Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Everesting Indoors?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Everesting Indoors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 03:48 PM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Everesting Indoors?

Has anyone here ever Everested indoors?

I just bought an Elite Zumo direct-drive trainer and am thinking to replace my planned 160 rep hill in May with an attempt indoors on the Zumo & Zwift as there would be no downhill & food/water/rest (not sleep) would be easy - I'd be home. Any advice/suggestions/warnings? Would anyone suggest heading out and doing the 160 reps over the trainer? (The hill in question is around a 30 minute drive away.)

Thanks
Old 02-13-19, 04:10 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
SUBSCRIBED.....I am contemplating the same thing on Zwift myself. Does it really count if you do it on Zwift? That is my personal affliction with it. I am interested to see where this thread goes.
Old 02-13-19, 04:12 PM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
SUBSCRIBED.....I am contemplating the same thing on Zwift myself. Does it really count if you do it on Zwift? That is my personal affliction with it. I am interested to see where this thread goes.
As far as the validity of it goes, I'd say it's as respectable, if not more, than outdoor Everesting (assuming you don't cheat and lie about your weight ). There's a list of rules published here: https://everesting.cc/virtual-everesting-rules/
Old 02-13-19, 05:13 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I follow some on Strava who did it on a trainer. Took him 11+ hours. I can't be on the trainer more than 2. blech.
Old 02-13-19, 05:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Inducing high altitude sickness ??
Old 02-13-19, 05:39 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Better you than me.
Old 02-13-19, 06:11 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Eleven hours on a trainer sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.
Old 02-13-19, 06:31 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
I had surgery for a kidney stone last week. I think I'd rather repeat that than spend 11+ hours on a trainer.
Old 02-13-19, 08:34 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

11 hours on a trainer would be hell...but I think everesting would be hell anyplace I think.
Old 02-13-19, 08:49 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I went and looked it up: https://www.strava.com/activities/2046202143

Crazy. Oh and the dude's single* and rides 14k mi/year. I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't a touch envious.

*Ok that's a huge assumption. He might have 10 kids for all I know. I'm just going from what little Strava-stalking I do when I kudos his rides.

Last edited by superdex; 02-13-19 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-13-19, 10:51 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
It doesn’t, nor should it, count. Riding up hills only counts when you ride up an actual hill. This should be doubly true for any sort of “challenge”.

Good luck in any case.
Old 02-14-19, 02:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles
As far as the validity of it goes, I'd say it's as respectable, if not more, than outdoor Everesting (assuming you don't cheat and lie about your weight ). There's a list of rules published here: https://everesting.cc/virtual-everesting-rules/
Interesting rules, but curious how this works on Zwift, since it mentions you can pick any hill but have to go up and down the same hill (can't ride a loop). I didn't think you could actually pick where you want to ride in Zwift, and can you just turn around at the top of any hill to go back the way you came from? Does a FIT file pick up whether you had your trainer set to 0 or Max difficulty?
Old 02-14-19, 06:07 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts

Ensure your trainer is calibrated, preferably to an actual Power Meter. Then make sure “trainer difficulty” (in Zwift settings) is set to 100% in order to replicate real world feel of the slope you are riding.

Old 02-14-19, 06:21 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs

Ensure your trainer is calibrated, preferably to an actual Power Meter. Then make sure “trainer difficulty” (in Zwift settings) is set to 100% in order to replicate real world feel of the slope you are riding.

Yeah, I think that's how I understand that setting works. I was asking whether your selected setting shows up in the FIT file generated after your ride?

Also, just my $.02 on "trainer difficulty", if I do understand what it does correctly: Basically I think of this setting as a means to change the gearing on your bike, without needing a credit card to buy another crank, cassette and/or bike.

Watts are watts and you won't be going any faster, but can spin happily up a 18% grade (eg. maybe only going 2-3mph in zwift). The gearing on your real bike on the trainer could be more suited to flatter routes, and you would not likely want to invest in another bike for Zwift's 18% inclined areas. That would be silly when this is avoided by simply using the inherent built-in benefit of a smart trainer to emulate ride conditions AND/or bike gearing setup.
Old 02-14-19, 07:57 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah, I think that's how I understand that setting works. I was asking whether your selected setting shows up in the FIT file generated after your ride?

Also, just my $.02 on "trainer difficulty", if I do understand what it does correctly: Basically I think of this setting as a means to change the gearing on your bike, without needing a credit card to buy another crank, cassette and/or bike.

Watts are watts and you won't be going any faster, but can spin happily up a 18% grade (eg. maybe only going 2-3mph in zwift). The gearing on your real bike on the trainer could be more suited to flatter routes, and you would not likely want to invest in another bike for Zwift's 18% inclined areas. That would be silly when this is avoided by simply using the inherent built-in benefit of a smart trainer to emulate ride conditions AND/or bike gearing setup.
I think you are right about the gear analogy. For me, I want to replicate my bike and power exactly. I use smart rollers and have actually ran out of gears on a climb.....that was a hairy moment because you have to keep moving lol.
Old 02-14-19, 08:22 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I will compare this topic to doing a century on Zwift. I did the century to get the kit and badge. Zwift had me at 101 miles, but my actual bike wheel sensor had me short of 100 miles. So I didn't consider this a "real" century ride. I am going to do that "officially" outdoors this year, that is my goal. Not sure if this is an apples to apples comparison.
Old 02-14-19, 08:56 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles
Has anyone here ever Everested indoors?

I just bought an Elite Zumo direct-drive trainer and am thinking to replace my planned 160 rep hill in May with an attempt indoors on the Zumo & Zwift as there would be no downhill & food/water/rest (not sleep) would be easy - I'd be home. Any advice/suggestions/warnings? Would anyone suggest heading out and doing the 160 reps over the trainer? (The hill in question is around a 30 minute drive away.)

Thanks
Here's the thing. Are you just trying to challenge yourself physically? Then if so, yea, doing it on a trainer "counts" because you're going to be suffering a lot for a very long time. Are you trying to impress other cyclists by posting your "everesting" story on scoial media/strava/whatever? Then you're going to get mixed reactions. I personally think it's stupid because trainers suck and not something I'd tell anyone I was doing, but it would be a hell of a workout.
Old 02-14-19, 09:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Eleven hours on the trainer. God, there's got to be another way. Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 02-14-19, 10:46 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Climbing 29,028' on a trainer is an amazing feat, but it's not "Everesting". The following are things that aren't done for the 11-15 hours on the trainer, that need to be done on the road, that all have a fatiguing effect to some level: No core engagement, no maintaining your balance on steep uphill stuff in the granny gear, no sore hands from sustained heavy braking on the steep downhill stuff, no need to maintain visual focus on the road in front, no uphill headwind to psychologically and physically wear you down, no riding in the dark to deal with, very little chance for a flat repair, no clothing changes due to temperature fluctuations, no worries about finding food/water/restroom, no need to get aero, no need to wear a helmet or riding eyewear, no need to carry battery packs to manage the batteries of your lights,/Garmin/music player.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 02-14-19, 11:02 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Climbing 29,028' on a trainer is an amazing feat, but it's not "Everesting". The following are things that aren't done for the 11-15 hours on the trainer, that need to be done on the road, that all have a fatiguing effect to some level: No core engagement, no maintaining your balance on steep uphill stuff in the granny gear, no sore hands from sustained heavy braking on the steep downhill stuff, no need to maintain visual focus on the road in front, no uphill headwind to psychologically and physically wear you down, no riding in the dark to deal with, very little chance for a flat repair, no clothing changes due to temperature fluctuations, no worries about finding food/water/restroom, no need to get aero, no need to wear a helmet or riding eyewear, no need to carry battery packs to manage the batteries of your lights,/Garmin/music player.
Not to mention rain. I did a 6000 vert climb in a literal downpour for hours. Rained so hard that it shorted out my front light. Water running down the road was almost 1 in deep and that does not even count the thunder and lightening.

Also, I don't see how a trainer can duplicate "gravity" which we know is a *****. That constant pull in the opposite direction on the way up. Given weather, gravity and wind, don't see how a trainer would qualify. Now 11 hours on a trainer would qualify for something. I cannot imagine the boredom. Plus there is no real thrill when you summit. Not for me.

john
Old 02-14-19, 11:24 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Here's the thing. Are you just trying to challenge yourself physically? Then if so, yea, doing it on a trainer "counts" because you're going to be suffering a lot for a very long time. Are you trying to impress other cyclists by posting your "everesting" story on scoial media/strava/whatever? Then you're going to get mixed reactions. I personally think it's stupid because trainers suck and not something I'd tell anyone I was doing, but it would be a hell of a workout.
For most people, such a "workout" would do more harm than good.

There would be little training benefit after a few hours.

Personally, I wouldn't put my bike through that, let alone myself.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-14-19 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-14-19, 12:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
Not to mention rain. I did a 6000 vert climb in a literal downpour for hours. Rained so hard that it shorted out my front light. Water running down the road was almost 1 in deep and that does not even count the thunder and lightening.

Also, I don't see how a trainer can duplicate "gravity" which we know is a *****. That constant pull in the opposite direction on the way up. Given weather, gravity and wind, don't see how a trainer would qualify. Now 11 hours on a trainer would qualify for something. I cannot imagine the boredom. Plus there is no real thrill when you summit. Not for me.

john
​​​​​​The folks at Teton Gravity Research agree, in a love/hate kind of way.
Old 02-14-19, 12:35 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Does it really count if you do it on Zwift?
One must consult the Velominati. No other judgement will suffice.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 02-15-19, 11:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Climbing 29,028' on a trainer is an amazing feat, but it's not "Everesting".
That's kind of a given, considering that "Everesting" is one of the most contrived cycling experiences one can undertake.
Old 02-16-19, 12:15 AM
smarkinson

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
A while ago I rode up the Alpe du Zwift and there was a bunch of nutcases all everesting it at the time and they were spread all over the climb. I guess the good thing is you can get off the trainer and sit down for 10 minutes while your avatar rolls down the hill. No need to steer or brake and it's downhill all the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.