Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 04:03 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Future Shock recall

I got a call from my LBS today telling me not to ride my Roubaix Elite until they had the parts to replace the future shock. Apparently there is an aluminum shim inside that several have cracked causing some sort of failure in the steering. Has anyone else been contacted? Glad this happened in a cooler time of year and I have not been riding much.
Old 01-17-19, 04:41 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
It is on models with the future schock. Does not have to do with future shock per se. As I understand, its a replacement of the steerer tube collar, seems it degrades after being sweated on for a few years and could lose function. I'm saying this only because I'd hate for the future shock haters to start chiming in again, although they likely will anyway. My LBS is waiting for the parts and will schedule me in quickly. You're right that its happening at a good time of year, but still the chances of loosing steering are slim and Specialized is just covering themselves by the recall. I appreciate their efforts to make it right instead of denying any responsibility. I love my Diverge.
Old 01-17-19, 04:58 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Old news at this point. There have been several threads already, and as noted above the 'FS Haterz' have already had their fill, and will no doubt continue to do so.

Meh. It is not a recall on the FS mechanism. Has to do with the possibility of stress corrosion weakening the collar that secures the steerer tube -- based on one reported instance of corrosion that could lead to failure.

My read? Kudos to Specialized for acting on this possibility, and acting quickly. No big deal. I for one have a FS bike on order, and will not be cancelling that order. I am assuming that my bike will have had that fix installed when it arrives at my lbs.

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/safety-notices
Old 01-17-19, 07:35 PM
Baldy1953

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
That is good news. I was relaying the info for those that had not been notified of the "voluntary" recall. My guy suggested I not ride the bike until fixed, so just gives me an excuse to lie around the house for a bit. ( says the little fat man) Just what I needed.
Old 01-17-19, 08:18 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
This conspiracy was orchestrated years in advance, hence the term future shock. The shock is the recall.
Old 01-17-19, 08:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Specialized is sending out replacement collars and I know at least at my shop because I am doing the work to get people in and get us collars so our mechanics can get them replaced, we are on top of it as possible. Customers have been emailed or called and we have some in stock now and are working to get everything up to snuff.

I would recommend all those effected by the recall (which is pretty much everything with FutureShock to head down to your dealer and while you are there get an annual tune up and get the bike ready for spring or for continued winter riding if that is your thing. That way we can have some time to get the part and any thing else needed and get the bike back as close to 100% as possible which is good to do regularly. Doing it now is better than doing it when everyone else decides to do it on the first nice day of spring, so you can be riding and they can be waiting.
Old 01-17-19, 09:24 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling forum to Recalls forum.
Old 01-20-19, 10:54 PM
RoadBikeUsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Future Shock is joke

Mine has been pretty much useless since I bought it. DONT BUY A SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX. Both mine have been absurd, now I have the Elite, it’s ridiculous no suspension.
Old 01-25-19, 08:23 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadBikeUsa

Mine has been pretty much useless since I bought it. DONT BUY A SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX. Both mine have been absurd, now I have the Elite, it’s ridiculous no suspension.
Maybe you could offer some specific details. “No suspension” doesn’t give much to go on.

-Matt