Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Build a Brompton from parts

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 01-19-19, 05:26 PM
absint0o

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,
I love the Brompton bike, it's an Amazing and well constructed bike but i don't have the money for buy one.
So, I thought i could buy the parts separately from ebay (or any other online store ) and build it myself. Is there any place where I can find a tutorial for what parts do I need and how to build a Brompton from zero? I don't need to use the best parts like using titanium, for now I don't care that much with the weight, I just want to have a Brompton.

Thank you all
Cheers!
​​
​​​​
Old 01-19-19, 06:32 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
To build a bike from parts it will cost you many times the price of just buying one. The number I have always heard was up to 10 times as much. Roger

Last edited by rhenning; 01-20-19 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 05:00 AM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
You can build one from parts, but that hardly save any money at all. You'd better get Brompton clones instead.
Old 01-20-19, 12:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
The company has PDF of exploded parts number indicating diagrams ...

as above buy a whole bike and changing some parts, to suit your preferences , will be cheaper...
Old 01-20-19, 07:32 PM
absint0o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raxel
You can build one from parts, but that hardly save any money at all. You'd better get Brompton clones instead.
What are the best brompton clones? I saw some mentions to them in this forum but I don't know where to buy them.
Thank you all for your help.
Old 01-20-19, 07:53 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
I looked into it briefly.

It's way cheaper to just buy a used Brompton.
With Brexit uncertainty, you can find some good deals on eBay
Old 01-28-19, 12:48 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
I looked into it briefly.

It's way cheaper to just buy a used Brompton.
With Brexit uncertainty, you can find some good deals on eBay
Totally agree. Buy a used one for a LOT less than getting a new one. I have done that 3 times.

OTOH, when buying used, be prepared to purchase some new parts - for example I replaced a chain (with a non-Brompton one), new BB cartridge (also non-Brompton) etc. My last project of hand-crafting the square "washers" to attach the black "folding hook" to the front fender wire stay. Brompton will not sell the washers individually, they are not available in a hardware shop, and I don't want to spend for a complete kit and then pay for shipping to me in Qatar.

YMMV
Old 01-28-19, 01:39 AM
mlau

I got lucky.

Mine works great. The decal is scuffed, and seat is for a lady.
But I like the bike

You may also try a Brompton copy recommended by Raxel.
Old 02-03-19, 06:36 PM
absint0o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all of you guys for your help I'm trying to buy a used brompton but my budget is low (460€ max) for an M3L. I have someone to buy me the bike in London and send it to my country (Portugal). But until now I didn't find any bike for that price and I don't know what I have to ask to the owner to guarantee at least minimum chances of a old bike with alot of money to invest in repairs...
Old 02-04-19, 04:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Best clones?

Originally Posted by absint0o
What are the best brompton clones? I saw some mentions to them in this forum but I don't know where to buy them.
Thank you all for your help.
Probably the all Titanium ones... posted here .. high end China and RU Ti.. [ if you have to ask "how much", you wont like the answer .. ]

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-04-19 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 05:41 PM
absint0o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've saw the Raxel post, his brompton is amazing! But is absurdly expensive to my pocket! His bike weights a little more than 5 kg!!! Impressive stuff, but I just need a clone with the same folding mechanism as the Brompton so I can store it in my chevy spark absurdly small trunk ...I don't care that much (for now) about the weight. Is there any clone compatible with brompton parts? That would be very cool because in the future I could buy brompton parts (titanium and carbon)
Thank you!
Regards
Old 02-04-19, 05:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Why focus on the clones,( they're in Asia).. You know there & elsewhere there are used Bromptons to buy , and all parts are backwards compatible..
Old 02-04-19, 05:58 PM
rhenning

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You are facing the same as most of us in that you want a high end bicycle and can only afford a entry level bicycle. At 70 years of age I have done this with many things I own. Patience you will eventually get the bike you want. Roger
Old 02-04-19, 06:13 PM
berlinonaut

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by absint0o
Thank you all of you guys for your help I'm trying to buy a used brompton but my budget is low (460€ max) for an M3L. I have someone to buy me the bike in London and send it to my country (Portugal). But until now I didn't find any bike for that price and I don't know what I have to ask to the owner to guarantee at least minimum chances of a old bike with alot of money to invest in repairs...
To get a Brompton for less than 460€ is close to impossible, at least if you prefer to buy a bike that is a) not stolen b) in working condition w/o major defects and c) not antique (with consequences for the quality of the components). This counts for the uk as well as for other countries. And for obvious reasons I'd assume it is even harder if you want to buy the bike remotely.

Here in Germany you can get a very old model (20+ years) in good shape for 500€ish, but only rarely. Also very rarely you can get a relatively new model (~2010) for around 500€ but these are pretty beaten up and in need for instant serious and expensive repairs and maintenance (which realistically add to the price). Both not the best buy if you ask me because if you take the cost of repairs into account and/or the retrofit of some newer parts you can get a newer/better bike in decent condition w/o paying more and save the stress. So this is the better deal most of the time. The problem with cheap(er) bikes from the uk is they have often been used heavily and maintained poorly and to judge on the condition from pictures is not easy. I'd recommend to save a little more - for about 600-800€ you should w/o problems be able to get a proper used bike in acceptable condition in the uk. Which typically is cheaper in the end than an initially cheaper bike.
Old 02-05-19, 06:49 PM
absint0o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the advice,
I'm searching like every day many times a day for a good deal on ebay UK.
I've concluded what you've said: I have to save a few bucks and spend 600€ + shipping if I what something worthy. I'm little afraid because the brexit will be in the end of march and then the borders will close and probably if I want to buy something from UK I will pay taxes and I don't want that!
I'm trying to understand this Brompton world, what is the difference between the new and the older models? If you had to buy one, from what year would be?
Once again, thank you all for your help!
Old 02-05-19, 08:41 PM
mlau

Try this one: https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/1163449-brompton-what-changes-over-years-innovations.html

I was in your shoes a few months ago:

Basically: 2007 or newer
Pretty much all models are upgradable.

Personally, I saw it's about $1000 USD shipped to US for my cutoff.

If you have friends in England it's cheaper potentially.

If you have friends in Asia (Japan, Singapore, etc), you should look into a Tyrell Ive. It's imho a superior bike to the Brompton... better construction, better geometry, stock parts, better ride, slightly bigger.

That being said, I love my Brompton.
Old 02-05-19, 09:00 PM
mlau

Btw, I'm rereading this thread.

A few questions:
1. Why do you need a Brompton?
Can you get a cheaper folder?
If it's a "want", you can save more for one.

2. What folders are locally available in Portugal?
Can you get one used in the meantime?

3. Do you have friends in other countries that can help?
In Taiwan, they have clones that I can only imagine. I think Raxel bought a decent Brompton clone. Look at his threads.
In England, they have used Bromptons.
Singapore has a great mix of folders... Brompton, Birdy, Tyrell, etc.
USA, it's bike Friday, dahon, tern, xootr,

4. What are your specific needs? Commute distance? Size? Baggage?

I might recommend just getting a cheaper folder for now.
Old 02-05-19, 09:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Another educational read is https://www.amazon.com/Brompton-Bicy.../dp/1901464253

Old 02-05-19, 09:14 PM
mlau

Here's raxel's clone thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/1163297-building-two-brompton-clones.html
Old 02-06-19, 08:56 AM
absint0o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mlau,
thank you for your help, anwsering to your questions:
1. I have to use the car every day. Before work i have to leave my baby girl in nursery, then my objective is to leave the car near the nursery, unfold a bike that was stored in the trunk the car and avoid the caotic traffic by going to work on bike. My trunk is very small, i have a chevrolet spark and not every bike can fit there. also, in my work i have to go to some companies that are located in social buildings, and i can't just leave the bike outsite with a lock, someone with stole it, that is for sure. For that reason i need to bring the bike along with me to my classroom (i'm a business trainer). The Brompton seams to fit in every circumstances of my everyday routine.

2. In Portugal, the folding bikes aren't really a thing, there are some bromptons (absurdly expensive as new) and there are the dechatlon's foldable bikes B'TWIN (w w w.decathlon.p t/C-1361119-bicicletas-de-cidade/N-733529-qual-e-a-sua-pratica~bicicletas-dobraveis). i Think they fold like a dahon, in half. They weigh 13 kg but the folding mechanism isn't very practical.

3. I don't have anyone in taiwan, USA or singapore. I know a guy in UK (most of my friends in UK are returning for Portugal because of the Brexit), that probably could help me if i'll ask.

4. my needs are:
- Compact and lightweight.
- When folded i can bring it with me to my work and compact to store it in my car trunk
- 3 speeds is enough
- capacity to use a front bag to carry my heavy laptop and other stuff
- doesn't need to be the most recent and stylish bike in town but i would prefere something with some aesthetics...

Also, i really think the Brompton is a very good and practical bike, i don't know that much about bikes but i think a Brompton if well treated, can last a long time.