Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

HJ Universal Jig Mod

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

HJ Universal Jig Mod

Old 01-25-19, 08:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
HJ Universal Jig Mod

All but a final skimming of 0.020" off the cone backing plate's base (and shimming to height) and replacing the temporary black oxide bolts is done on my seat tube holding beam. I got tired of the mid seat tube clamp location and have wanted to use a top of tube cone. So I made a beam that floats on the BB shaft and has an adjustable cone. Alex Meade made the cone (a great guy and good machinist) for me and I had a local shop create the BB shaft hole in the beam's foot (I don't have the right sized reamer or boring ability, yet...). I've posted about the frame shown in this thread. https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...tep-frame.html I'll likely do a follow up on this thread after using this modification and deciding whether it's a keeper. Andy

Old 01-26-19, 08:53 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Looking good!
Old 01-26-19, 11:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Looks good. That's how my fixture works. I built it and right away tried to build a really big frame and realized my seat post top cone wouldn't go up that far. Oops.

I want to add something to keep the tubes in place in the middle of the tubes so things aren't quite so floppy in the absence of lugs.