Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Powering dynamo-type lights with a battery

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Powering dynamo-type lights with a battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 05:33 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Years ago on a sidewall alternator with incandescent bulb I wired in a couple zener diodes to trim off the voltage peaks when I went down hills. I think I used 8 volt diodes.
IIRC, that was a somewhat recommended practice.
To some degree, it was to protect the taillight bulb when the headlight bulb blew out. The headlight bulbs were only rated for 100 hours life, so it wasn't as if you expected it to last years and years.

I've got a little Jos dynamoblock light that is the only sidewall dynamo I've used, and I've never used a tail light with it...

.... but now I'm wondering how well the bottle dynamos regulated their current, at least in comparison to hub dynamos. Their inductance must be a lot less, but their AC frequency is quite a bit higher. Maybe their current regulation is similar to hub dynamos??

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-27-19, 05:39 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
.... I did not say I was ignorant of basic circuit electronics. Does it sound like I am? ....
I would have sworn that you said this:

What I do know, however, is that LED bulbs (Light Emitting Diodes) must have DC in order to work. .......
So if the generator hub is producing AC then there is a bridge rectifier somewhere, either in the hub itself, or in the housing of the light, but you cannot present an LED light bulb with AC, it simply won't work. ......

If I'm mistaken,, then I apologize.

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-27-19, 08:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Thanks a lot for that, @steelbikeguy. I don't follow all of it, but it helps. So the lights have various different designs, so we can't generalize how they would act when treating them not as intended.

I have a sidewall dynamo and ran a voltmeter across it with no load. Just on the repair stand where I probably didn't make a lot of speed, it went to 35V.

And thanks, @fietsbob for the e-bike light reference. I think I'll toss out this whole idea. There are perfectly fine battery lights, and there are more and more all the time, and they're getting better, too. I could figure out how to bolt them on well if I really need to.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-27-19, 10:06 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
How does a generator, dependent on the wildly varying speeds of a bicycle wheel maintain a constant alternating current?
It doesn't! There is a Busch & Müller tail light (Busch & Müller) that monitors the frequency of the AC from the dynohub. When it detects a sudden decrease in the frequency, it increases the brightness of the light... a brake light without a switch or any other connection to the brakes themselves(!).

What I do know, however, is that LED bulbs (Light Emitting Diodes) must have DC in order to work. And the polarity of the DC matters, as an earlier poster discovered, since all diodes block current flowing in the 'wrong' direction, it's just that most diodes don't also emit light.
LEDs, being diodes themselves, can rectify an alternating current. They just don't produce light when they are "reverse-biased". Unless the frequency of the AC is very low, the intermittent light emission is not detectable by the human eye.
But that's not the reason most lights designed to operate off of a dynohub won't work properly on DC. If the light has different levels of brightness, there is a more complicated circuit that provides pulses of DC to the LED array. See "Pulse Width Modulation". That circuitry is designed to work off of AC in most lights intended for use with dynohubs. Many of these lights are also made in a slightly different format to operate on DC (for e-bikes) as noted earlier.
Old 01-27-19, 10:32 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
DC may be considered a zero-frequency limit of AC. I have been testing any possible dynamo light I got my hands on with a DC power supply set to 6V and I never had any problems aside from occasional quirks tied to polarity. The set did not include Supernova but I doubt an e-bike's circuitry runs on 6V.
Old 01-28-19, 02:10 PM
Fatikngage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nazcalines
I just tried this with a v1 Edelux. I was expecting the light to work regardless of polarity, but it only works one way (with the power to the bare wire and gnd to the insulated). Seems to be easily bright enough to use at 5V and gets barely brighter going up to 6V. I measured 100mA at 5V and 200mA at 6V. I'm going to try using it with a 4 pack of AA nimh cells.
hmm
Old 04-06-19, 05:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
An acquaintance of mine told me he hooked up a 5V battery to his dynamo lights, and it worked fine.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.