let it slide. After a few minutes, a car approached and slowed. It pulled into the driveway and a 40ish woman looked over at me. I walked over and told her my tale of woe. To her credit, she was immediately sympathetic and angry at the kids--the driver was her son, and she allowed that a grounding with no car might help him resist similar acts in the future. We talked a bit, and then she went inside. She came right back out again, said "I knew where they went, so I've called them to get back here and apologize. They were pretty shocked that you were here!" She then stayed outside with me until the Deputy arrived He was very professional and took the act seriously. He asked me if I wanted to press charges of assault. I told him if we could give the kids a talking to, I'd settle for an apology and a promise to not do such things in the future, which is pretty much what I got when they got back shortly after. They were pretty sheepish, pretty obviously more sorry they'd been caught than for the act, but for 17-18 year old males, pretty contrite. I was a hell-raiser myself at that age, responsible for more than my share of stupid stunts, so I told them, "you'll look back on this when you're my age and wonder how you could've ever been such a dumb ass." The driver even got a wet cloth and cleaned off my brake hood so I could ride back to my car without getting more mustard on my glove.

Talking with the mom and then the cop had pretty much drained my anger about the whole thing and I was even a bit embarrassed at the stink I'd made, justified though I think it was. Plus I was quite chilled and it was getting late and I really just wanted to go home. I joked with the kids a little more than I had planned and in hindsight I wonder if they really got the scare I wanted them to. I spent a lot of time last night second guessing myself about what I said, should have said and so on. But all in all, I think they were forced to acknowledge that someone on a bike was not a target for cheap laughs and that maybe pitching garbage at a stranger from a speeding car wasn't the best way to amuse oneself. In the end, I just hope that is the lesson that sticks...like mustard.

I've been riding these roads for 15 years now, and this is the first time I've actually been contacted by anything--the occasional shouted swear word or impatient passer, but never before have anyone actually reached out and touched me, as it were. I am somewhat pleased that I was able to reach right back in this instance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.