Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 01-06-07, 09:32 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by I_Bike
The Dynamik is probably the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Have you tried the RANS - it's nothing like the other Crank Forwards out there - most of them I do not like. I had a recumbent for a while and I really never cared for it. I have arthritis in my back and bone spurs in my neck, so it takes a bit to get comfortable on any bike. I have to ride what I can ride and the CF bikes do it for me.

Adjust the database to read 242 for me. A week of exercise and eating less and I gain 4 pounds? With my metabolism, it’s probably true. It could also be our scale – but I have to go with what’s on the readout. Sucks…
Actually, that can happen.....muscle = 7X the density of fat!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 01-06-07, 04:57 PM
I_Bike

Bikes: RANS Dynamik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You flatter me!
Old 01-13-07, 04:58 PM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my bikes

here is a link to my bikes, mostly 1970-1980's vintage lugged steel and my one recumbent.

https://www.myspace.com/eccentriccyclistcharlie
Old 01-24-07, 10:59 PM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
6'3" was 250, in 04, now 217 and got too big of a gut and so on, I just read an article on page 74 of Bicycling Magazine March 07, it says I ride my butt off and my big gut is still there, it's because I eat too much junk.
I think the magazine is right, I need to get a handle on the food.
Old 01-25-07, 08:00 AM
Panic
Rocking the roads of Bama

Bikes: Trek 1200, Masi Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Junk food is a problem. If I could diet, I might actually lose weight. I'm really thinking about Nutrisystems. Anyone have any real life experience with it?
Old 01-25-07, 09:09 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by Panic
Junk food is a problem. If I could diet, I might actually lose weight. I'm really thinking about Nutrisystems. Anyone have any real life experience with it?
You can do exactly the same thing without the marketing and namebrand markup following a sensible nutritional plan....

Nothing special about Nutrisystems other than being prepackaged and expensive. If you consult a dietician, you can set up a plan that will get the same effect. What you need to do is not concentrate on dieting. Diet has the connotations of punishing yourself by depriving yourself of calories. Instead, concentrate on the concept of more thoughtful and saner nutritional choices.

In a hunter/gatherer society, the occasional shot of high fat power food was correct, unfortunately, we lead a lot more sedentary life now, intrinsic to a high tech civilization. The fact of the matter is, if you are burning 16000 calories a day, you can eat 16000 calories without significant weight gain.

Our average for maintenance is +/- 1800 calories a day and this varies due to factors like differing basal metabolic rates. Eating at McDonald's, for example, is not the right choice for those needs. Keep a food journal of everything that crosses your lips, even chewing gum and I think you'll be shocked as to the number of calories you actually consume.

Old 01-25-07, 02:59 PM
The CLYDE
Clyde Rider/Racer

Bikes: Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy everyone...I just joined today, great to find y'all out here. I'm a SERIOUS Clydesdale, at 6'4" and weighing in at a svelt(sp?) 379lbs, that's down from my sprinting weight of 406lbs. Don't need any pats on the back, it's a dubious honor dropping those pounds. But, believe it or not, I'm an ex-semi pro triathlete from the early 90's but that was 1 back, 3 knee surgeries, two kids and roughly 87,326 Bean Burritos w/ sour cremes ago...
These are exciting times considering I haven't straddled a bicycle in five years (used to commute five days a week and ride all weekend just five years and one day ago) BUT it's all changing now in 2007. I'm building my BOMBPROOF rig (Surly Crosscheck) and should be on the road by early February, been dieting, stretching and just getting my body prepped for it's return to a healthy lifestyle and again, I'm just really excited to have found you all out here in Cyberland.
Please don't be offended if I chime in on just about everything, while I'm a nice guy, I have to admit to being one of those a-holes that thinks they know EVERYTHING about cycling...but my only agenda is to help out any novices, premote the wonderful world of cycling and maybe make some pals along the way. May all your rides be flat and the wind at your back (somehow going out and coming back home?)
Old 01-26-07, 12:25 AM
glenhoffman60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clydesdale is a look not necessarily a weight. A stocky muscular guy could definitly be one. A 6'5" 200 pound guy doesn't qualify as Clydesdale in my book. There are some 190 pounders out there who could be honorary Clydesdales. I'm 5'10" and 205. Clydesdale is something I associate more with running than cycling. For running people call me a Clydesdale. For riding people say I look like a mountain biker. If you are carrying that much weight, you should be very careful about some of the space age and sky high priced lightweight components out there especially the wheels. My first road bike has a set of Bontrager Race Lites that have held up for over 5000 miles with no problems. I put Mavic Aksiums on my second road bike right after I bought it and I like the feel of them so far. I like the ride on my Reynolds 853 steel frame. My carbon frame bike rides nice, but is too new for me to comment on how well it will hold up for many "Clydesdale" miles.

Glen
Pa.
2003 LeMond Zurich
2006 Fuji Team
Specialized FS Comp
Old 01-26-07, 06:09 PM
dmyway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to these forums and happy to see this thread. I ride a 1985ish cannondale with campy athena/chorus components, Im just back into cycling and considering a old 1970s steel frame. There are no competitions in my future and I have always heard that the ride is smoother than aluminum. And hell I always lusted for one of those pretty italian bikes, the ride thing is just a good excuse. I just dropped 25lbs in the last 6 mos. Here's how: no soda, no fast food, plenty of water and only one plate of food per meal. I used to eat according to how much food was available. Meaning if there was more left I kept going till It was gone or till I could not move. now I put the food on my plate, say to myself "there's enough food for a normal human being" and that's it no more. In the beginning I was hungry all the time, thought I was going to starve to death but have gotten used to it,,,, kind of. Oh my god I love donuts. well thanks for listening. great to know I'm not alone.
Old 01-26-07, 06:11 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by dmyway
Hello all, I'm new to these forums and happy to see this thread. I ride a 1985ish cannondale with campy athena/chorus components, Im just back into cycling and considering a old 1970s steel frame. There are no competitions in my future and I have always heard that the ride is smoother than aluminum. And hell I always lusted for one of those pretty italian bikes, the ride thing is just a good excuse. I just dropped 25lbs in the last 6 mos. Here's how: no soda, no fast food, plenty of water and only one plate of food per meal. I used to eat according to how much food was available. Meaning if there was more left I kept going till It was gone or till I could not move. now I put the food on my plate, say to myself "there's enough food for a normal human being" and that's it no more. In the beginning I was hungry all the time, thought I was going to starve to death but have gotten used to it,,,, kind of. Oh my god I love donuts. well thanks for listening. great to know I'm not alone.
Welcome aboard, d! Yep, we're pretty friendly bunch in here.....

Just watch out for that Tom Stormcrowe, he's a mean ol' slavedriver!

Old 01-27-07, 06:39 PM
fthrud
spaghetti farmer

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm off the couch

I finally got off the couch and into the fray today. I'm 5'10" 225, so definitely feel like a Clydesdale. Had an ACL allograft (transplant) 9 weeks ago, after years of reduced activity (chronic knee problems) and 6 months of zero activity (complete ACL separation, torn MCL, ripped meniscus). So, I've been planning, researching and anticpating getting my fat ass into motion ever since the surgery. Got permission from my orthopedic surgeon to trade in the stationary bike for the real thing a couple days ago.

Hybrid between $300 - $500 seemed the best way to start, can always upgrade if I can stay as dedicated and interested as I hope to be. Had 5 bikes in mind when I left the house this morning, spent 7 hours at 3 bike shops, rode them all, came home with a Trek 7200. (Specialized Crossroad felt cheap, Giant Sedona was more mountain than road, Gary Fisher Tiburan had lesser components for the same price, Giant Cypress was a very close second)

The goal is 180 pounds - what I weighed when I was discharged from the Army 25 years ago (how the hell can it 25 years?!?!?). I almost got there a few years ago courtesy of Dr. Atkins, but diet without sustained physical activity is doomed....for me anyway. So, I'm off the couch, the goal is to be in the saddle for at least an hour several nights a week, and progressivly longer excursions on the weekend. Wish me luck...and motivation.

best regards to all,

fThrud
(the f is silent)
Old 01-27-07, 06:42 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by fthrud
I finally got off the couch and into the fray today. I'm 5'10" 225, so definitely feel like a Clydesdale. Had an ACL allograft (transplant) 9 weeks ago, after years of reduced activity (chronic knee problems) and 6 months of zero activity (complete ACL separation, torn MCL, ripped meniscus). So, I've been planning, researching and anticpating getting my fat ass into motion ever since the surgery. Got permission from my orthopedic surgeon to trade in the stationary bike for the real thing a couple days ago.

Hybrid between $300 - $500 seemed the best way to start, can always upgrade if I can stay as dedicated and interested as I hope to be. Had 5 bikes in mind when I left the house this morning, spent 7 hours at 3 bike shops, rode them all, came home with a Trek 7200. (Specialized Crossroad felt cheap, Giant Sedona was more mountain than road, Gary Fisher Tiburan had lesser components for the same price, Giant Cypress was a very close second)

The goal is 180 pounds - what I weighed when I was discharged from the Army 25 years ago (how the hell can it 25 years?!?!?). I almost got there a few years ago courtesy of Dr. Atkins, but diet without sustained physical activity is doomed....for me anyway. So, I'm off the couch, the goal is to be in the saddle for at least an hour several nights a week, and progressivly longer excursions on the weekend. Wish me luck...and motivation.

best regards to all,

fThrud
(the f is silent)
Welcome to Clydes, SilentF

Old 01-27-07, 06:54 PM
Panic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
You can do exactly the same thing without the marketing and namebrand markup following a sensible nutritional plan....

Nothing special about Nutrisystems other than being prepackaged and expensive. If you consult a dietician, you can set up a plan that will get the same effect. What you need to do is not concentrate on dieting. Diet has the connotations of punishing yourself by depriving yourself of calories. Instead, concentrate on the concept of more thoughtful and saner nutritional choices.

In a hunter/gatherer society, the occasional shot of high fat power food was correct, unfortunately, we lead a lot more sedentary life now, intrinsic to a high tech civilization. The fact of the matter is, if you are burning 16000 calories a day, you can eat 16000 calories without significant weight gain.

Our average for maintenance is +/- 1800 calories a day and this varies due to factors like differing basal metabolic rates. Eating at McDonald's, for example, is not the right choice for those needs. Keep a food journal of everything that crosses your lips, even chewing gum and I think you'll be shocked as to the number of calories you actually consume.
hey Tom,

I did that it worked, but worked best in the summer when I'm riding. Once I hit fall it fell apart. The think about Nutrisystem for me is the meals are pre-packaged. I open it up, eat what is in front of me, and move on. Decisions on what to eat are removed.

I'd really like to find someone who's done it with Nutrisystems, but that's sounding like a decent option. It would probably be cheaper than my usual daily intake.
Old 01-27-07, 09:41 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by Panic
hey Tom,

I did that it worked, but worked best in the summer when I'm riding. Once I hit fall it fell apart. The think about Nutrisystem for me is the meals are pre-packaged. I open it up, eat what is in front of me, and move on. Decisions on what to eat are removed.

I'd really like to find someone who's done it with Nutrisystems, but that's sounding like a decent option. It would probably be cheaper than my usual daily intake.
Fair enough! Just thought I'd mention it. Now, Nutrisystem, expense aside....is effective from what I've seen. of people here in Lafayette that I know that use it.

Old 01-27-07, 09:50 PM
Panic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. Good know that real people actually use it and its effective. Sure Marino, Golic and company, but real peoples trials is good to know.
Old 01-28-07, 01:42 AM
PATH
Opus

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Bianchi Axis, Specialized Crosstrail, Specialized Roubaix, Miyata Sportsrunner, Trek T1 Track Bike, Specialized CrossTrail Expert, Specialized Tricross Comp Triple

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am a Clydesdale at 6'6" and 336 lbs. I ride a 2006 Specialized Roubaix and a 1989 Miyata Sportrunner ATB.

Last edited by PATH; 01-30-07 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 09:42 AM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll weigh in here... 5'6" and 275 pounds. Yeppers, an obese Clydesdale. Two total knee replacements, other medical problems (not heart related). I started bicycling after the TKR (as part of rehab), and decided to ride to keep my range of motion. I don't go fast, or too far in one day. I started out riding a single speed Schwinn (and didn't ride very often), then bought a Trek Navigator in 2004. Last month I bought a Novara Randonnee, hoping to do a little "road work" in the Spring.

Judy
Old 02-03-07, 10:38 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by jagraham
I'll weigh in here... 5'6" and 275 pounds. Yeppers, an obese Clydesdale. Two total knee replacements, other medical problems (not heart related). I started bicycling after the TKR (as part of rehab), and decided to ride to keep my range of motion. I don't go fast, or too far in one day. I started out riding a single speed Schwinn (and didn't ride very often), then bought a Trek Navigator in 2004. Last month I bought a Novara Randonnee, hoping to do a little "road work" in the Spring.

Judy
Judy, a Clyde is a guy! You're an Athena! Athena sounds more ladylike, true?

Old 02-03-07, 10:53 AM
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Tom -- I found the Athena group *just* after I posted here (first post). It just felt so great to find a group of "larger" people I had to jump in.
Old 02-07-07, 03:28 PM
oger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found your group. I am also in the track forum. anyway, 50 y/o male, had gastric bypass, lost 165lbs 5 yrs ago.. started riding after 17 years off bikes. got weight down to 180 then tried c/cross racing. loved it, even though always last (but finished)! started gaining again early last year after c/cross over. last summer took up fixed gear and tried track racing. took a free course at t-town velodrome. got my a@@ handed to me! still have hell of a time keeping weight off, but goal is to race again in spring. now i'm about 225 and 5'10". gotta lose alot so i don't die on the track! anyway: bypass will get you down to a fighting weight, then it's up to you to stay there! i hope you all well and i'll be looking for some good advice and tips.
Old 02-07-07, 03:35 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by oger
Found your group. I am also in the track forum. anyway, 50 y/o male, had gastric bypass, lost 165lbs 5 yrs ago.. started riding after 17 years off bikes. got weight down to 180 then tried c/cross racing. loved it, even though always last (but finished)! started gaining again early last year after c/cross over. last summer took up fixed gear and tried track racing. took a free course at t-town velodrome. got my a@@ handed to me! still have hell of a time keeping weight off, but goal is to race again in spring. now i'm about 225 and 5'10". gotta lose alot so i don't die on the track! anyway: bypass will get you down to a fighting weight, then it's up to you to stay there! i hope you all well and i'll be looking for some good advice and tips.
Welcome aboard Oger! Fellow Bypass patient here, and it's good to run across another! Check out these threads!
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=257976
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=240772
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=231419

Old 02-10-07, 08:48 PM
DukeRyder
FatTire

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix & Turner Burner

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad I found this! I posted over on the Roadie page. I've been cycling for a long time, mostly mountain biking but since moving to the City a couple years ago I haven't gotten much use out of it, part laziness, part busy work schedule, part not liking to pedal that bike on the pavement.

I'm looking to get a Roadie suitable for my 6'1" 255# self. I really need to start loosing some weight, I have deskjob, and have joint problems which made me stop weight training 2yrs ago and I've put on 30#s since
Old 02-10-07, 09:04 PM
Garandman
Fred

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Super Sp0rt, Trek hybrid, eBike, Xootr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll always be a Clydesdale. When I joined the Army I was off the height/weight chart so they tested my body fat percentage and gave me a waiver. I'm 6'2 and my lean body mass is around 193 lbs. So anytime I have more than essential body fat (3%) I'm a Clydesdale. I weighed 242 recently but I'm trying to get down to about 230. I played college Lax at between 210-215, but that ain't happenin. I'm starting to cycle more as I have kids, live in the city where parking can be difficult and need to give my knees a break.

I won the Clydesdale Div. of a 10K road race in Concord, NH years back. And finished 185th. I wanted them to run a "Chainsaw Class" where everyone had to carry a 7lb chainsaw. That would put the skinny guys in place.
Old 02-10-07, 09:15 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by DukeRyder
Glad I found this! I posted over on the Roadie page. I've been cycling for a long time, mostly mountain biking but since moving to the City a couple years ago I haven't gotten much use out of it, part laziness, part busy work schedule, part not liking to pedal that bike on the pavement.

I'm looking to get a Roadie suitable for my 6'1" 255# self. I really need to start loosing some weight, I have deskjob, and have joint problems which made me stop weight training 2yrs ago and I've put on 30#s since
Pretty much any frame will do, as long as it isn't one of those bonded thin wall Osmium/Scanium frames or ultra lightweight other racing frames! What you want are good wheels! I'd be hesitant about Carbon frames and carbon forks, but that's me! I prefer lugged steel. Aluminum is fine and so is Ti! Depends on how much you want to spend!

On the wheels, hand built 36 spoke and you'll be golden! Don't sweat about shaving grams, except on the body for now, and keep your road bike safe for a bigger rider.

Old 02-11-07, 12:05 AM
umatillarider

Bikes: giant ocr2 carbon, raleigh 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well guys, now at 256 but picked up my carbon giant ors2 a couple of months back and haven't had any trouble with the carbon frame at all. the worst thing was the seat - they seem to never come with a seat that fits your butt. now have a wtb laser that seems ok. have to put a few more miles on it. but the numbness from down below (you know where) has gone away, and has not returned so i guess the groove in the seat does it's job. now for the seattle to portland run in july. that will be a personal best. on the south beach diet starting tomorrow, and plan to get to 220 by june. i am now down from 283 last year, so it can be done. thanks for all the great tips on this site. i find that the best info comes from those who are either experiencing 'clydseness' or have been there. keep up the good work.

cole

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.