Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

All technical differences between bicycles (including E-bikes)and Motorized Cycles

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

All technical differences between bicycles (including E-bikes)and Motorized Cycles

Old 02-04-19, 06:51 AM
Aznman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I asked on this general sub-forum because the topic deals with bicycles in general, not just e-bikes. Boundaries are often blurry at times, especially in a time period where people have more time and resources to kickstart new (or 'new') inventions. Being human powered vs engine powered can be argued to not be so fundamental since swapping can be done with ease. What would happen when motorcycles are produced with cycling pedals in massive quantities (for whatever silly reasons)? What are the major/fundamental differences between an e-bike and a moped?

I hope you guys can find this thread to be enjoyable and informative should you choose to contribute.
Here are two of my main thoughts on this topic.

1. Bicycles, with the usual frames and parts used by the main consumers, will always be lighter and more portable in the foreseeable future than any vehicle that uses non-biological engines as the primary method of power. Say that you are biking on a trail and came to a path that you would prefer to walk on rather than ride over on a vehicle. You can more quickly carry the frame on your shoulders (even with an e-bike) than you would with even a moped (220 to 500 lbs !). Also, given the sheer weight differences, bicycles will also remain more friendly to the integrity of trails than heavier vehicles when used.

2. Given the fundamental design of the frames, bicycles will likely remain more foldable and adaptively compact in storage than any motored vehicles in terms of usage by the average consumers. Even when you don't have folding frames, base-bicycle wheels are easier to remove, carry, and store than moped wheels.

Are there any other (truly) fundamental differences that you would like to add?

Last edited by Aznman; 02-04-19 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 07:35 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No idea what you want from this thread.
Old 02-04-19, 08:01 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Hmm. I see a RadCity Step-Thru e-bike technology moped weights 65lbs, and a traditional petroleum fueled Velosolex weighs 61lbs.

And I believe you expressed interest in a folding motorbike? There's not a lot of call for these, but DiBlasi has found steady customers since 1974 with their model:

Old 02-04-19, 09:12 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Even the term e-bike references different kinds of hardware.

Pedal assist e-bikes require the operator to pedal and only assist with pedal effort.

Throttle operated e-bikes require no operator input whatsoever.

You can't compare "e-bikes" to anything else because there are different kinds of e-bikes.

-Tim-
Old 02-04-19, 09:13 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznman
What would happen when motorcycles are produced with cycling pedals in massive quantities
Once upon a time, they were. Mopeds of old were basically small motorcycles that could be pedaled as a last resort; although I wouldn't have wanted to pedal one more than a couple of blocks to a gas station. It's only due to the corrupting effects of changing laws that some current pedal-less scooters can be called "mopeds."
Old 02-04-19, 11:18 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Mopeds of old were basically small motorcycles that could be pedaled as a last resort; although I wouldn't have wanted to pedal one more than a couple of blocks to a gas station.
Peugeot, Indian, BMW, Ducati, Suzuki and Honda (among others) got into the motorcycle business by first building bicycle assist engines.

'Moped' is a portmanteau of motor+pedal.
Old 02-04-19, 11:58 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Once upon a time, they were. Mopeds of old were basically small motorcycles that could be pedaled as a last resort; although I wouldn't have wanted to pedal one more than a couple of blocks to a gas station. It's only due to the corrupting effects of changing laws that some current pedal-less scooters can be called "mopeds."
As I recall, you also used the pedals to start the motor, so there was no need for a battery or starter.
Old 02-06-19, 07:54 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
IIRC some mopeds were real motorcycles, pedals were there only for legal purposes - lower taxes.
Old 02-06-19, 08:05 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
IIRC some mopeds were real motorcycles, pedals were there only for legal purposes - lower taxes.
It's interesting that classes of small motorized vehicles have come to be defined by regulations that differ from one locale to another, making it hard to generalize about those terms. So a scooter could be defined by its tax free status, license free status, etc.

A relative of mine works at a university, and got a scooter because he can park it near his building without paying for a parking sticker. Meanwhile, the university near my house just changed their parking rules, so a scooter has to pay for a sticker and park in special scooter zones -- the number of scooters dropped drastically and the number of bicycles went up.
Old 02-06-19, 08:08 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Lower taxes, and an end-run around licensing requirements for the machine or its operator or both.
Old 02-06-19, 09:50 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Thread moved to e-bikes as most appropriate forum
Old 02-06-19, 10:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I asked on this general sub-forum because the topic deals with bicycles in general, not just e-bikes.
This kind of thread works perfectly well in this forum and is awkward in other forums. We will continue to move threads with ebike content into the ebike forum.

Then maybe this forum will not be so boring
Old 02-07-19, 01:24 AM
Aznman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
As I recall, you also used the pedals to start the motor, so there was no need for a battery or starter.
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
It's interesting that classes of small motorized vehicles have come to be defined by regulations that differ from one locale to another, making it hard to generalize about those terms. So a scooter could be defined by its tax free status, license free status, etc.

A relative of mine works at a university, and got a scooter because he can park it near his building without paying for a parking sticker. Meanwhile, the university near my house just changed their parking rules, so a scooter has to pay for a sticker and park in special scooter zones -- the number of scooters dropped drastically and the number of bicycles went up.
Those are the details that I have never even thought about! Thanks Gresp.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
This kind of thread works perfectly well in this forum and is awkward in other forums. We will continue to move threads with ebike content into the ebike forum.

Then maybe this forum will not be so boring
Yes, I guess things will have to be this way.

Last edited by Aznman; 02-07-19 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 08:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Looks to me like regulations for ebikes will be a lot better than the ones for scooters. I was around for the moped craze in the '70s in the U.S., it died pretty quickly, partially because the laws got stricter. Hopefully the people that are supercharging their ebikes and riding them at high speeds don't ruin that for the rest of us. It only takes a few.
Old 02-07-19, 11:23 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
In CA during the 70's (AIR) mopeds were selling like the proverbial hotcakes until some group put together laws that regulated them; this resulted in the same death noted above. The industry never recovered. IMO if the government sees a way to derive money from e-bikes, they will. The numbers here are too small to be of interest now. Also, it's illegal to ride e-MTB's in almost all off road areas, but only one that I know of has any enforcement.
Old 02-07-19, 12:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

safety laws get stricter because of crashes, usually. I think registration for ebikes is mostly a non-starter, although with enough fatal crashes you might see something like that, and possibly insurance requirements. Bike-pedestrian crashes can be very bad for a pedestrian, and if people are going 30 mph or faster on an ebike in a pedestrian area we will see deaths. Because pedestrians are incapable of seeing cyclists.
Old 02-07-19, 07:08 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Where I live (Illinois) both mopeds and ebikes have a legal definition, and there are plenty of restrictions on the latter..

Mopeds require a drivers licemse. If the engine size is under 49cc, an automotive license is required. For larger engines, a motorcycle license is needed. You need to register, insure, and license a moped. You need to have lights tor ride at night. They cannot be ridden on bike paths or in bike lanes..It costs $141 to register a moped here, and the plates will be $41 annually.

Meanwhile ebikes with motors under 1 HP (750watts) are allowed to be ridden like bicycles.

Old 02-07-19, 09:07 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
To me, the difference is in how the propulsion is applied. If you have to pedal to get forward motion, and the attached motor is used as part of the pedaling, it's an e-bike.

If, however, you're controlling the motor action thru a mechanical throttle (twist grip or thumb lever seem to be the most popular), and pedaling is not necessary for forward motion, then it's a moped.

I work at a Honda/Yamaha/Can-Am dealership, and we see a number of the older style mopeds come thru the shop periodically. I've always been used to pedals on a moped being used for "light pedal assist" on hills. Aka, the small gasoline engine on the moped doesn't necessarily have the power sufficient to climb hills, thus the pedals. In Virginia, a moped is legally classified as a motor vehicle of 49cc or less, with a top speed of 35mph, must be titled, licensed, and the operator must wear a DOT-legal helmet and carry some form of picture ID on them while operating the vehicle. And the police will clock your speed. A slightly modified Honda Ruckus can easily outdo the 35mph limit on the flat - one of our salesmen got a speeding ticket for his a few years ago. Motor vehicle insurance is not required.

E-bikes in Virginia currently are treated as bicycles. No legal restrictions (although the rider is expected to follow traffic laws and local speed limits), no licensing, no helmets or ID necessary.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-08-19, 01:57 AM
Aznman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
To me, the difference is in how the propulsion is applied. If you have to pedal to get forward motion, and the attached motor is used as part of the pedaling, it's an e-bike.

If, however, you're controlling the motor action thru a mechanical throttle (twist grip or thumb lever seem to be the most popular), and pedaling is not necessary for forward motion, then it's a moped.

I work at a Honda/Yamaha/Can-Am dealership, and we see a number of the older style mopeds come thru the shop periodically. I've always been used to pedals on a moped being used for "light pedal assist" on hills. Aka, the small gasoline engine on the moped doesn't necessarily have the power sufficient to climb hills, thus the pedals. In Virginia, a moped is legally classified as a motor vehicle of 49cc or less, with a top speed of 35mph, must be titled, licensed, and the operator must wear a DOT-legal helmet and carry some form of picture ID on them while operating the vehicle. And the police will clock your speed. A slightly modified Honda Ruckus can easily outdo the 35mph limit on the flat - one of our salesmen got a speeding ticket for his a few years ago. Motor vehicle insurance is not required.

E-bikes in Virginia currently are treated as bicycles. No legal restrictions (although the rider is expected to follow traffic laws and local speed limits), no licensing, no helmets or ID necessary.
Hmmm, I guess the law is the main arbiter by far then.
Old 02-08-19, 07:47 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Hmmm, I guess the law is the main arbiter by far then.
Of course. Along with a certain willingness on the part of the public to go along. Mopeds, for the most part, are almost-motorcycles; so there isn't too much objection to have to go thru the same processes of motorcycles and automobiles. A few years ago when Virginia instituted the titling restriction, there was some grumping but it died out very quickly. Bicycles, on the other hand, will never undergo such restrictions, mainly because of the American attitude that, in general, they're children's toys. No matter how expensive, fast, etc.

E-bikes are going to be an interesting shakeout, because they're a middle ground. I, personally, am still going to bet on the "children's toys" attitude is going to keep them unlicensed and unrestricted. At least as long as their performance is kept within the realm of a pure pedal-powered bicycle. Stretch the performance envelope, however, and that could change.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-08-19, 09:50 AM
2old

Originally Posted by sykerocker
Of course. Along with a certain willingness on the part of the public to go along. Mopeds, for the most part, are almost-motorcycles; so there isn't too much objection to have to go thru the same processes of motorcycles and automobiles. A few years ago when Virginia instituted the titling restriction, there was some grumping but it died out very quickly. Bicycles, on the other hand, will never undergo such restrictions, mainly because of the American attitude that, in general, they're children's toys. No matter how expensive, fast, etc.

E-bikes are going to be an interesting shakeout, because they're a middle ground. I, personally, am still going to bet on the "children's toys" attitude is going to keep them unlicensed and unrestricted. At least as long as their performance is kept within the realm of a pure pedal-powered bicycle. Stretch the performance envelope, however, and that could change.
Nice theory, but not the case where I reside in CA and local government is permitted to create their laws. As a consequence e-bikes are prohibited from all county parks, some (maybe all) state parks and even some bike paths.
Old 02-13-19, 10:43 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Red face

Here's where we are (mostly) in Cali: eBike News
Old 02-13-19, 03:04 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
This is why we should start calling them "E-Peds," like Mopeds. That's really what they are. They're not primarily bikes, at least the way I see most people ride them; many don't bother pedaling - just like a moped. Staying away from the bike moniker would make it easier to regulate them properly.
Old 02-13-19, 05:19 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Depends on how you build them... Mine has no throttle, PAS only via TQ sensor. So if you don't pedal, you don't go - at all
Old 02-13-19, 06:01 PM
2old

My e-MTB(s) don't have throttles either, and in fact all of the e-bikes produced by the major manufacturers (Specialized, Trek etc) are pedal-assist only. Some have a 3-6 mph "walk mode" which is disabled by pedaling AFAIK. The e-haters like to consider this a throttle even though it's for walking up extremely steep terrain, stairs or whatever.

Last edited by 2old; 02-13-19 at 09:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.