Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So,,, Out For My Morning Ride And........

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So,,, Out For My Morning Ride And........

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 07:32 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Seems like a typical new tire experience to me. For that one, I'd go new tire new tube. Sucky situation but it could have been worse.
Old 02-13-19, 07:37 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Meh I like the super glue/boot/bike tire idea. I shucked a GP4ks2 after 100 miles, that was a bummer.

Buy yourself a Continental 4 Seasons to replace this one after you've saved some cash.
Old 02-13-19, 08:02 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I'd put on a new tire. It looks like you hit something and it cut into the tire rubber, maybe damaged the casing, too. Take the punctured one back to the shop you bought it at (if from a shop) and see if they'll replace it. I had a similar situation a few years ago, something sharp slit my brand-new tire only 3 miles into a pre-dawn ride, and REI exchanged it no-questions-asked.

FWIW: I've never had much luck with Continental bicycle tires, haven't used them is quite a few years. Biggest problem was the sidewalls kept rotting out and chafing the tubes when the cord started fraying after about 6 months (I keep my bicycles inside the house in a spare bedroom, so it wasn't sun exposure).
Old 02-13-19, 08:11 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
I know if I showed that to my wife, he first comment would be " you're not going to ride on that, are you? ". Translation meaning, you're not going to ride on that....period.
Old 02-13-19, 09:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
"Very fast deflation events" are a fact of life.

The tire with the hole in it is garbage.

A spare tire from my closet would have been on my bike in the time it took to write the first post in this thread.

You have answered your own question right there.

-Tim-
For you maybe. I'd use a couple of dollar bills as a boot, replace the tube and ride home. (I ride with at least 5 bills of any denomination just for this.) Brand new tire? I'd make a permanent casing patch. One approach is to use dacron sailcloth. The stuff used for the past 50 years for small racing sailboats would work just fine. Odds are your local sailmaker will give you a scrap if you ask nicely. If you cut that patch big and glue it in with good contractor's contact cement (like the stuff for countertop laminates), that repair will easily go the distance of the rest of the tire.

I've ridden over 1000 miles on an Open Pro with a 1/2" casing cut and one of those patches. Granted, that pales in Gatorskin miles, but that 1000 miles took that tread to the casing and the patch inside was still doing it's job. And that was on a tire with a thin, light casing and probably higher pressure that most Gatorskin riders use. By contrast, the thick, sturdy casing of the Gatorskin would be a piece of cake for the sailcloth.

Ben
Old 02-14-19, 07:49 AM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should-a, Would-a, Maybe, Carried A Tube

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
what did you hit?
Flip Flop,

I have no idea. I just remember a 'crunch', couple of revolutions with a kinda 'clicking', then instant pancake flat. I run the same route every day and have had such good use out of my old Gator Skins (5,528 m's) I guess I was lulled into complacency or I would carry tubes, tools, and air stuff. Anyhoo,,,, I ride to maintain my present girth so I guess the walk did me good.....

Hey,,, all of you responders I really enjoyed reading all your posts and advise.

See Ya, bye
Old 02-14-19, 08:15 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Buy a new bike?
and wash the fork! If my wife saw I used a kitchen item in the shop she would put a fork in me lol
Old 02-14-19, 08:22 AM
MugenSi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I would put a piece of gorilla tape on the inside of the tyre and fill the hole with Loctite rubber glue and stick the tyre on the rear wheel (if it isn't already on the rear)
Old 02-14-19, 09:44 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
For you maybe. I'd use a couple of dollar bills as a boot, replace the tube and ride home. (I ride with at least 5 bills of any denomination just for this.) Brand new tire? I'd make a permanent casing patch. One approach is to use dacron sailcloth. The stuff used for the past 50 years for small racing sailboats would work just fine. Odds are your local sailmaker will give you a scrap if you ask nicely. If you cut that patch big and glue it in with good contractor's contact cement (like the stuff for countertop laminates), that repair will easily go the distance of the rest of the tire.

I've ridden over 1000 miles on an Open Pro with a 1/2" casing cut and one of those patches. Granted, that pales in Gatorskin miles, but that 1000 miles took that tread to the casing and the patch inside was still doing it's job. And that was on a tire with a thin, light casing and probably higher pressure that most Gatorskin riders use. By contrast, the thick, sturdy casing of the Gatorskin would be a piece of cake for the sailcloth.

Ben
Yes, Ben, for me it is garbage. I go 40 MPH regularly and would never ride a tire with a cut casing like that.

I just received two yards of silnylyon from Ripstop by the Roll to make a tent footprint. I'm familiar with sailcloth, seam sealing, gluing, etc.

Again, at $27 for Vittoria G+ on sale, I buy they by the half dozen and have zero qualms about throwing a tire like the OP's in the trash, slapping on a new one and riding with piece of mind.

The decision of whether to buy beer or a new tire would be easy for me and a new tire would have been on the bike in the time it took the OP to take photos and open this thread.

-Tim-
Old 02-14-19, 11:18 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+ 1
Old 02-14-19, 12:19 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I put a new set of Gators on for a 50 mile charity ride, and had 4 flats that day. Sometimes it's just not your day.😥
I had less than 200 miles on a new Pasela, and was bragging about how much I like them, when "Pow" the front popped. Unfamiliar with Mafac brake adjustnents, I had a brake pad rub a hole on the sidewall. Don't do that. It took awhile to find the problem after blowing out a spare tube. I didn't bother patching it, just hung it on the wall as a reminder.

It doesn't take much to ruin your day.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 02-14-19 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 12:40 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

Why contact the seller? It is not the seller’s fault nor is it Continental’s fault. Looks like the OP hit something and suffered massive damage.

I would throw out the tire… But if you don’t have the money to replace it, you can try booting it.
Worked it out yet ? That's a genuine question, by the way. Try looking at it from Continental and the retailer's point of view.
Old 02-14-19, 12:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Worked it out yet ? That's a genuine question, by the way. Try looking at it from Continental and the retailer's point of view.
If I bought a new car and crashed it on the way home, I wouldn't expect the dealership to just give me another one.

The tire scenario is no different, other than that the tire is cheap enough that a shop might replace it just to keep a customer happy. But ethics aren't about what you can get away with - they are about what is right.

Just when do you think the purchaser becomes responsible? Is it after ten miles? A thousand miles? The only logical point at which the buyer becomes responsible (assuming the product is not defective) is when s/he walks out the door with it. Anything else is arbitrary and opportunistic.
Old 02-14-19, 01:02 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Buy a new bike?

Always good advice! N+1.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 02-14-19, 01:40 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If I bought a new car and crashed it on the way home, I wouldn't expect the dealership to just give me another one.

The tire scenario is no different, other than that the tire is cheap enough that a shop might replace it just to keep a customer happy. But ethics aren't about what you can get away with - they are about what is right.

Just when do you think the purchaser becomes responsible? Is it after ten miles? A thousand miles? The only logical point at which the buyer becomes responsible (assuming the product is not defective) is when s/he walks out the door with it. Anything else is arbitrary and opportunistic.
The art of using an example is to make it relevant. Yours isn't remotely so.

I'll try to explain, and do remember this is business, where a satisfied customer can equal satisfied customer plus 1, You let the retailer know because he sold you the tyre, in good faith, and neither he nor the rider would expect to have a tyre with such a good reputation written off so quickly. That gives the retailer a choice: he can give you a replacement tyre out of good will, leaving him with a happy customer who may mention this on forums, to friends, etc, or can take your attitude. Schwalbe are a major tyre manufacture with a good reputation, so it would be in their interests firstly to try and find whether it was a fault or a sharp stone, piece of glass or whatever, that had pierced what is meant to be a supremely tough tyre, and secondly to maintain that reputation.

My rear tyre blew out the first evening I bought the bike. I phoned the retailer, and a replacement appeared the next day, no charge. That was for me the end of the story, so you can imagine my surprise when two of the new model Schwalbe tyres turned up on my doorstep a week or two later.
Old 02-14-19, 01:53 PM
Koyote

The art of using an example is to make it relevant. Yours isn't remotely so.

I'll try to explain, and do remember this is business, where a satisfied customer can equal satisfied customer plus 1, You let the retailer know because he sold you the tyre, in good faith, and neither he nor the rider would expect to have a tyre with such a good reputation written off so quickly. That gives the retailer a choice: he can give you a replacement tyre out of good will, leaving him with a happy customer who may mention this on forums, to friends, etc, or can take your attitude. Schwalbe are a major tyre manufacture with a good reputation, so it would be in their interests firstly to try and find whether it was a fault or a sharp stone, piece of glass or whatever, that had pierced what is meant to be a supremely tough tyre, and secondly to maintain that reputation.

My rear tyre blew out the first evening I bought the bike. I phoned the retailer, and a replacement appeared the next day, no charge. That was for me the end of the story, so you can imagine my surprise when two of the new model Schwalbe tyres turned up on my doorstep a week or two later.
I don't know why your tire blew out -- but if was for no apparent reason other than a manufacturing defect, then yes, by all means, contact the seller or manufacturer and ask for a replacement.

The OP's tire was obviously damaged by something s/he ran over on the road. The tire was fine, no defects, no failure, no fault of the retailer nor the manufacturer. Not even the fault of the OP, since it's just the sort of thing that happens occasionally - it's called "bad luck." And it was the OP's bad luck, as s/he was riding the bike -- it had nothing to do with the retailer or the manufacturer. So why should one of them be responsible for the loss? (And I do see a direct parallel to my example, which you casually dismiss. Please tell me why it is not relevant?)

It sounds like you would still ask for a new tire, even in the situation described by the OP. And you might get it for free. I guess the difference between us is that I wouldn't ask, since I don't expect anyone else to bear the cost of my bad luck. And yes, I have been in those situations and responded just as I am describing.
Old 02-14-19, 02:01 PM
Koyote

I mean, hell, if we expect sellers to bail us out each time we have bad luck, where will it end?

Old 02-14-19, 02:27 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
. And you might get it for free. I guess the difference between us is that I wouldn't ask, since I don't expect anyone else to bear the cost of my bad luck. .
That^^^ But most of society today expects someone else to 1. Be responsible for anything bad that happens. and 2. To pay for it.

anyway...

99% probabilty you could boot it and ride it down to the cords. But it's that 1% that will kill you. I'm cheap too but surgery costs more than a new tire, even with insurance. I'm too old for recovery/rehab/loss of wages/loss of riding time/ loss of quality of life, even if temporary. All for a $40 tire? Nah, personally I'd replace it and not look back.

But add me to the camp of, Why didn't you repair and ride home? Yeah, I'd ride it with a boot to get home but who walks 5 miles home?
Old 02-14-19, 03:15 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't know why your tire blew out -- but if was for no apparent reason other than a manufacturing defect, then yes, by all means, contact the seller or manufacturer and ask for a replacement.

The OP's tire was obviously damaged by something s/he ran over on the road. The tire was fine, no defects, no failure, no fault of the retailer nor the manufacturer. Not even the fault of the OP, since it's just the sort of thing that happens occasionally - it's called "bad luck." And it was the OP's bad luck, as s/he was riding the bike -- it had nothing to do with the retailer or the manufacturer. So why should one of them be responsible for the loss? (And I do see a direct parallel to my example, which you casually dismiss. Please tell me why it is not relevant?)

It sounds like you would still ask for a new tire, even in the situation described by the OP. And you might get it for free. I guess the difference between us is that I wouldn't ask, since I don't expect anyone else to bear the cost of my bad luck. And yes, I have been in those situations and responded just as I am describing.
Can you prove that it was obviously something they ran over? No, you cannot. Equally, can you prove that it was weakness in the tyre? No, you cannot.. Let’s be realistic here. Besides, I distinctly have the feeling the manufacturer had something to with the production of the tyre do you deny that? I’m sure you do see a paralllel, but that doesn’t mean you are correct, because, in this case, you are being deliberately obtuse, and possibly the only one who thinks there is a parallel.
Old 02-14-19, 03:24 PM
Koyote

Can you prove that it was obviously something they ran over? No, you cannot. Equally, can you prove that it was weakness in the tyre? No, you cannot.. Let’s be realistic here. Besides, I distinctly have the feeling the manufacturer had something to with the production of the tyre do you deny that? I’m sure you do see a paralllel, but that doesn’t mean you are correct, because, in this case, you are being deliberately obtuse, and possibly the only one who thinks there is a parallel.
You haven't given any critique of my "parallel" other than to state repeatedly that it is inapplicable..Which is the adult equivalent of stamping your feet and saying "Because I said so!" So I'm kind of done with that. It's not really the point anyway.

As far as the tire damage goes: from the OP's description, it is pretty obvious that he ran over something that damaged the tire. If you don't see that, then you probably haven't been riding very long.

You seem to be a person who likes getting something for free, and isn't troubled by the ethics. So be it.
Old 02-14-19, 07:33 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
If the tire is backed by a warranty/guarantee that'd honor the OP unfortunate experience, ethics/morals however it's poked, it comes down to replacement eligibility.
Old 02-14-19, 08:22 PM
ArmChairRider

Bikes: 630 Beach Bike Schwinn Hurricane ATB

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tube is toast. If all else fails for the tire then get a tube of Shoe Goo at WalMart and use only it to patch the tire. Put it in the hole in the tire and wipe off the excess. Put the tire aside for 3 days.
Comes in black also.
Mine hasn't hardened in the tube and I've had it going on 3 years and the stuff still works. Glued straps back on my shoes with less than 3/8" surface area. Continuous full on flexing against them and it doesn't give.
You might be able to save the tube with it also. Most likely there will be a pinhole to patch after it dries though.
Old 02-15-19, 07:10 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have done that several times over the years. Boot the tire and ride it. When I have cuts of that size I put a double boot on it and run it on the front. Less weight on the wheel will put less stress on the booted portion of the tire. Had one go 3000 miles like that until the boot finally wore through!
No way in hell would I ride that tire. Not with the kind of riding I do, 40+ down hill in places. Now maybe for a casual ride...nah, not even then.

and on the front too?

Last edited by spelger; 02-15-19 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-15-19, 08:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
As your first pic denotes "put a fork in it it's done".
Yeah, but it's not a carbon fork.
Old 02-15-19, 08:13 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I wonder if this incident could have been caused by one of those cheap Chinese 'sploding inner tubes? I would think having one of those rupture suddenly under 100 lbs of pressure could blow a hole into a tire. Where else is all that pressure gonna go, but straight through the tire? Though running over a nail or sharp piece of metal or glass is probably more likely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.