Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Long Cold Winter

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Long Cold Winter

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 05:22 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Long Cold Winter

It seems as though January was really long and cold. I've been able to ride outside only three weekends this year and nothing during the week. Thankfully, I've taken full advantage of my smart trainer and Zwift.

Because, I've been able to ride indoors, on the three weekends I did ride outside, I was able to get 100 miles in each weekend. With the 300 outdoor miles and 700 miles on Zwift,this is the fastest I've ever gotten to 1,000 miles to start off a year. I'm hopeful all this preseason work will pay big dividends when the true outdoor season begins.
Old 02-03-19, 07:57 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been looking at some smart trainers and Zwift. Which model of smart trainer do you have, and would you recommend it? It looks like we're in a deep freeze for a while yet before the temps warm up. I wouldn't mind trying Zwift to make the indoor training a bit more palatable.
Old 02-04-19, 09:37 AM
Planemaker

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Alfster
I've been looking at some smart trainers and Zwift. Which model of smart trainer do you have, and would you recommend it? It looks like we're in a deep freeze for a while yet before the temps warm up. I wouldn't mind trying Zwift to make the indoor training a bit more palatable.
i have the Cycleops Hammer H2.

It works really well.

I do think direct drive is the way to go. I did have reservations about putting my expensive carbon bike on it. I ended up putting my aluminum Trek FX and I'm very happy.
Old 02-04-19, 10:00 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I've got a Kickr Snap, which seems to work pretty well. I agree that a direct drive unit would be preferable to wearing out a tire on the trainer; but I won't wear out enough tires to justify the extra expense.