Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Looking at this 1986 Lotus Excelle...Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 06:47 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

To start with...is the price fair? I'm not that mechanically inclined so a thorough rehab would be done by a bike shop. What would that cost? I really like vintage stuff. Right now I have a Schwinn Sierra that I just put road tires on...then took off because I cut the valve stem on the rear...then put back on again. That was about as mechanically adept as I get, hence the need fro a bike shop.

So what would be a fair price? Are these any good?
Old 02-14-19, 06:59 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by LifeNovice1
To start with...is the price fair? I'm not that mechanically inclined so a thorough rehab would be done by a bike shop. What would that cost? I really like vintage stuff. Right now I have a Schwinn Sierra that I just put road tires on...then took off because I cut the valve stem on the rear...then put back on again. That was about as mechanically adept as I get, hence the need fro a bike shop.

So what would be a fair price? Are these any good?
Was there meant to be a link?
pretty hard to throw out a valuation without any pics or indication of condition.
Btw there is a valuation sub forum where this will probably land.
Also suggest picking up some basic mechanical skills. Maybe leave hard stuff to a shop to begin, but tires, new chain, new cables, adjusting derailleurs and brakes are all simple procedures that will save you $. At a minimum everyone who rides should know how to change a tube.
Old 02-14-19, 07:56 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Originally Posted by LifeNovice1
To start with...is the price fair?
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.
Old 02-14-19, 08:06 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Prolly this one.

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/b...817655702.html

Old 02-14-19, 08:28 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Yup...that's it. I'm a bit foggy brained tonight. Still at work....
Old 02-14-19, 08:54 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Entry level cro-mo frame but a good marque. Looks well used, has less dessireable 27" wheels, I think you can do a lot better since it's not been cleaned/tuned up. Probably needs work. I don't like the hyperbole in the ad. Makes me think this isn't an original owner. If it is, why present the bike like this?

You asked what a rehab would cost. Shop rates are expensive and a bad one will clean out your wallet for repacked bearings, cables, housings, pads, adjustments, assuming they're a vintage friendly shop, which you really want. All of a sudden you're $350 all in. You can get a better bike, usually here.

Last edited by clubman; 02-14-19 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 09:41 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Agree with Clubman. I'd pass unless I could get it cheap. Way too much paint damage for my taste. It probably is structurally sound . I'm thinking $75.00 as it sits. Good bike to learn maintenance on. Not as hard as you think. Park Tools has videos of many repair and maintenance techniques as does youtube. Plus we're happy to offer help.
Old 02-15-19, 11:07 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Nice bike with just OK price. But the overall condition is just to rough for someone not experianced in rehabing bikes and doing the work them selves. As for costs probably in then $150 range figuring some parts , if you don't have a fairly deep parts bin. tires and new consumables if one does the work themselves and likely cost prohibative if a shop does the work $300-400 and most shops just wouldn't take this job and tell you you should get another bike.
Old 02-16-19, 06:56 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Love the bike. I've got the identical model hanging in the basement of my house in Atlanta. Mid 80's made in Japan. Rock solid Tange frame. Nice alloy wheels. Good bike to learn how to wrench on things. If I could get that for $75 or so. I could completely disassemble it. Polish the frame. Repack the bearings. Replace the brake pads, tubes, tires, chain, bar wrap, seat, and whatever else and sell it for about $350. If you don't have any mechanical skill and, don't own all the tools required to work on it ................................ fuhgetabowdit.