Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How flexible are you?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How flexible are you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 06:16 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcrawler
Lay down on the ground on your back and try to make a 90 degree angle by lifting your legs (one by one of course).

I fail this test as I can make only a 60 degree angle with my left leg while I can lift my right leg almost straight.

Is it due to tight hamstrings do you think? Or some gluteal muscles? How do you think I can correct this and make both legs equally flexible?
​​​​​​
P.s. I don't ride for about five years due to some patellafemoral syndrome. I wonder if it has to do anything with this and maybe I can ride again if I can correct this.
In what way is failing this criterion a failure? Where does it prove that it is necessary to satisfy this criterion?
Old 02-03-19, 09:19 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by jim p
Do some forward folds as in yoga and hang in the pose for 5 to 10 minutes several times a day. Relax in the folds and let the hamstrings slowly stretch. It takes time to increase flexibility. Don't force the muscles and tendons to lengthen. Don't spring or bounce when you are stretching.
Yes, this is a great yoga position, but my yoga teacher always says to be aware of pain at the top of the thigh in the back. That's where your various hamstrings attach to the pelvis, and to injure the tendons there is a long recovery. We're taught to stretch as far as possible but do not cause pain at the ends of a muscle. You want to stress the muscle, not the tendon.
Old 02-03-19, 02:43 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
After many years of doing forward (back, glute, and ham) stretches and never getting much relief from my lower back pain, I discovered McKenzie: https://www.spineone.com/blog/mckenz...hod-back-pain/
Fixed me right up the first day I did them. A revelation.
Old 02-03-19, 03:03 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
To answer the original question, I'm flexible enough for everyday life. Never saw the point of trying to increase flexibility, even before the studies started coming out that reported damaged connective tissue in some frequent stretchers.

I understand that stretching can be essential for people who have to live with certain kinds of chronic pain. That doesn't describe all the people posting about their stretching regimens, though.

At 67, aside from arthritis in my left elbow from breaking it at age 5 and again at age 11, I have no joint flexibility problems. I can probably thank having been a lifelong cyclist for that. Sometimes it sounds as if talk of how much people can bend is simply a matter of bragging rights. What is flexibility beyond the norm good for?

Last edited by Trakhak; 02-03-19 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-03-19, 05:57 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
To answer the original question, I'm flexible enough for everyday life. Never saw the point of trying to increase flexibility, even before the studies started coming out that reported damaged connective tissue in some frequent stretchers.

I understand that stretching can be essential for people who have to live with certain kinds of chronic pain. That doesn't describe all the people posting about their stretching regimens, though.

At 67, aside from arthritis in my left elbow from breaking it at age 5 and again at age 11, I have no joint flexibility problems. I can probably thank having been a lifelong cyclist for that. Sometimes it sounds as if talk of how much people can bend is simply a matter of bragging rights. What is flexibility beyond the norm good for?
I started stretching at about your age when I started to get bursitis in my knees from my tendons being too tight. No more bursitis, and I only had to pedal about 10 miles without using my left leg and just that once before I fixed it. Before that, ordinary strength work in the gym had been enough to keep using a slammed -17° stem on my racing frame. Yeah, you're good now and maybe forever but age happens.