Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

E biking is the best

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

E biking is the best

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 09:09 PM
5doomslayer4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E biking is the best

Helps preserve the environment: reduces air contamination, ecological footprint, is healthy and very inexpensive! Bicycles are a wonderful means of transportation that helps preserve the environment: it reduces air contamination, ecological footprints, carbon emissions, is healthy and very inexpensive!
Old 08-21-18, 02:20 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5doomslayer4
Helps preserve the environment: reduces air contamination, ecological footprint, is healthy and very inexpensive! Bicycles are a wonderful means of transportation that helps preserve the environment: it reduces air contamination, ecological footprints, carbon emissions, is healthy and very inexpensive!
Does not Help. Harms less than many things. Harms more than a pedal-power bicycle. Harms more than walking. Harms less than driving.
Old 08-21-18, 02:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Pedal-power bicycles are the best.

Or walking ... walking is good too.

(What's with the weird bolding?)
Old 08-21-18, 11:07 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
E bikes are better than cars and for some people they are a good introduction, or re-introduction to cycling. I recently talked to a woman who said she loved biking when young, but got away from it, and is now on an e bike. Perhaps she'll get back to a regular bike.

E-bikes have become very popular in Europe. I was in a town in France recently and more people are using bikes, including e-bikes, in town because it is just not possible to park a car much of the day.

e-bike,
Old 08-21-18, 11:31 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In other words nothing is best. It depends on the budget, personality, fitness, family, desires, age, etc etc. When there was one kind of bicycle long ago, that one was best. The question is increasingly ill-defined since then.

Last edited by Walter S; 08-21-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 01:34 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good points about "nothing is best" and etc. elided.

If we agree on a goal, there may be something which is optimal.

I suggest the appropriate goal is to replace the maximum number of errand/commuting (to/from work, school, store) trips. An ebike is far more efficient than an ecar; and is usable by a wider range of people than purely pedal powered bike.

In my context (greater Denver area), I can get downtown from my home by ebike faster than by light rail. With a trailer I can hit Costco and make the trip worthwhile. Enough of what I need to do is within 20miles (1 way) and thus ebikable ... so much so that I got rid of my car nearly 2 years ago. I think a majority of adults *could* do the same, or at least for a substantial fraction of their trips.

The same cannot be said of a non-power assisted bike (hills, loads, longer trip duration/schedule pressure). So I concur with the OP, that ebikes may be "best" in the sense of maximizing the number of utility trips that can be displaced.
Old 08-23-18, 09:54 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Riding an E-Bike (if you want to ride a bicycle as transportation OR for fun) IS the best way to...

1; Get where you want to go faster.
2; Get there less sweaty.
3; Get there and carry more load.
4; Get up hills with the same amount of effort as riding on level ground.
5; Ride like if the wind was behind you all the time.
6; Ride/pedal like normal, or get to rest/ease back and still keep moving at a normal pace.
7; If you get the "right type" of E-Assist E-Bike, you can pick from no assist at all and ride the bike like a normal bicycle, or a % of assist added onto your pedaling effort...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-23-18 at 10:08 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 08-23-18, 12:36 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
It's too expensive. And the risk of battery fire burning down yur house at night while charging; if you don't buy from a name brand.

But I've heard e bikes are much cheaper in Asia.

I would get one next time I'm there and bring it back.

But come to think, I really don't need the electric assist. THere's no hills around here. And my legs are strong. On windy days, I wish for e-assists...but I just use discipline and power thru and get even stronger!

Down side of e bike...is it will make you weak.
Could, not will, make you weak/weaker... That part depends totally on how you use it... Every time I start to think, WOW I am getting so fit while riding my E-Assist bike I just turn the assist off and I get put in my place real quick and start to use the assist less and pedal more. So it's not the E-Bike that is a problem per say it's how you "can" use it...
Old 08-26-18, 11:09 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I've never seen an e-bike with a decent horn tank.
Old 08-26-18, 11:30 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
It's too expensive. And the risk of battery fire burning down yur house at night while charging; if you don't buy from a name brand.

Down side of e bike...is it will make you weak.
It's all in how you use it. It can be (1) a re-entry to cycling, leading to purchase of a standard bike (like me!), (2) an occasional assist when using your bike instead of a car to carry cargo, (3) a confidence boosting backup when riding longer distances than one normally does, etc. Pedaling longer on an ebike compared to shorter rides on a standard bike - which one improves fitness the most? Using assist (not full on throttle) for 30 miles could easily be a better workout than riding unassisted for 10 miles. And, yes, riding unassisted 30 miles is the best workout, but maybe that e-assist helps you get there but you wouldn't consider it on a traditional bike. So - no it does not make you weak unless you use it like a moped. And - for some folks, it actually keeps them riding past the time in their physical lives when a regular bike is a no go due to health issues.
Old 08-26-18, 11:31 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The things that a ebike does better than a bicycle, a car does better still. The things that a ebike does better than a car, a bicycle does better still.
Old 08-26-18, 12:07 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

When in San Francisco I'd rather take a cable car.
Old 08-26-18, 02:24 PM
Sir Lunch-a-lot

Bikes: Montague Folding/E-Bike, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The way I see it, if you want to be a human-powered-purist, all the power to you. With my low fitness level, eBiking has made commuting to work by bike every day totally feasible. I briefly worried about the fact that I was relying on an expensive machine to help me get to work, but then I realized that this was no different than relying on my car (an expensive machine) to get to work, plus it has the benefit that it is a bike.

For me, for riding to work, eBikes are the best. For riding to my local grocery store or to church or anywhere else nearby, a regular bike is "the best".
Old 08-26-18, 05:27 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Rollfast
When in San Francisco I'd rather take a cable car.
Have you ever actually ridden an E-Bike.? Because...
Old 08-26-18, 05:38 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Machka

Yes, pedal power IS best, except, when one starts to NOT, ride as much as one used to as/when one gets older... and then, the E-Assist allows one to ride more/farther, and more often, then the E-assist becomes a big plus+++.

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-26-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 06:01 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Walter S
The things that a ebike does better than a bicycle, a car does better still. The things that a ebike does better than a car, a bicycle does better still.
Except....a car has major environmental consequences versus very limited consequences from an ebike. And some ebikes can also be regular bikes, via a wheel swap or just removing some QR components so you have BOTH when desired. You don't really prefer people drive when they could ride an ebike do you? I see parents taking kids to school all the time on long-tail e bikes. It's good that they are not using their car but they would not be doing that on a traditional bike. And ebikes are a lot easier to park than a car and cheaper to maintain.....so, no, a car does not do the same better in every case.
Old 08-26-18, 06:19 PM
350htrr

While I agree 100% in your "theory", FOR PERSONAL use. No, a car is Not the same, or even come's close to an E-Bike to "get the job done" for the masses, as when you start to consider the "impact on the environment" when everyone starts to use one, considering the inherent downfalls/future problem's it is starting to be causing , IMO. Yes, a car is a TOTAL fail at what it does, "in the long run, once you start to consider the cost to the environment, YES, it is a TOTAL FAIL, in the long run, as a sustainable way of transport for the masses, ( ICE type of vehicles anyways)... IMO

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-26-18 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 12:06 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by Machka

Wait until you are done, highlight and apply bolding etc.where needed.
Old 08-27-18, 12:08 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Yes, pedal power IS best, except, when one starts to NOT, ride as much as one used to as/when one gets older... and then, the E-Assist allows one to ride more/farther, and more often, then the E-assist becomes a big plus+++.
I like pedaling, just not on the freeway to eat turkey dinner for the holidaze 40 miles away at Mom's.
Old 08-27-18, 11:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Uber 'to focus on bikes over cars'

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45317025

Old 08-28-18, 10:37 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Rollfast
I like pedaling, just not on the freeway to eat turkey dinner for the holidaze 40 miles away at Mom's.
Maybe not on the freeway, but let's be honest, pedaling would be a smart thing after pigging out on Thanksgiving dinner!
Old 08-31-18, 11:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I have cycled on Interstate Highways. It's not always bad.
Old 08-31-18, 01:57 PM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
That right there is some wisdom..
Old 09-18-18, 01:18 AM
spofosho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've wanted an e bike for a long time. Not as a bike replacement (I wouldn't want that even if I could) but as a car replacement. I'm currently not car free but aspire to be. For me having an e bike would increase the distance I'd be willing to travel and things I'd be willing to carry on two wheels. In my life it would definitely replace more car trips than bike trips.
Old 09-21-18, 06:21 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Hacked and hopped up ebikes are better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.