Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Drivers Should Look Left Before Opening Door

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Drivers Should Look Left Before Opening Door

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 10:02 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
People are w*****s when in a car, and don't think or care about what's going on out side.
Old 01-08-19, 12:02 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Another option is to replace all parallel parking with angled parking. The only dooring would be if one parked car dinged another parked car. Motorists are always forced to look backwards when leaving the parking space and therefore will lookout for pedestrians, cyclists and other cars.
Old 01-08-19, 01:26 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I...So I can avoid the door zone completely and place myself in the lane of traffic where motorist don't observe the 3 ft rule. I effectively trade one potential moment of danger for another. If I see someone exiting their car do I move over out of the door zone and into the lane of an oncoming motorist?...
When I am "forced" to ride in the door zone, which does happen occasionally, i handle it by SLOWING DOWN and looking inside each car if the windows aren't tinted. If I see what looks like a head on the left side of the car, front or rear, i SLOW DOWN even more with my fingers already pulling the brake levers slightly.
Old 01-08-19, 09:28 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
When I am "forced" to ride in the door zone, which does happen occasionally, i handle it by SLOWING DOWN and looking inside each car if the windows aren't tinted. If I see what looks like a head on the left side of the car, front or rear, i SLOW DOWN even more with my fingers already pulling the brake levers slightly.
Of course "slow down". A bike on the road should go slower? Thing is, does the rest of the world slow down to match you? Motorist would love bikes on the road to go slower.

BTW, what about road hazards, debris, pedestrians, signals, signs and all the motorist doing wacky, illegal and unpredictable, unsafe things. Do you get to look ahead into every car you're approaching and watch all of that other stuff that's happening at the same time? Of course you could slow down even further until you're basically at walking speed, but then that would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?

At that point you can just dismount and walk. Then again, people still collide even when they're waking? Maybe they're walking too fast and need to slow down as well? Now that you mention it, the world should slow down. Why do we need to travel at 500 mph anyways? Your logic fails. Please try again later.
Old 01-08-19, 11:39 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Just when I thought this thread could not get any sillier ...
Old 01-09-19, 08:42 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Is it really a cut and dried slam-dunk, like rear-ending someone? My guess is that it varies from state to state.

It matters a lot, both in making the cyclist/victim's post-accident life easier and as a deterrent to careless door operation.

When my buddy got doored in VA in 2014 IIRC, VA did not have a law on the books that burdened motorists with making sure it was safe to open their door. Cycling advocacy groups had been pushing for it for a few years, but the legislature had repeatedly rejected it. A few years later VA finally passed the law.

https://www.waba.org/blog/2016/04/do...w-in-virginia/
Old 01-09-19, 08:48 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

So I can avoid the door zone completely and place myself in the lane of traffic where motorist don't observe the 3 ft rule. I effectively trade one potential moment of danger for another. If I see someone exiting their car do I move over out of the door zone and into the lane of an oncoming motorist?
That's the crux of it right there. Sometimes we have to choose between the lesser of evils. I can't tell you that the strategy you choose is right or wrong. I can tell you that riding in the door zone is a choice. It's a choice I avoid at almost all costs.
Old 01-09-19, 09:53 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I can tell you that opening a door without looking is a choice.

-mr. bill
Old 01-09-19, 10:03 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Your logic fails. Please try again later.
Slowing down in the door zone does three things: 1. Gives me more time to peer through back glass or side mirrors for occupants, 2. Gives me more time to react to a door starting to crack open, and 3. Minimizes the damage to me if everything goes wrong.

Of course "slow down". A bike on the road should go slower? Thing is, does the rest of the world slow down to match you? Motorist would love bikes on the road to go slower.
The relative speed between passing motorists and cyclists is great. Slowing down a few miles an hour on a bike is irrelevant to the speed differential. To motorists, we are "non-moving" objects like mail boxes and fire hydrants. Which is why we get right-hooked. Because motorists see us as standing still anyway. The rest of the world does not need to slow down because I slow down. In fact, they can go faster because I have more time to react.

Now if you are keeping up with traffic doing 20+mph as I do much of the time, why would you be in the freaking door zone anyways?

Who's the Logic now???
Old 01-09-19, 12:37 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
I can tell you that opening a door without looking is a choice.

-mr. bill
Of course it's a choice. What's your point? I refuse to rely on motorists to make the right choice, therefore I do not ride in the door zone.
Old 01-09-19, 02:57 PM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
When my buddy got doored in VA in 2014 IIRC, VA did not have a law on the books that burdened motorists with making sure it was safe to open their door. Cycling advocacy groups had been pushing for it for a few years, but the legislature had repeatedly rejected it. A few years later VA finally passed the law.

https://www.waba.org/blog/2016/04/do...w-in-virginia/
your buddy got doored because he was riding in the door zone. it's on him, and the law would not have done him any good. he'd still be flopping on the street like a fish on the beach.
don't ride in the door zone and you won't get clocked. simple.
Old 01-09-19, 03:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
Even more simple, never ride in a traffic lane and never get hit in a traffic lane; never ride in traffic and never get in a traffic accident. Very "simple" indeed.
Old 01-09-19, 04:33 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

your buddy got doored because he was riding in the door zone. it's on him, and the law would not have done him any good. he'd still be flopping on the street like a fish on the beach.
I am of the same school of thought you are about avoiding the door zone. From a legal standpoint he had no recourse. His bicep suffered a near full thickness cut, and were it not for a miraculous recovery, he would have lost his career. As it was the idiot who flung the door open in front of him suffered no legal or financial penalty. Under the new law, they would.
Old 01-13-19, 10:54 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Another option is to replace all parallel parking with angled parking. The only dooring would be if one parked car dinged another parked car. Motorists are always forced to look backwards when leaving the parking space and therefore will lookout for pedestrians, cyclists and other cars.
It doesn't really work when your town was laid out between 1880 and 1940something.
Old 01-14-19, 07:22 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
It's hard to see much of anything backing out of an angled spot. We have a newly rebuilt street where they added angled parking, but to improve visibility you're supposed to back into the angled space. It does make if safer when exiting the space, but cars behind you often don't stop far enough back to all you to back into the spot.
Old 01-14-19, 08:45 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by jon c.
It's hard to see much of anything backing out of an angled spot. We have a newly rebuilt street where they added angled parking, but to improve visibility you're supposed to back into the angled space. It does make if safer when exiting the space, but cars behind you often don't stop far enough back to all you to back into the spot.
You make a very good point. When you park a little Mazda CX3 next to a Suburban, you have to commit a good bit of your car to the lane before you can see around it. Even if you did the gymnastics to back in, you still have to nose out before you can see around it.
Old 01-14-19, 09:52 AM
KraneXL

Backing in might seem like it makes perfect sense at first glance however, it ends up being more dangerous. Unfortunately backing into angled parking is prohibited in most locations.
Old 01-14-19, 10:17 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
My town has a few downtown streets where back-in angled parking is mandatory. I never thought about whether it's safer for cyclists or not but I bet a car driver can still leave one without looking.

Old 01-14-19, 10:29 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Back in angle parking

BTW, in Boston there are many door zone traffic lanes.
Not unusual for such a road to have parallel parking at both curbs and a single narrow traffic lane in the middle.

People driving Smart Cars, people riding motorcycles, and people riding bicycles can avoid the door zone on such streets.
Otherwise....

But of course if you don't drive on these streets and you won't get clocked. Simple.

-mr. bill
Old 01-14-19, 10:53 AM
adablduya

Is it really a cut and dried slam-dunk, like rear-ending someone? My guess is that it varies from state to state.

It matters a lot, both in making the cyclist/victim's post-accident life easier and as a deterrent to careless door operation.
all that matters in that context is who pays for the medical bills. sure, the driver MIGHT take it as a lesson learned to be more aware, and for the cyclist to not ride in the door zone, which is/was always under his control. BUT, do you really think that matters at the time to the cyclist who is laying on the ground after crashing into a door (in the zone) ?
Old 01-14-19, 10:56 AM
KraneXL

It not always an easy call:

Why reverse parking is illegal for some stalls, but encouraged in others

Old 01-14-19, 11:16 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
all that matters in that context is who pays for the medical bills. sure, the driver MIGHT take it as a lesson learned to be more aware, and for the cyclist to not ride in the door zone, which is/was always under his control. BUT, do you really think that matters at the time to the cyclist who is laying on the ground after crashing into a door (in the zone) ?
Yes.
Old 01-14-19, 12:16 PM
adablduya

Yes.
with all due respect to your opinion, i call BS on that one. there's a guy laying on the ground, (presumably) quite injured after a crash at speed into an unexpected opening car door, (presumably) in great pain. honestly, you think his predominant thoughts at that time are "am i responsible / liable for my predicament, or is the driver who opened his door into the path i could (and should) have been avoiding ?" i doubt that laying there injured is NOT the time to be evaluating who was at fault ....
Old 01-14-19, 12:19 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
with all due respect to your opinion, i call BS on that one. there's a guy laying on the ground, (presumably) quite injured after a crash at speed into an unexpected opening car door, (presumably) in great pain. honestly, you think his predominant thoughts at that time are "am i responsible / liable for my predicament, or is the driver who opened his door into the path i could (and should) have been avoiding ?"
No. Why do you ask?
Old 01-14-19, 12:29 PM
KraneXL

Being in the door zone does not relive you of responsibility or liability. Especially when there is no legally defined "door zone" space. Even if there is a "lined" defined space you still need to look before flinging your door open, since you can be outside the line but still within the departure space. Just like your butt crosses the line whey you step out of your car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.