Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question on bike build/components costs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 12:46 PM
sultanofsuede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

i'm in the process of having a bike built and always looking for a few ways to shave off some money here and there. i'm going through a local shop on the buy, but noticed that he's charging me full price on the wheels that i've selected. meanwhile, i've seen the same wheels online for almost half the price.

is there any reason i shouldn't buy the wheels on my own and put them on the bike when i pick it up?
Old 02-18-19, 01:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
That's a question best asked of the shop. The markup on components is probably the only thing that is making it worth the shops time to build and give you any implied warranty for their services. If you start cutting out their means of making money, then you might as well do everything yourself. Bikes shops seldom get any better deal on components than you can, so they need that mark up to justify their time spent researching, ordering, shipping expense and other stuff that adds up to way more expense for them than simply putting the parts together.

If you are going to let them build the bike, then let them get the stuff and be happy.

Without the wheels, they can't do the final adjustments of the derailleurs. You may also cut out one of the most significant chunk of their gross revenue.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-18-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 01:28 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
First off, are you SURE they're the exact same wheels? Hubs? Spokes? Nipples?
Second, are you comparing an off the shelf, machine built wheelset to a hand built and tuned wheelset?

Don't over look the details, and remember, you usually get what you pay for.

-Kedosto
Old 02-18-19, 01:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
That's a question best asked of the shop. The markup on components is probably the only thing that is making it worth the shops time to build and give you any implied warranty for their services.
This, exactly.

Kind of surprised you didn't do the research and ask the questions Beforehand.
Old 02-18-19, 04:56 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think that you can tell the shop that you aren't prepared to spend that much on wheels and that you would like to supply your own wheels for the build. Ask them how much they would charge to build the bike up with a wheel set that you supply.

I don't like to do much of my own wrenching and thus have fostered pretty close relationships with LBSs. I sometimes supply my own components and I sometimes let the shop source them. When I ask the shop to source components, they are pretty upfront about the dealer cost versus what they will charge me. I don't mind occasionally paying a bit more help out a local shop. If the shop goes under, then I'd have to start servicing my own bike, so I have a vested interest in their success!
Old 02-18-19, 10:09 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It all depends on the shop. Communicate with them and it’s fine. I have taken a complete build to a shop before. They charged me a $100 build fee. I am very picky about parts and my bikes and the owner knows this. I always let him service my bikes and buy my sons bikes from him. A good shop will work with their customers. Just talk with them.
Old 02-18-19, 10:57 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
If they are charging you the full hourly rate for the build time there is no reason you can't pick and choose whatever components you want to supply.
If they are doing you some kind of deal for the labour cost you should discuss with them.
Old 02-19-19, 01:00 PM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
All good/fair input. I do try to support my local shop, but when it comes to keeping a large spend in my budget, I just thought I'd give the wheels a shot. I'll just talk to them and let them know what I'm seeing. The cost difference is large enough that if I need to pay their full price, I might just not buy a bike this year at all.
Old 02-19-19, 01:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
If I were getting a custom frame it would have custom wheels with special hubs and Alpine spokes and plenty of other cool stuff. If they’re just bolting together your components and the wheels are Mavics or something, negotiate.
Old 02-19-19, 04:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by sultanofsuede
All good/fair input. I do try to support my local shop, but when it comes to keeping a large spend in my budget, I just thought I'd give the wheels a shot. I'll just talk to them and let them know what I'm seeing. The cost difference is large enough that if I need to pay their full price, I might just not buy a bike this year at all.
Are they building the wheels.or just installing them? Just tell them to forget the wheels ... installing a wheel .... not too tough .....
Old 02-20-19, 09:54 PM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
just buying some stock wheels. not going with custom hubs/spokes. i talked to them and they said to just drop them off when they start putting the bike together. gives me a guilty feeling, but dayyyyaaamm!! i get to pocket about $1100, and it keeps me on budget.
Old 02-21-19, 08:21 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The thing to understand about the bike part business... Is that the internet sale cost you see is typically as little if not less than what your LBS is paying just to get the part....not even shipping or overhead etc, just the supplier cost. This is par for the course, and completely normal. Nothing nefarious going on--your LBS is just trying to keep the lights on.

Depending on how tight you are with your LBS and how chill they are...they might tell you upfront to buy online and they'll build from parts-in-a-box to save you money as they don't make much off parts supply but labor. My last build was Di2, my LBS welcomed me getting the parts online--in part to save me money, in part because they weren't going to make much anyway off the parts, in part to free themselves a bit of liability/responsibility if parts didn't go together as neatly as theorized...as Di2 doesn't have any market here and they'd never sell the parts to someone else if I backed out.
Old 02-21-19, 08:55 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Kind of surprised you didn't do the research and ask the questions Beforehand.
Old 02-23-19, 06:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
just buying some stock wheels. not going with custom hubs/spokes. i talked to them and they said to just drop them off when they start putting the bike together. gives me a guilty feeling, but dayyyyaaamm!! i get to pocket about $1100, and it keeps me on budget.
$1100 savings just on the wheels? What wheelset anyway?
Old 02-28-19, 11:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
$1100 is almost half the price? So you were going to buy $2000 wheels for the bike?
Totally cool, not judging as its your money and all, but you also mention you are always looking for ways to shave off $ here and there. Im guessing there are a lot more areas you could shave off $ if your wheels were going to cost $2k.
Did you price anything out beforehand? A shop will charge you a flat rate to just build up a frame if you bring all the components.
Old 02-28-19, 03:30 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
That's a question best asked of the shop. The markup on components is probably the only thing that is making it worth the shops time to build and give you any implied warranty for their services. If you start cutting out their means of making money, then you might as well do everything yourself. Bikes shops seldom get any better deal on components than you can, so they need that mark up to justify their time spent researching, ordering, shipping expense and other stuff that adds up to way more expense for them than simply putting the parts together.
This.

Originally Posted by Shuffleman
It all depends on the shop. Communicate with them and it’s fine. I have taken a complete build to a shop before. They charged me a $100 build fee. I am very picky about parts and my bikes and the owner knows this. I always let him service my bikes and buy my sons bikes from him. A good shop will work with their customers. Just talk with them.
I can list off the number of shop owners I can think of that would lose their mind at only charging $100 for the build. If it's just a collection of components and a frame - I'd agree with them. If the shop was only charging you $100 for a build then I'm guessing that you're either super friends, They suck at business or knowing the value of their time, or you were already buying the majority of parts through them and not fighting with them on spec or price.

When we started doing service to the public I was confronted with assembling a boxed bike. "how much to put it together?" - in my head I'm thinking, "This is simple, I just have to unpack it and put everything in its place and then check all the adjustments and send it out the door."..... "$40" - "SOLD!" I didn't learn my lesson until I started having clients tall me that I was WAY less expensive than other shops. Come to find out that I am still on the low end of the price spectrum even charging $70-$80 and that's for a boxed bike.

I know one shop owner who swears it will cost him $50 in labor hours just to physically remove the bike from the box, cut off all the packaging material, and then to deal with the box and trash.

Full on "nice" bike assembly from a frame is $200 from me and that's if I know you or you are on my team. I will spend 3-4 hours cleaning, prepping, installing and adjusting every aspect of that bike not to mention all of the incidentals that no one ever really provides in a build.

Old 03-04-19, 11:25 AM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
$1100 is almost half the price? So you were going to buy $2000 wheels for the bike?
Totally cool, not judging as its your money and all, but you also mention you are always looking for ways to shave off $ here and there. Im guessing there are a lot more areas you could shave off $ if your wheels were going to cost $2k.
Did you price anything out beforehand? A shop will charge you a flat rate to just build up a frame if you bring all the components.

yes - the regular price that is published (and that the shop wants to charge) is about $2100. i'm ok just going ahead and paying full list price on all other things. i've made some decisions on a few items that have helped me save a few bucks here and there. but yes, i believe i can score these wheels for almost half the price, and at the end of the day, my wife is much happier with the overall spend on the bike. i thought about buying all the parts on my own, but i do like having a good relationship with the shop and just don't feel right cutting them out of some of the profit. i think we'll have to just meet in the middle on the wheel set though.