Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Problems with website

Old 06-03-18, 11:05 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Problems with website

Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with this website? Ever since the upgrade it is real slow, quite often reloading the page, very hard to write posts, just not working like it used to before the upgrade. It is one of my favorite websites to visit and now one of the worst to look at, ranking up there with MTBR and Road bike review and their problems just like this site now. I use an iPad (and updated) as I always have. I go to BROL and their sites and it works great so I know it's this website (and the others I mention). Any insight to get things working like they used to would be appreciated and thanks in advance! It's becoming not fun to come here anymore with all the problems that were not here before the upgrade.
Old 06-04-18, 03:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Speed seems fine to me.

There could be a few other improvements to the place but the speed is all right.

Last edited by Machka; 06-04-18 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-04-18, 04:02 AM
Patriot1 
Retired loving & Life!

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
No issues here.
Old 06-04-18, 04:34 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling to Forum Suggestions and User Assistance.

Old 06-04-18, 06:48 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
At the bottom left of each page is a drop down where you can select the mobile version and or the "classic version" of the full site. I'm not an ipad guy, but on many mobile browsers you sometimes also have to choose to show th mobile version in the preference. Maybe that might help.
Old 06-04-18, 07:39 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Bizman
Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble with this website? Ever since the upgrade it is real slow, quite often reloading the page, very hard to write posts, just not working like it used to before the upgrade. It is one of my favorite websites to visit and now one of the worst to look at, ranking up there with MTBR and Road bike review and their problems just like this site now. I use an iPad (and updated) as I always have. I go to BROL and their sites and it works great so I know it's this website (and the others I mention). Any insight to get things working like they used to would be appreciated and thanks in advance! It's becoming not fun to come here anymore with all the problems that were not here before the upgrade.
i too have the same issues still. After a change I expected some issues but its been a bit now do i too am getting close to bailing out. Getting frustrated with trying to even read the posts anymore.
Old 06-04-18, 11:05 AM
IBThomas
Banned.

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info. The website info slowdown is concerning. I'll raise the issue with our tech guys to see if there's something we can do about it. You may want to try clearing your cache/cookies in browser and using an alternate browser. I'm assuming you're using Safari on an Ipad, so try using Chrome if you can.
Old 06-04-18, 08:32 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by IBThomas
Thanks for the info. The website info slowdown is concerning. I'll raise the issue with our tech guys to see if there's something we can do about it. You may want to try clearing your cache/cookies in browser and using an alternate browser. I'm assuming you're using Safari on an Ipad, so try using Chrome if you can.
also fyi i have issues one firefix and ie. don’t have a lick of issues on phone version. Just prefer desktop for typing.
Old 06-04-18, 09:15 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
When was the last time you logged off and back in, cleared your cache?
Old 06-05-18, 12:49 AM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Originally Posted by BobbyG
At the bottom left of each page is a drop down where you can select the mobile version and or the "classic version" of the full site. I'm not an ipad guy, but on many mobile browsers you sometimes also have to choose to show th mobile version in the preference. Maybe that might help.
Thanks for the tip, I am in mobile mode and I did sign out and back in like the other poster said. I hit quote to quote you the page went blank and at the top right corner it said "a problem occurred and the page needed to be reloaded. I hit quote again and then I am able to type. However, when typing you type several words and they don't show right away the all of a sudden they appear. Browsing through threads is very slow and inconsistent and very hard to try and scroll down through a thread. As I said this site along with MTBR, and Road Bike Review are the only sires this happens on so I don't think it's on my end?

Yes I am using safari and don't know how to use another browser? As I said this site worked great until the upgrade just like the other sites. Right now it's so hard to type I can't see the ends of the paragraph I am trying to type. Thanks for your efforts to help fix this as it's very frustrating being one of my favorite sites to visit.
Old 06-05-18, 08:44 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Rollfast
When was the last time you logged off and back in, cleared your cache?
tried this and other tricks. I think it’s just way to add heavy, was bad before now it’s just a bulkier product I think. Not impressed right now.
Old 06-05-18, 09:41 AM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the tip, I am in mobile mode and I did sign out and back in like the other poster said. I hit quote to quote you the page went blank and at the top right corner it said "a problem occurred and the page needed to be reloaded. I hit quote again and then I am able to type. However, when typing you type several words and they don't show right away the all of a sudden they appear. Browsing through threads is very slow and inconsistent and very hard to try and scroll down through a thread. As I said this site along with MTBR, and Road Bike Review are the only sires this happens on so I don't think it's on my end?

Yes I am using safari and don't know how to use another browser? As I said this site worked great until the upgrade just like the other sites. Right now it's so hard to type I can't see the ends of the paragraph I am trying to type. Thanks for your efforts to help fix this as it's very frustrating being one of my favorite sites to visit.
See if you can clear your cache/cookies. All that memory might be slowing down your browser.
Old 06-05-18, 10:29 AM
Bizman

Originally Posted by sdmc530

tried this and other tricks. I think it’s just way to add heavy, was bad before now it’s just a bulkier product I think. Not impressed right now.
Ditto this with the adds as well as trying suggested tricks! I have tried clearing cookies like IBThomas just suggested and still working the same. Just trying to type is slow and not real responsive. although right now I am actually seeing the whole paragraph while writing this post.
Old 06-07-18, 12:14 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
I use Chrome on my iPad. Downloaded from the app store.
Old 06-07-18, 12:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I downgraded at the same time the website upgraded, so I can't say how my other laptop would have reacted to the upgrades, or how this one would have worked with the old site.

However, BikeForums is very heavy with third party scripts including requiring third party scripts for the new photo manager.

The only way that Bike Forums will reasonably run on my current laptop (Puppy/Chrome/1GB) is to use NoScript Lite.

Allow scripts from: https://cimg1.ibsrv.net to get the new images to work... WHY?

I don't get the fancy editing buttons, and the Bike Forums static Header and Footer wipes out half my screen so I have a tiny box to view the forum. I know most of the common BB code that I need for formatting, and can type them in manually.

I've wondered about the mobile version. I see where It can be selected, perhaps I'll try it. Mobile seems to work fine on my phone (chrome), although fonts are a bit mixed up.
Old 06-07-18, 07:55 PM
Bizman

The site is still not working good and I would say even worse since I asked about problems with it and starting this thread. I say it's now worse than ever and all I could do to type this out. Like Clifford said, the header and footers are so big you can hardly see the screen. I will keep doing my commuting miles but other than that I am giving the site a rest. It's just to frustrating to visit anymore, it's a shame as it was one of my favorite bike forums to visit.
Old 06-08-18, 10:44 AM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The site is still not working good and I would say even worse since I asked about problems with it and starting this thread. I say it's now worse than ever and all I could do to type this out. Like Clifford said, the header and footers are so big you can hardly see the screen. I will keep doing my commuting miles but other than that I am giving the site a rest. It's just to frustrating to visit anymore, it's a shame as it was one of my favorite bike forums to visit.
Does this display problem happen on all your browsers. I'm concerned that our update may not be compatible with some users display settings because this is not a wide spread problem as far as I can tell.
Old 06-08-18, 06:30 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I downgraded at the same time the website upgraded, so I can't say how my other laptop would have reacted to the upgrades, or how this one would have worked with the old site.

However, BikeForums is very heavy with third party scripts including requiring third party scripts for the new photo manager.

The only way that Bike Forums will reasonably run on my current laptop (Puppy/Chrome/1GB) is to use NoScript Lite.

Allow scripts from: https://cimg1.ibsrv.net to get the new images to work... WHY?

I don't get the fancy editing buttons, and the Bike Forums static Header and Footer wipes out half my screen so I have a tiny box to view the forum. I know most of the common BB code that I need for formatting, and can type them in manually.

I've wondered about the mobile version. I see where It can be selected, perhaps I'll try it. Mobile seems to work fine on my phone (chrome), although fonts are a bit mixed up.
Because https://cimg1.ibsrv.net is the image server for Internet Brands and this site.

What is the deal with Puppy? You can probably install Linux Mint.
Old 06-10-18, 08:37 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

PS Sometimes this platform posts SO fast it gets done before me
Old 06-10-18, 09:08 PM
Bizman

Does this display problem happen on all your browsers. I'm concerned that our update may not be compatible with some users display settings because this is not a wide spread problem as far as I can tell.
I am not sure what you mean about all my browsers? If you mean safari that is what I use? I use this iPad for everything and the only places it acts up are this site, MTBR, and road bike review. This site worked fine before the upgrade, it is almost beyond usable concerning trying to look at or type things. I have tried all the little things you said\others said to check and still not any better. I do appreciate and want the thank you for your concern and efforts to try and help me get this fixed, its very much appreciated! I just want to be able to enjoy the site as it was before the upgrade!
Old 06-11-18, 09:37 AM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not sure what you mean about all my browsers? If you mean safari that is what I use? I use this iPad for everything and the only places it acts up are this site, MTBR, and road bike review. This site worked fine before the upgrade, it is almost beyond usable concerning trying to look at or type things. I have tried all the little things you said\others said to check and still not any better. I do appreciate and want the thank you for your concern and efforts to try and help me get this fixed, its very much appreciated! I just want to be able to enjoy the site as it was before the upgrade!
I was trying to find out if maybe this was a problem specific to the browser you were using or if it happened on other browsers like Chrome.
Are you using the mobile site or the full site? The full site is not optimized for tablets and the display gets a bit off.
Old 06-12-18, 12:21 AM
Bizman

I was trying to find out if maybe this was a problem specific to the browser you were using or if it happened on other browsers like Chrome.
Are you using the mobile site or the full site? The full site is not optimized for tablets and the display gets a bit off.
Yes I am using the mobile site. I was having a terrible time just getting to this thread so I just replied through my email notification.
Old 06-12-18, 12:31 AM
Bizman

Yes I am using the mobile site. I was having a terrible time just getting to this thread so I just replied through my email notification.
I stand corrected, I thought I was in mobile but was in bikeforums NG. I tried mobile and that didn't have a good look? I am on default style now and it is looking and working a little better and will try this to see how it works out.
Old 06-12-18, 01:00 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Because https://cimg1.ibsrv.net is the image server for Internet Brands and this site.

What is the deal with Puppy? You can probably install Linux Mint.
The issue is not with Puppy... or the OS for that matter.

Puppy is on this machine because it is running an extremely light OS version, and Bike Forums is a resource HOG. Both network speed, memory, and processing power.

It likely impacts other users that have limited memory, processing power, or a slow internet connection.

I did resolve the static header/footer issues I was having by turning off "Infinite Scroll" in the user options.

https://www.bikeforums.net/profile.php?do=editoptions

Odd, but I can no longer see the option now that it is turned off. But, it provided no benefits, and lots of headaches.
Old 06-12-18, 10:53 AM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The issue is not with Puppy... or the OS for that matter.

Puppy is on this machine because it is running an extremely light OS version, and Bike Forums is a resource HOG. Both network speed, memory, and processing power.

It likely impacts other users that have limited memory, processing power, or a slow internet connection.

I did resolve the static header/footer issues I was having by turning off "Infinite Scroll" in the user options.

https://www.bikeforums.net/profile.php?do=editoptions

Odd, but I can no longer see the option now that it is turned off. But, it provided no benefits, and lots of headaches.
We just deployed a bit of a server upgrade. hopefully this help mitigate some of the problems with BikeForums hogging up resources.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.