Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Leakproof lunch container

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Leakproof lunch container

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 11:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Even with waterproof containers, I don't trust that they're perfect. Sometimes, I use a plastic bag with rubber bands. Sometimes I even make two layers of plastic bags. And I still realize I might be cleaning up, but at least with plastic bags, that is reduced.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-15-19, 12:12 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I eat a lot of soups and stews and when I used to bring lunch to work, I find freezing them into a solid block stopped the leaks. But didn't help with condescension in warm weather. It beat having soup all over my bag. Of course, it helps if there is a microwave at work. I use plastic to transport the food and keep a small ceramic pot in the office for the microwave.
Old 02-15-19, 12:41 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
I eat a lot of soups and stews and when I used to bring lunch to work, I find freezing them into a solid block stopped the leaks. But didn't help with condescension in warm weather. It beat having soup all over my bag. Of course, it helps if there is a microwave at work. I use plastic to transport the food and keep a small ceramic pot in the office for the microwave.
That's what I do with most of my liquid/semisolid food.
Old 02-15-19, 12:52 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Some really good ideas posted. I do want to reiterate a few.
Tupperware beats Gladware for watertight seal.
That being said, the round Gladware with the screw-on lids do seal up quite well.
Ziploc bags are watertight.
Dehydrated foods are lightweight and quite convenient. I bring some of the same stuff I use for bicycle camping.
I do use 1 gallon Ziploc bags to contain any liquid-ish items even if leaking is not expected, (I was struck by a car a few years ago and everything in my bag ended up covered in peach yogurt).
Old 02-15-19, 01:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
specifics?

Originally Posted by no motor?
How about a sandwich?
Ham..
Old 02-15-19, 02:07 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Dehydrated food? Why don't we bring a cask of hard tack and salt pork while we're at it?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-15-19, 02:40 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I carry my stuff in a backpack so I put moist stuff in a Nalgene and then dump into bowl at work to heat up.
Old 02-15-19, 03:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
lol I don't know how long 'find a unit' takes, but why wash it? put a cup of water in it, click the lid on, hold it sideways over the sink for 10sec and watch it drip
hahaha well, where's the woman's lunch bag? did she bring it in? is it still out in the car? does she have two? did she even use it today? maybe it's in the dish washer?
Old 02-15-19, 06:42 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I use the containers u get from the Chinese takeout. Instead of throwing them out I use them and when done with lunch they usually go to the garbage then
Old 02-15-19, 06:44 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
I use the containers u get from the Chinese takeout. Instead of throwing them out I use them and when done with lunch they usually go to the garbage then
Just make sure they are the ones for soup once u put the lid on tight they hardly ever leak
Old 02-15-19, 08:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Spaghetti sauce will stain plastic (and turn all the baby bottles orange in the dishwasher, haha).
Hit your plastic containers with some non-stick spray before adding food, and it won't stain or smell.
Old 02-16-19, 12:02 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
Just make sure they are the ones for soup once u put the lid on tight they hardly ever leak
That's not bad. Similar containers for supermarket deli (not canned) soup
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-18-19, 02:57 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Plastic snap-lock containers do not leak. They don't need to be the "snaplock" brand per se--what you want is a container with a lid that has a gasket and tabs that snap around the base. Someone mentioned glass-base snaplock containers upthread--I don't have experience with these myself. I'm a little surprised to learn that they do leak. I understand there are reasons not to microwave in plastic; there are also reasons not to transport glass on a bike, so you need to choose which risk you want to take.

Ziplock containers absolutely do leak. Tupperware is a little better, but not great IME.

There are silicone food-storage bags that all seem to use a slide-on clamping rail to seal them. They're kind of spendy, but they are microwave safe and pretty rugged. I don't have any personal experience using them to transport liquids, but they might be worth checking out.
Old 02-18-19, 06:09 PM
Mitkraft

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I also use plastic containers with a rubber gaskets and sides that snap/lock into place. I only bike to work about half the time and don’t usually take lunch when I do (I bring it in advance on drive days). But I regularly take soup in the containers described above in my backpack. The container is rectangular and flat and sits on its end in my backpack. It doesn’t leak but I also use one of those giant travel ziplock bags (not sure how big, bigger than a gallon) as a liner in my backpack just in case.
Old 02-18-19, 08:58 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Wifey has been using these new units. not sure where she got hers. they seem very good. I've only washed them, never used them. if I were carrying them in a bike trunk I would sit them down right side up & maybe inside a plastic shopping bag. I usually do that anyway for the stuff that doesn't always stay in the trunk

These look very similar to what I use - also glass, I've had them for about 4 years. No problems although they do get less reliable with age. When it's something with high potential of ruining my clothes (soup, Indian, marinara sauce), I put the container in a 1-gallon zip-lock-like bag. The rectangular 2-cup ones fit perfectly into an Ortlieb pannier, the square 4-cup ones make it bulge but still fit.

Here's a link where you can see the 2-cup (teal) and 4-cup (green) containers: https://www.amazon.com/Snapware-Tota...df_B011L4Q15Q/
Old 02-19-19, 10:35 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
I've been using the lock & lock plastics for 2 years now without issue. They are light- a factor when carrying lunch in, and narrow, minimizing storage spacing issues. I carry homemade soup all of the time and have never had a leak. I like these styles for soups and salads because you can shake them to mix up confidence.

Went with salad today on my 18 degree commute-

Leak-proof

Last edited by kayakindude; 02-19-19 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-19-19, 11:39 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I also like the several Pyrex/Borofloat/Duran glass-bottomed ones with plastic lock on lids with a sealing gasket that I have tried. I now have three that I bought here in Sweden at various places over the last 5 years which are more-or-less the same shape and size. The lids aren't interchangeable due to them being from different manufacturers. I have a few others from the same manufacturers, but they're bigger and haven't made any treks by bicycle.

I find that if I pack them when everything is hot, the air gap shrinks volumetrically as it cools, and it helps keep everything under vacuum in a way. Often if I want to open them directly from the fridge I need to pry the edge up with a knife, actually, to release the relatively small level of vacuum before I can open them.

I was trained with good industrial hygiene and safety, so I always have them secondarily contained in another thing like a ziplock bag, which can be re-used many times without a leak. I understand that if I'm in an accident, the bag may rupture. I'm okay with the risk of needing to buy new socks and the potential release of 0,5 liters of chicken broth in a small radius surrounding my corpse.

I only have one bottom and lid from the IKEA stuff, but I like them as well as the others and the idea is perhaps better. One can buy the bottoms and lids separately, and many of the sizes mix-and-match, along with the plastic bottomed ones. If something goes wrong, you don't necessarily need to buy all the parts together again, and perhaps you don't need so many lids in your collection.
Old 02-19-19, 11:57 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I noticed a bento type set at the grocery store last week. It had a freezer pack for a base, a main compartment for the greens with a top level for the salad dressing and other toppings all covered by a lid. It looked very well made and thought out.
https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Lu...65129820&psc=1
Old 02-19-19, 03:51 PM
Robbykills
Hi. I'm in Delaware.

Bikes: 2017 All City Space Horse, 2015 Jamis Dragonslayer, 2016 Velo Orange Pass Hunter Disc, 1991 Tommasini Competizione, 2018 Soma Wolverine fixed gear, 1996 Diamondback Outlook w/Crust Clydesdale, 1999 Torelli Corsa Strada (Coaster Brake Conversion ;] )

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been using a Zojirushi bento jar for 6 years on my commutes. Have bought 2. Occasional leakage in the jar only (not out into the pannier) when I don't screw something on right but works great and is easy to get positioned in a pannier to stay upright. https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SL-...gateway&sr=8-2
Old 02-20-19, 01:51 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Wifey has been using these new units. not sure where she got hers. they seem very good. I've only washed them, never used them. if I were carrying them in a bike trunk I would sit them down right side up & maybe inside a plastic shopping bag. I usually do that anyway for the stuff that doesn't always stay in the trunk

I use containers like these with a ziplock bag backup. They even have reusable silicon ziplocks now. I just bought one the other day. Anyway I find this style pretty leak proof but I always find there is a little bit of something on the sides that leave things messy. So the ziplock is my just in case.
Old 02-20-19, 05:48 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Also, they need to be stackable to take less storage space. If they don't stack, then they're out for us. We don't like wasted space.
Old 02-20-19, 10:48 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I noticed a bento type set...
Threadjack? I recently learned that "Pinto" is the Thai variation of the word/concept Bento. There's a nice little Thai restaurant in my town called Pinto that is decorated with a bunch of attractive Pinto sets. I thought it was odd that a Thai restaurant would name itself after a Mexican bean, until I looked it up.

About

BRINGIN IT BACK AROUND --- I don't know how waterproof a set of Pinto lunchboxes would be. There is a clever spring clamp, but there would also have to be rubber or silicone seals.
Old 02-20-19, 10:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Don't heat your food in a plastic container. Leached plastic in our food might cause cancer. My cow-orkers thought I was weird for having ceramic and pyrex dishes of my own at work, but I'm not going to eat out of plastic.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-20-19, 10:53 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I use leftover containers and cheapest disposable tupperwares (that I never dispose of), lids held on w/ rubberbands and then the whole stuffed into a plastic shopping bag. For soupy stuff, I use the leftover containers and take more pain to put it upright into the pannier, although still w/ the rubberbands and outer bag.
Old 02-20-19, 11:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Don't heat your food in a plastic container. Leached plastic in our food might cause cancer. My cow-orkers thought I was weird for having ceramic and pyrex dishes of my own at work, but I'm not going to eat out of plastic.
(a) I love that you said cow-orkers, I also try to slip that in whenever possible (even verbally)
(b) I love acting contrary to popular 'wisdom', so I enthusiastically microwave food in microwave-safe plastic containers.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20044714

I'm also a big fan of MSG, I eat food (even dairy) way past the date on the package (as long as it smells OK), and I eat glutens all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.