Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 12:19 AM
turky lurkey

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport, 1973 Schwinn World Voyaguer, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Specialized Rockhopper, 1988 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I Put some drop bars on my '87 Diamond Back Apex, for my first drop bar conversion. The bike has some interesting features, such as Huret downtube shifters, bio-pace chainrings, a u-brake, XT-pedals, and 1.5" Schwalbe Marathon's. Just finished this project this evening and I probably won't ride it for a couple days do to the fresh snow that's been falling all day. I rode this bike a few thousand miles in it's flat bar form as a commuter and trail rider. I thought I'd finally admitted it's 18" frame was a little small for me so I'd robbed some of its components for another project, a drop to flat bar conversion on a road bike. Then it occurred to me that the drop bars I took off of the other project would fit on this bike and might make the length more comfortable, next thing you know I was playing musical components again and transferring some of the components back to the Apex and robbing another bike for the road bike flat bar conversion project. Anyway, I think the Diamond Back will fit better in this form, I hate to give up on such a cool old MTB!.

Last edited by turky lurkey; 02-01-14 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-01-14, 07:16 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
sweet Diamondback
Old 02-01-14, 07:20 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posted this before but now it's finally out of the basement and has some miles and on it. Rides, tracks, shifts great and is quite comfortable. It was a mint $25 craigslist bike that was mostly destroyed in an accident last year. I love that bike and was determined to rebuild and ride it again.

Budget build but makes me happy to ride.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1000794.jpg (91.1 KB, 829 views)
Old 02-01-14, 08:54 AM
turky lurkey

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport, 1973 Schwinn World Voyaguer, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Specialized Rockhopper, 1988 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
sweet Diamondback
Hey thanks! You are obviously into your Diamondbacks! And vintage mtb's in general. What component group came on your '86 Apex? Mine has mostly Deore which works great but I think previous ones were XT?

There is an Ascent of roughly the same vintage that has been abandoned in front of my college's recreation center since the middle of last summer. It has a lock but hasn't moved, has flat tires and some obvious mechanical issues, the u-brake cable is disconnected on it and one of the shifters is taken apart. I guess the owner figured he didn't know how to fix it so just left it there. I really want to save it from the dump and I asked campus security if I could have it, unfortunately no, they would rather have it rot there for now. They said they give all the abandoned bikes to some guy and the end of the year who refurbishes them. Apparently some lucky guy already has the monopoly on getting all the free bikes.

Last edited by turky lurkey; 02-01-14 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-01-14, 12:59 PM
dyander

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really love these bikes, everything from the true dirt-drop vintage MB race bikes to our budget built do everything bikes like turky lurkey's DB and Number 4000's GT on this page. Now with a month or so of fit and road testing behind me, I am still blown away by how the bike completely fills the needs as my everyday bike,

and my main rider in this rural town where the best roads for riding turn to dirt.

I spent the last few years trying to get the right ride set up to hit these up and down dirt and gravel roads. My touring bike was great going up but too harsh and hard to control on the descents even with dual pivot brakes. The flat bar MTB set up was ok too, but with only one riding position it was hard to enjoy the longer rides.
Now I'm in heaven, the wide drops and hoods give plenty of riding positions, control when you need it and some flex for comfort and confidence in the descents. With the compromise 26 x 1.75 tires to handle the dust and gravel without giving up too much on the street and the great rigid frame MTB comfort to take up the cobbled, rocky or washboard patches, every ride is a blast.
Thanks to all the inspiration on this thread, I am a true convert.
Old 02-01-14, 01:50 PM
turky lurkey

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dyander
I really love these bikes, everything from the true dirt-drop vintage MB race bikes to our budget built do everything bikes like turky lurkey's DB and Number 4000's GT on this page. Now with a month or so of fit and road testing behind me, I am still blown away by how the bike completely fills the needs as my everyday bike,

and my main rider in this rural town where the best roads for riding turn to dirt.

I spent the last few years trying to get the right ride set up to hit these up and down dirt and gravel roads. My touring bike was great going up but too harsh and hard to control on the descents even with dual pivot brakes. The flat bar MTB set up was ok too, but with only one riding position it was hard to enjoy the longer rides.
Now I'm in heaven, the wide drops and hoods give plenty of riding positions, control when you need it and some flex for comfort and confidence in the descents. With the compromise 26 x 1.75 tires to handle the dust and gravel without giving up too much on the street and the great rigid frame MTB comfort to take up the cobbled, rocky or washboard patches, every ride is a blast.
Nice looking bike! The budget aspect is great, the only things I bought for my conversion so far that I didn't already have was a new freewheel, clamp on down tube shifters and a longer bolt to make the shifters work with the bigger tubing. I can't wait to try mine out on some local trails and gravel roads but I think I might wait until the snow melts a bit, though that might be awhile. It's snowing now and we are supposed to get another 3-6" inches on Monday. Maybe I should just put the knobbies on and give it a go with some low tire pressure

Last edited by turky lurkey; 02-01-14 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 02:32 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Turkey Lurkey:
I think a pair of conventional Cane Creek brake lever hoods would fit your levers. Nice Apex! You'll find the extended bar position will yield a fine fit at the hoods.

Number400:
Wonderful job on the Timberline. Nice save.
Old 02-01-14, 02:43 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

I really love these bikes, everything from the true dirt-drop vintage MB race bikes to our budget built do everything bikes like turky lurkey's DB and Number 4000's GT on this page. Now with a month or so of fit and road testing behind me, I am still blown away by how the bike completely fills the needs as my everyday bike, and my main rider in this rural town where the best roads for riding turn to dirt.

Great photo! And wonderful conversion, just love the Bianchi celeste. I would love to find one to make my 2nd one.
I agree whole-heartedly. I'm hooked too. These bikes are so confident in off road trails. They open up riding opportunities that would be too tough for road bikes.
With my current 2.1" CX tires, I even take it single-tracking in really difficult conditions.
Swap on 1.75" commuting tires and it floats over pavement. And a pair of 1.25" slicks allow me to hustle pretty effortlessly.
A true SUV of bikes which won't cost an arm and leg, yet the return is pure satisfaction.
Old 02-01-14, 04:25 PM
dyander

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
Turkey Lurkey:
I think a pair of conventional Cane Creek brake lever hoods would fit your levers. Nice Apex! You'll find the extended bar position will yield a fine fit at the hoods.
+1 on some lever hoods

Sorry about the weather, we tend to get spoiled out here on the sunny coast, but right now I trade a month on my trainer for a foot of rain. This will be a scary place this summer if we don't get some rain soon.
Old 02-01-14, 06:04 PM
turky lurkey

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
+1 on some lever hoods

Sorry about the weather, we tend to get spoiled out here on the sunny coast, but right now I trade a month on my trainer for a foot of rain. This will be a scary place this summer if we don't get some rain soon.
Yes good plan with the hood's guy's I'll get some ordered pretty soon. I just came back from a snowy 12-14 mile ride into the front range on a rural paved then gravel road. I should have put on the knobby tires like I said I was going to do, instead I rocked the marathon's at about 25 psi. and it was little slippery. It was fun though, everything working well on the bike and it feels comfortable.

Last edited by turky lurkey; 02-01-14 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 06:53 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Old 02-01-14, 11:27 PM
turky lurkey

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden
nice stump jumper! And quite the mural behind it.
Old 02-02-14, 05:43 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
dang my gf has the same stumpy, also with drops. i still gotta take a pic. it looks like your bike is uh, getting fresh with the lady there
Old 02-02-14, 06:29 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
dang my gf has the same stumpy, also with drops. i still gotta take a pic. it looks like your bike is uh, getting fresh with the lady there
Just a teet bit.
Old 02-03-14, 10:30 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
1986 Schwinn High Sierra

Received tires in the mail today (26x2.4 CST Cyclops. For those used to metric, that's 61mm!), so nearly finished with my conversion.

Started tear down about a month ago and have been slowly building it back up. Derailleurs are stock (Suntour XC), brakes are stock rollercams (with new brass pulleys from a BF member), crank arms are deore xt that I had on hand (spindle hole on the non drive side arm was rounded, so it as try to buy and match or used parts bin crankset. Esay choice), with stock chainrings from original crankset (good thing, as the xt rings were biopace). Bars and non aero levers are from a donor 1984 Miyata 210, bartape is planet bike, saddle is a selle royal from a 1985 Miyata 610 (which is now sporting my Brooks B17 Special honey colored with matching bartape), shifters are $20 ebay suntour barcons.

Hoping to post a pic this weekend. Should be a great commuter/hauler/gravel grinder.
Old 02-03-14, 04:39 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Received tires in the mail today (26x2.4 CST Cyclops. For those used to metric, that's 61mm!), so nearly finished with my conversion.

Started tear down about a month ago and have been slowly building it back up. Derailleurs are stock (Suntour XC), brakes are stock rollercams (with new brass pulleys from a BF member), crank arms are deore xt that I had on hand (spindle hole on the non drive side arm was rounded, so it as try to buy and match or used parts bin crankset. Esay choice), with stock chainrings from original crankset (good thing, as the xt rings were biopace). Bars and non aero levers are from a donor 1984 Miyata 210, bartape is planet bike, saddle is a selle royal from a 1985 Miyata 610 (which is now sporting my Brooks B17 Special honey colored with matching bartape), shifters are $20 ebay suntour barcons.

Hoping to post a pic this weekend. Should be a great commuter/hauler/gravel grinder.
Whoa, sounds great. You must have to deflate those tires to get them past the rollercams, right? I struggle to get 1.95s through, even with q/r on the levers and cable hanger. But maybe I'm doing it wrong. I look forward to the photos.
Old 02-03-14, 05:33 PM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
I love this thread, these bikes are so cool. I can't wait to get mine done but other projects keep sneaking in front. It was supposed to be ready by the start of winter, obviously not going to happen.
Old 02-03-14, 05:39 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Originally Posted by inkandsilver
Whoa, sounds great. You must have to deflate those tires to get them past the rollercams, right? I struggle to get 1.95s through, even with q/r on the levers and cable hanger. But maybe I'm doing it wrong. I look forward to the photos.
Actually, no, I can put the wheels in with the tires inflated (mounted them about an hour ago). I pop out the pulley plate (or whatever you want to call it) and the wheel then slides in just fine. I was kind of surprised, as the tires really are huge.
Old 02-04-14, 06:30 PM
revcp 

Originally Posted by revcp

Quoting myself here so as not to repeat all the specifics. Only thing to add is that the barstem is also from the Miyata 210 donor. Below are some pics. Sorry about the quality. It was dusk, hovering around 0 degrees and I was using my camera phone. only thing left is to rebuild the front wheel in the spring with a dynamo hub (Shimano or Sanyo) and put a light on. Okay, and maybe fenders. But that's it. Except for bottle cages and bottles. And maybe a front rack. But no more.... See, this is how the insanity happens.

Last edited by revcp; 02-05-14 at 10:15 AM. Reason: correcting damned predictive texting
Old 02-04-14, 06:54 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Roller cams = sweet!!
Old 02-04-14, 08:09 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Nice Schwinn! Between the fat tires and those awesome brakes, it looks like fender installation could be interesting.
Old 02-04-14, 08:16 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Badass!
Old 02-04-14, 08:30 PM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Lovin' that sierra!
Old 02-04-14, 10:39 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

That's the 2nd High Sierra rolling on those 2.4" salamis and roller cams posted here! The other was smoked chrome I think.
Looks great! Don't forget to give a road test/tire review. Curious as to how the traction is, given the lack of tread.
Old 02-05-14, 08:48 AM
revcp 

Originally Posted by due ruote
Nice Schwinn! Between the fat tires and those awesome brakes, it looks like fender installation could be interesting.
Thanks. Maybe, re fender installation. If you look at the final photo, the "head on" photo, there's more room showing than you would think. The challenge, as you point out, will be getting the fenders to sit under the pulley plate, but I think it's a possibility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.