Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roof Racks

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Roof Racks

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 11:52 PM
DT Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Roof Racks

Our old Subaru Outback was old, had high mileage and the transmission went. We ended up replacing it with a new outback but the old rack wont work on the new car.

My question is are any of you using tandem racks on factory cross bars?

I picked up a Yakima sidewinder and would like to use the factory cross bars. They are rated for 150 lbs. Our bike weighs 50 lbs plus 20 to 25 for the rack. It seems we should have plenty of capacity.

We have carried the bike inside the car but I don't like having to take both wheels off and I don't want greasy chain marks in the car.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you,

Don,
Old 12-11-18, 05:28 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Nothing to offer on roof racks, but on the greasy stain topic there are several things:

- convert timing chain to a belt.
- ditch the chain lube and hot wax the chain. You can grab the chain with your bare hands and not get dirty fingers.
- get a dog seat cover. These conveniently hang from the head rests and offer great and manageable protection. Many are available, here is an example https://www.amazon.com/BarksBar-Orig...ammock+for+car just hang from the front headrests. I use this with my half bike in me crv
Old 12-13-18, 12:27 PM

Bikes: 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2009 Santana Tandem, 2023 Sanitas Custom Node

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
We use the Yakima rack with the factory bars on our 2015 Outback. We have had not problems, but I don't like the amount of side to side flex I can induce with the bike mounted. Doesn't seem to flex to much on the road.
Old 12-13-18, 08:43 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
From Yakima.com:

"For the couple that loves to bike together, there’s the SideWinder. Featuring a swing out arm allowing one person to load a tandem bike with ease. Fork-mount style that won’t interfere with most hatchbacks. Fits Yakima round or square crossbars only. "

Since Yakima can't vouch for every manufacturer's crossbar strength and shape, they limit what attachments will fit them. The tandem carriers have almost always not been spec'd to work with factory crossbars. You'll need Skyline towers and round bars. That's what I understand, but I haven't had to think about Yakima roofrack compatibility in quite a while.
Old 12-14-18, 07:56 AM
DT Tandem

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the reply's if the weather is good i will give it a try this weekend.
Old 12-15-18, 12:30 PM
Yamato72

Bikes: '12 Felt F85, '14 Felt Edict Nine 1, '15 C'dale T1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
From Yakima.com:

"For the couple that loves to bike together, there’s the SideWinder. Featuring a swing out arm allowing one person to load a tandem bike with ease. Fork-mount style that won’t interfere with most hatchbacks. Fits Yakima round or square crossbars only. "

Since Yakima can't vouch for every manufacturer's crossbar strength and shape, they limit what attachments will fit them. The tandem carriers have almost always not been spec'd to work with factory crossbars. You'll need Skyline towers and round bars. That's what I understand, but I haven't had to think about Yakima roofrack compatibility in quite a while.
I have WhispBars on my truck and picked up a Sidewinder shortly after we got our ~38lb tandem. Yakima makes WhispBar/factory aero bar adapters for the older bike mounts but yes, they specifically forbid using them with the Sidewinder due to the potential weight of tandems (that's what they told me when I called them). I keep an eye on it but I have no concerns after using this for a year and making about 20 trips with it. I think the market for the Sidewinder is so small that they have not paid attention to the fact that modern road tandems are a lot lighter.

Old 12-16-18, 04:42 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have an ATOC tandem Topper. It's attached to Yakima bars attached to the stock rack on our Forester. It works well, and I can load and unload the tandem by myself.