Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How often do you ride your bike trainer?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 09:50 AM
on2wheelsks

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was curious to know how often others are riding their bike trainer when the weather, (snow and or ice) is bad. I have a New Years resolution to ride at least 10 miles a day. Guy at local bike shop says I shouldn't ride daily, I should have a recovery day in there. I am trying to ride as much as possible till I can get back outside. I had shoulder sugery in 2017, and could not get motivated till now. I am just starting to get my legs back and feel guilty if I miss a day. What would you do? I want to be back in shape to ride 40-50 mile rides like I used to be. Thoughts?
TIA
Pat
Old 01-17-19, 10:04 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by on2wheelsks
I was curious to know how often others are riding their bike trainer when the weather, (snow and or ice) is bad. I have a New Years resolution to ride at least 10 miles a day. Guy at local bike shop says I shouldn't ride daily, I should have a recovery day in there. I am trying to ride as much as possible till I can get back outside. I had shoulder sugery in 2017, and could not get motivated till now. I am just starting to get my legs back and feel guilty if I miss a day. What would you do? I want to be back in shape to ride 40-50 mile rides like I used to be. Thoughts?
TIA
Pat
I have a couple different trainers. One is a roller trainer, the other is a Cycleops wind resistance trainer (rear wheel stand). It's used more as a parking stand for one of my bikes than it is used for indoor/stationary riding. In other words...even down into single-digit temps F...if there isn't ice or snow on the roads...I'd much rather go out for a ride than ride stationary.

Dan
Old 01-17-19, 10:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I don't think there's a problem with riding every day, as long as you (a) don't push it too far and (b) make sure you recover enough. Bicycle commuters routinely ride 5 straight days through the work week, and some of us then go out for fun rides on the weekends

If you're feeling tired, stiff, and sore, that might be time to take a day off.
Old 01-17-19, 10:31 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I try to get a good workout every other day. In winter, if I don't walk or ski, then I ride the trainer, usually, every other day unless there is enough snow to ski around the golf course near my house or unless I drive an hour for some downhill skiing. Every day doesn't appeal to me. I like a day of rest between days of strenuous physical activity. I don't "train" at all. I just need to expend physical energy and maintain some degree of fitness. I'm 71 and am still pretty fit.
Old 01-17-19, 11:41 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Better I think to ride longer and harder less frequently to allow for recovery. If you don't need recovery, you didn't do anything like enough on it. Nothing much happens in the way of fitness improvement until after 45 minutes. 1 to 1.5 hours is best. If all you're doing for aerobic exercise is trainer rides, you need 2 days of intervals of some sort. Another couple days of steady state zone 2 and you have a good schedule. This is the first week this winter that we probably won't ride outside. I'm doing 5 days on my resistance rollers and a 3 mile run on one day. One of the roller rides will be 30' of recovery after an interval day, the day off also after an interval day. Plus after 2 of those roller days, I go to the gym for strength training. That schedule just holds me even, no aerobic progress, though I will continue to see some strength progress. I started my winter training October 1 so I've been at it a while and have some fitness to protect.

Don't jump right in at that level, but work up to it over a period of months. Or if you're already fit, do jump in!
Old 01-17-19, 03:08 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think that it's easier to ride every day than it is to ride 3 or 4 times per week.

If you ride every day you don't have to think about it, you just do it. If your plan is to ride 3 times per week, every day you have to decide whether or not to ride.
Old 01-17-19, 03:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Two-4 times a week. Sometimes more often if I use the trainer for 15 minutes to warm up before an outdoor ride in winter. And we've had almost three consecutive weeks of allergy alert days. Every time I ride outdoors I need to prepare with Flonase nasal spray, oral antihistamines and carry my asthma inhaler. Had to use my rescue inhaler about six times during a 44 mile ride Wednesday. Another reason most of my recent exercise has been on the indoor trainer.

My shoulder was broken and dislocated when I was hit by a car in early May last year. I had just peaked in conditioning after three years of getting back into shape so I didn't want to lose it. A friend gave me his old Cycleops and I was on it within 6 weeks. Helped maintain my conditioning so it wouldn't be too hard getting back to peak conditioning (actually it turned out to be more challenging than I'd expected due to other health issues discovered later -- I had surgery for thyroid cancer in November, still not quite recovered).

I had to make some adjustments -- shorter stem, raised the handlebar, etc. -- for the road bike on the trainer. And switched the hybrid from riser to swept back albatross handlebar for outdoor rides. Did that for several months before I could handle the road bike outdoors again.

Even after a long moderate ride or short hard workout ride, I'll often get on the indoor trainer the next day just to move my legs for 15-30 minutes at a very easy effort. Seems to reduce soreness and stiffness.

Even a short, easy session helps get the blood flowing, loosens up the body, relaxes and focuses my mind, and does some good. It doesn't need to be a formal workout session.
Old 01-17-19, 03:49 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I've got a trainer but personally find it too boring to ride. I'll go out through the winter, although for shorter rides than spring through fall. I'll go out when the temperature is in the 20s and even into the teens. I used the trainer 4 times last winter as we had a really bad stretch of snow and cold (single digits), otherwise, I try to find a way to go outside to ride, even if it's just 10 -15 miles. Before last year, it had been several years since I used the trainer.
Old 01-17-19, 04:30 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Six days per week and I alternate hard interval effort days with easy recovery/endurance effort days during my base period. I watch structured video workouts for the hard days and just watch TV on the easy days.
Old 01-17-19, 07:38 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Twice in my life. (Spoiled Coastal Californian)
Brent
Old 01-17-19, 08:12 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
never. I bought one but now just use it to hold the bike while I lube the chain. Used it maybe 20 times, just did not like it. outside or don't go here
Old 01-17-19, 08:22 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I ride the rollers with resistance 3-4 times per week, usually 1.5 hours per session. This includes warm up, whatever my program is for that day and a cool down. On the odd days I do strength training.
Old 01-17-19, 10:23 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I haven't touched the wretched thing since they took the cast off of my hand. But when I was unable to bear weight with my right hand, I put on 500 Zwift miles in just over 3 weeks.

IMO, it would be really difficult to overdo it on a trainer, because it's so damn boring. Even with the video-game Zwift aspect, I only did a session longer than 90 minutes once.

"Ten trainer miles" is about 30 minutes. You could easily do 30 minutes every day. You just won't want to.
Old 01-17-19, 11:04 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Six days per week and I alternate hard interval effort days with easy recovery/endurance effort days during my base period. I watch structured video workouts for the hard days and just watch TV on the easy days.
^^^^ This

Same as I do. On days I’m not outside I’m on my smart rollers. 6 days a week.
Old 01-18-19, 04:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I do a variety of different things.

So, in the winter, I might walk one day, ride my trainer the next day, run the next day, walk the next day, ride the trainer the next day, and ride outside the two days on the weekend.

Or something like that.

I might throw a spin class in there, or some time on the treadmill or rowing machine.

So I will exercise 7 days a week, but what I do varies.

For me, making a New Years resolution to ride at least 10 miles a day is the equivalent of saying ... "I want to fail completely at a New Years resolution because I know there's no chance I'll keep that up."

If I were to make a cycling-related NY resolution, a much more successful decision would be to ride 300 mile/month. Yes, that might seem very much like 10 miles a day, but it allows for freedom to be able to ride 30 miles one day ... and then take a couple days off. Or some other variation.

Even better, I might make a NY goal of 3650 miles for the year. Again, seems much like 10 miles a day, but there's freedom and flexibility. If you get a bunch of riding in one week, and then life steps in and you can't ride much for another week, that's OK. You can gradually build up to ride the local annual century, then if you go on holiday with family for a week without your bicycle, that's OK.
Old 01-18-19, 11:07 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I do a variety of different things.

So, in the winter, I might walk one day, ride my trainer the next day, run the next day, walk the next day, ride the trainer the next day, and ride outside the two days on the weekend.

Or something like that.

I might throw a spin class in there, or some time on the treadmill or rowing machine.

So I will exercise 7 days a week, but what I do varies.

For me, making a New Years resolution to ride at least 10 miles a day is the equivalent of saying ... "I want to fail completely at a New Years resolution because I know there's no chance I'll keep that up."

If I were to make a cycling-related NY resolution, a much more successful decision would be to ride 300 mile/month. Yes, that might seem very much like 10 miles a day, but it allows for freedom to be able to ride 30 miles one day ... and then take a couple days off. Or some other variation.

Even better, I might make a NY goal of 3650 miles for the year. Again, seems much like 10 miles a day, but there's freedom and flexibility. If you get a bunch of riding in one week, and then life steps in and you can't ride much for another week, that's OK. You can gradually build up to ride the local annual century, then if you go on holiday with family for a week without your bicycle, that's OK.
smart
Old 01-18-19, 11:13 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I generally haven't been a fan of the trainer, but 2 things have made it more bearable: a new smart trainer and Zwift.
Old 01-18-19, 11:30 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Twice in my life. (Spoiled Coastal Californian)
Brent
I am a bit envious as I am watching the snow fall.
Old 01-18-19, 12:56 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
You should rest if you need to rest and it is simple listen to the body. Many train everyday with little or no rest and that is fine but just need to monitor the situation. I am a runner so in winter I hit the treadmill but if injured I have road on the trainer daily in the past for weeks to keep up fitness. I actually think the trainer can be more efficient in getting a workout and keeping up your fitness that trying go out and always beat the weather. My caution is I hit black ice 3 years ago on my road bike and it cost me a broken hip. I was lucky and was not displaced went back to running within 14 weeks. I had 3 screws put in and it worked with no complications but I am scared to death of ice and snow these days. I manage not to be going fast even just bike slid out in front of me and I landed directly on the right hip. Did not even hit my head on the pavement. So me...……………...the road must me dry and no chance of ice

Riding on trainer really is all about heart rate if you do not have a power meter. Unlike outside there is no costing and I say ride the trainer it is boring but hey beer after can easy the memory.
Old 01-18-19, 01:09 PM
rayman54

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S3 Ultegra 2012 TREK Superfly 29'r FS 2012 Cervelo S5 Rival w/FLO 60's - 07 TREK Pilot 2.1 triple

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 10 Posts
I have smart trainer (Wahoo Kickr2), 64 years old. I'm currently riding indoors daily unless my legs tell me otherwise. I do Sufferfest and Trainerroad and I'm going to do the Tour of Sufferlandria starting in February. I average between 1 - 2 hours per session. When doing focused training boredom is a non issue for me. I'm also a runner and I mix in days where I double up with a bike/run...

I have a 9 day trainer streak going now.
Old 01-18-19, 08:39 PM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
If you're doing light-moderate training, I don't think it hurts to go every day. But if you're pushing it, then it's probably best to have some off days too. Muscles are broken down (at a microscopic level) during hard training and can rebuild stronger during rest.
Old 01-18-19, 11:10 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I ride to the gym 5 days a week, unless there is ice on the roads. After I finish my weight work, and return home, I ride the trainer while listening to an audio book. One CD is usually about 1 1/4 hours. If the book is really good and have time, I might go a little longer. I'm pretty regular unless I'm skiing or have a commitment. The trainer routines vary with the intensity of my weight workouts-- hard weight workout, easier effort on the bike, and vice -versa.

I did dump my bike last week on the ice riding to the gym, resulting in some road rash and bruising on hip forearm, and knee. That would have been a good day to drive, but a guy has to maintain his reputation Adding insult to injury, I crashed on some hard snow while skiing a couple of days later and enlarged all the bruises in the same spots.
Old 01-19-19, 11:10 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by rayman54
I have smart trainer (Wahoo Kickr2), 64 years old. I'm currently riding indoors daily unless my legs tell me otherwise. I do Sufferfest and Trainerroad and I'm going to do the Tour of Sufferlandria starting in February. I average between 1 - 2 hours per session. When doing focused training boredom is a non issue for me. I'm also a runner and I mix in days where I double up with a bike/run...

I have a 9 day trainer streak going now.
I’m right with you. I’m soon t be 64 and doing the ToS in a few weeks. I’ve gone 13 straight days on the trainer but haven’t been able to get quite as much in this year, maybe 4 or 5 days a week now as opposed to only an occasional day off last year. I use Zwift to fill in when I don’t want to do a Sufferfest video. There’s a new tracking page in the new Sufferfest app that shows the counts of all the videos you’ve done and I’ve done almost all of them and honestly I need something new.
Old 01-19-19, 02:54 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Old 01-19-19, 06:01 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I'll be 76 this year. I try to ride at least 5 times per week. If it's at least 25F, dry and minimal wind, I try to ride outside. Otherwise, trainer it is and fighting boredom. Just about at the end of my free period on Zwift and I may pay for a month or two. I have to say, I don't find the interface particularly intuitive. A bit like Facebook, great idea, but the execution somewhat lacking in my book. But then these founders are multi-millionaires.. who am I to criticize.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.