Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Orbea MX?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Opinions on Orbea MX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 08:52 AM
akadoublej

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinions on Orbea MX?

I am looking for what I call a go anywhere bike. Some of the characteristics I think I want are:

Front suspension, decent air fork with remote lockout
27.5" wheels
2.2"-2.4" tires
Tubeless ready rims (ideally)
Rack mount on frame (critical requirement)
Not super slack geometry
Up to $1000ish USD

Most of my riding is on the street with plenty of potholes and broken asphalt and gravel paths but occasionally I will go onto local trails in the area. I don't care much about weight. Going fast is towards the bottom of my list. I stumbled on the Orbea by clicking on an ad from Jenson USA. The 2018 Orbea MX-27-10 and 2018 Orbea-27-Max-18 check the boxes.

However, I have never heard of Orbea and have no idea if they are considered quality bikes. In particular I am not sure what to make of the OEM rims. I can't seem to find much about Orbea on the web. Thoughts, opinions, alternatives to them? The nearest Jenson shop is on the other side of the country so it's not practical for me to make a visit to check them out firsthand.
Old 01-23-19, 07:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
They are a reputable Spanish bicycle manufacturer, been around 20+ years or so in the US market. I've known folks who owned their carbon road bikes, no issues and nice bikes generally. I would consider Orbea with any other brand. I believe they are one of the few manufacturers that actually make their own carbon frames, as opposed to Chinese.

Also look at Santa Cruz. They are in local shops as well as on-line, also a good reputation and I believe they are running some sales currently.

I would have no qualms about buying from Jenson, also a reputable mail-order dealer, as long as you know what you need, size wise.
Old 01-24-19, 01:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Most notable is its a Mondragon CoOp. Corp, at home, But to be competitive, price wise They use ROC.. OEM manufacturing as well ... as do most brands ...

Old 02-05-19, 10:27 AM
GeorgeAz

Bikes: Orbea Alma 2018, Specialized Allez comp triple 2007, 1977 Raleigh 3sp, 1984 Raleigh 531 Campy road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got an Orbea Alma last year on closeout from Jensen. I am super happy with it. I know it is a 29er and you want a 27, but I am really happy. My riding is done on rough pavement, logging/cattle two track and some single track and it just motos over everything. I am really happy with the quality of the components. I went tubeless and changed the grips, that is about it.