Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

RD highest gear wont shift up

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 06:13 PM
shine2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the rd on my 7 gear bike hybrid is on the highest gear it doesnt want to shift up to the 2nd highest gear when i try to change the gear up 1 but it will just go halfway before it stops and stays.the cables are relativity clean and chain too.i have made sure to line up the highest gear with the rd and looks perfectly straight aliened so its not bent or anything.
Old 02-18-19, 06:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Not the best description to really know what's going on. "it doesn't want to shift up to the 2nd highest gear when i try to change the gear up 1 but it will just go halfway before it stops and stays"

"1" what?

"Half way..." Are you saying it shifts to the half way point of the cog set (#4 cog, the middle one of a 7 cog set) OR are you saying that the chain tries to climb up on the second smallest cog but doesn't make it over and over?

Among the various reasons the second suggestion I ask about can happen is due to wear (the guide pulley flops about, the chain is totally worn out, the cog teeth are so rounded off they don't grab the chain, the der has so much slop in it's various pivots). Or the cable isn't properly adjusted or the amount of open chain between the guide pulley and the cog's underside is so large that the many links just slop over and the chain's plate doesn't engage the next cog's teeth (and one way this happens is if one of the der pivots is seized and won't let the upper pulley to track just below the cog).

But when you find out what's going on do let us know. Andy
Old 02-18-19, 06:54 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Try unscrewing the adjuster knob a half turn or so where the cable housing meets the rear derailleur. If that helps, but there's still an issue, do another half turn or so.

If your bike is sort of new, this is almost always needed after a while. Your cable housing settled in, and you need a little more tension in the cable. Just a guess, playing the odds.