Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

I need a fitting rear luggage solution to my Discovery BSO

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

I need a fitting rear luggage solution to my Discovery BSO

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 06:33 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lightbulb I need a fitting rear luggage solution for my Discover BSO

made by Pacific Cycle. The rear factory rack is purely an ornament and useless.

I want aftermarket rear rack and pannier system that will extend back far enough to clear my big feet on the pedals so I am not hitting the bags with my heels while pedaling.

The stock rack doesn't cut it for bags. I ordered a top bag from amazon.com when the bike was new and the bag sat close to my butt and it was uncomfortable.

I tried some cheap pannier bags from Walmart and my heels hit the damn things. The stock rack is not set back far enough on the frame so that any attached bags are clear of all parts of the riders' body and shoes.

The stock rack also does not have wheel spoke guards on the sides.

Here is my BSO with stock rack. The rack works fine for my shaving bag with tools in it and my air pump, but I dress in layers when I ride and weather can turn here in Boise, ID on a dime. I need to convenient stow my hat, coat and gloves when it gets too warm. Motorcycle riders stow their gear in saddle bags or cargo-net stuff to the rear pillion, but their feet don't hit the side bags as they have no pedals to crank.

Having to take my jacket off and roll everything up inside is a pain with the bungee cords.

Last edited by JonBailey; 01-19-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-19-19, 07:44 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
You might try a bag with fold-out panniers. There is a variety of choice on the market, but I rather like Topeak's system. The racks are quality racks and the bags slide into a track on the rack, which allows you to easily to remove it from the bike and carry it with you. They have expanding pannier sides so you can carry a lot or a little, depending on your load that day.
Old 01-20-19, 07:40 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’m not entirely clear on whst you mean by ”wheel spoke guards”.
But as far as heel clearance goes, a fairly common fix is to take a length of threaded rod, rebar or similar piece of steel, bend it into a U the width of the rack and then secure it to the rack using hose clamps, zip ties etc. at the desired rearwards extension. Closed end aft
Old 01-20-19, 09:50 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I’m not entirely clear on whst you mean by ”wheel spoke guards”.
But as far as heel clearance goes, a fairly common fix is to take a length of threaded rod, rebar or similar piece of steel, bend it into a U the width of the rack and then secure it to the rack using hose clamps, zip ties etc. at the desired rearwards extension. Closed end aft

Thinking the OP means the side guards for the panniers to not hit the wheel. His rack doesn't appear to offer much protection.

But never mind, you just gave advice on how to add the protection........coffee hasn't kicked in yet.....
Old 01-20-19, 10:55 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
For a BF poster who has taken such exaggerated and prolonged delight in describing their bicycle as "pure crap" W-mart has an appropriate selection for your machine in stock and ready for the action of being excoriated as merde as well. Look for the "Schwinn" logo to assure faux-brand compatibility and enjoy belly aching about all of the real and imagined faults and shortcomings of ownership, if not actual use.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 01-20-19 at 12:13 PM.