Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Old 03-31-15, 04:30 PM
blart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Finished tweaking the street stomper today:

Old 03-31-15, 04:37 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by blart
Finished tweaking the street stomper today:

Looks great! Are those 26" tires? Look to be maybe 26 x 1.5 Paselas. Paint looks good too. Really nice work.
Old 03-31-15, 05:37 PM
blart

Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Looks great! Are those 26" tires? Look to be maybe 26 x 1.5 Paselas. Paint looks good too. Really nice work.
Those are the exact tires. Thanks!
Old 03-31-15, 05:53 PM
polishmadman
I don't get out enough

Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin, Bike E rx, Diamondback Centurion Expert TG, early 80's steel bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking of going back to geared next. I have the derailers and cassette. I just need barend shifters and crankset.
Old 03-31-15, 06:05 PM
henry_hops

Bikes: 09 specialized hardrock, 91 trek singletrack 950, 70s motobecane grand jubile

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally had a good day for riding my fresh build; a free side-of-the-road 91 Trek SingleTrack 950... I call him, baby blue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (100.0 KB, 841 views)
image.jpg (100.8 KB, 870 views)
image.jpg (99.9 KB, 825 views)
Old 04-01-15, 06:33 PM
SamStewart
bikesbikesbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my 1988 Rocky Mountain Hammer.
thinking about changing the components to 10 speed deore shadow

OG + fenders/rack

Then with some new schwag

Old 04-01-15, 06:48 PM
blart

@SamStewart I like the colors
Old 04-02-15, 05:35 AM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts
My Trek touring wannabe. Bought the frame and fork at a swapmeet last year. Was covered with a light fog of paint overspray. Cleaned it up and the original paint was 90 +%. Frame appeared to be near unridden. Hope to get to try it on a tour this summer.
Attached Images
TREK DROP BAR.jpg (104.3 KB, 472 views)
Old 04-03-15, 02:31 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now with Thunder Burts!

Old 04-03-15, 02:38 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Looks great @whatwolf. Glad you are having fun with the 950. What are the fork brackets for?

Had dinner in West Village last night with Noglider and he showed me the AllCity you built for his bride. Very nicely done.
Old 04-03-15, 02:41 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Looks great @whatwolf. Glad you are having fun with the 950. What are the fork brackets for?
Thanks, this bike is super fun. Those brackets are for the front rack. Quicker to bolt it back on if I leave those on.
Old 04-11-15, 08:28 AM
debit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never see Cimarrons in the wild, and I know people have asked about them in this thread previously, so thought I'd post a head's up. It's at the Minneapolis Police auction next week (April 16) if anyone local has a burning desire for one. Too large for me, alas. Forgot to mention, also a Bianchi Grizzly. Also too large. It sucks being short.
Attached Images
IMG_0669.jpg (75.0 KB, 1680 views)
IMG_0531.jpg (75.9 KB, 1673 views)

Last edited by debit; 04-11-15 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 01:21 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by debit
I never see Cimarrons in the wild, and I know people have asked about them in this thread previously, so thought I'd post a head's up. It's at the Minneapolis Police auction next week (April 16) if anyone local has a burning desire for one. Too large for me, alas. Forgot to mention, also a Bianchi Grizzly. Also too large. It sucks being short.
Those are some sweet bikes and somebody clearly loved them. I feel bad for the PO's.

The thief obviously didn't know that those roller cam brakes are potentially worth more than the rest of the entire bike.
Old 04-13-15, 02:53 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seely
Oh the High Plains may want those too! Gumwall only? Was looking at the Panaracer Tservs 1.75...
I love my T-Serv's. Be aware the 1.75's run on the small size, probably closer to 1.6, if not smaller, I actually pair them with a 1.5" rear tire and they look the same. I find T-Sev's to be very supple and rubbery, with excellent flat protection. I favor them as a front tire. I'm a Clyde so I run something with a stiffer sidewall (Vittoria Randoneur Pro, 1.5") for my rear tire. I don't think the T-Serv's are quite as durable as the Rando Pro's, but I still get a good 3,000 miles out of them before I start getting flats from all the little tiny cuts they've accumulated. Nonetheless, I keep buying them, as they are a great ride (seem to soak up impacts and I feel comfortable getting pretty far over in them cornering, even in the wet) and so totally worth slightly less durability to me.
Old 04-13-15, 04:08 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Thanks. I'm figuring out that I feel more grounded when riding smaller wheel size with wider tires vs, say 27 x 1 1/4" tires.
I agree. Even though I'm 6'2 I feel more stable on 26" wheels compared to a 29er, particularly off-road. I feel like I'm perched up too high and somewhat unstable on the bigger wheels.

Nice build!
Old 04-13-15, 10:16 AM
mattk42

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
I may actually, finally have some photos to show of my Drop Bar Conversion soon. I was going to get it together this last weekend, but I realized something I didn't consider. Stem clamp width (not diameter)... "This doesn't seem right. This stem is not going to fit over these bars." Why didn't I buy the 2-Bolt stem right off?
Old 04-13-15, 11:36 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by mattk42
I may actually, finally have some photos to show of my Drop Bar Conversion soon. I was going to get it together this last weekend, but I realized something I didn't consider. Stem clamp width (not diameter)... "This doesn't seem right. This stem is not going to fit over these bars." Why didn't I buy the 2-Bolt stem right off?
Sometimes, it is like solving a puzzle to get a stem onto a set of bars. Each bend has to be rotated just right, before proceeding to the next one. But if the stem is wide all the way around, you may just be out of luck.
Old 04-13-15, 11:40 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
I agree. Even though I'm 6'2 I feel more stable on 26" wheels compared to a 29er, particularly off-road. I feel like I'm perched up too high and somewhat unstable on the bigger wheels.

Nice build!
Many of the early rigid MTBs have high bottom brackets, which to me makes me feel very much over the bike. The feeling can be changed by lowering the bottom bracket and therefore your center of gravity. There is no reason a 29er can't have the same bottom brackets height as a 26 wheel bikes. So you may find that you want to look more closely at geometry. Your name isn't Mike by any chance is it?

I much prefer the feel of a 29er at over 6'3" as I feel more in the bike than on the bike. My current MTB is 27.5" which isn't that different from 26", I am going back to 29" when I purchase my next MTB. Changing crank length is another way to change your center of gravity and give you a more in the bike feel.

I built the bike below partially modeled from a singular peregrine. I can't remember if I lowered the BB or not, but I think I might have. The intention of this bike is similar to what a lot of the drop bar conversion are in this thread so I feel it is appropriate. I wanted a drop bar machine that would be fun on gravel roads and light trail/ATV road riding that I could kit out as a back roads adventure bike or take touring with a 2" semi-slick for comfort and good handling on gravel. I wanted to improve on my Soma Saga which at 42mm tire width lacked the off pavement capabilities I was looking for. I sort of succeeded because this bike didn't handle super awesome with panniers on rough gravel, but was far better than the Saga. It more a short light and fast machine, but I'd do long distance on it again. My center of gravity is much lower on this than a vintage MTB, the 185mm cranks help, but I also use 180 on it.

Old 04-13-15, 07:34 PM
mattk42

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Sometimes, it is like solving a puzzle to get a stem onto a set of bars. Each bend has to be rotated just right, before proceeding to the next one. But if the stem is wide all the way around, you may just be out of luck.
Hm, maybe I shouldn't have rushed out and picked up a face plate stem. I measured the one I tried to fit and compared the dimensions to the stem on my road bike. The road quill stem measured 3cm across the widest part. The riser quill measured 4cm across the widest part and 3cm across the narrowest.
Old 04-14-15, 02:12 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
I'm just about to give up on finding a black 25.4 Midge bar. I even have a wanted ad on my local craigslist and still no luck.

In looking around the web today, I found these, which seem to be so new that I didn't see any pictures of them on a bike online. 31.8mm clamp size only, so they won't work for me, but I thought others here might be interested.

"Here is your alternative to "alternative drop bars". It's wide and takes MTB grips as well as bar tape. The grip area is long; long enough to run grip shifters and flat bar levers. But the Gator will also take aero levers just like the Junebug. Try it bikecamping, offroading, or touring."

Soma Feed: The Gator Bar Can Swallow the Junebug Bar!

Gator Handlebar

Old 04-14-15, 04:10 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
This can help, but you don't want to go too far with an alloy stem I guess.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/...r-into-a-stem/
Old 04-14-15, 05:52 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
I'm just about to give up on finding a black 25.4 Midge bar. I even have a wanted ad on my local craigslist and still no luck.

In looking around the web today, I found these, which seem to be so new that I didn't see any pictures of them on a bike online. 31.8mm clamp size only, so they won't work for me, but I thought others here might be interested.

"Here is your alternative to "alternative drop bars". It's wide and takes MTB grips as well as bar tape. The grip area is long; long enough to run grip shifters and flat bar levers. But the Gator will also take aero levers just like the Junebug. Try it bikecamping, offroading, or touring."

Soma Feed: The Gator Bar Can Swallow the Junebug Bar!

Gator Handlebar

That would be cool if it were in a size that could fit in a quill stem.

Old 04-15-15, 05:02 AM
Medic Zero

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kehomer
I'm using the T-Serv 1.75" tires on my dropbar Stumpjumper. The last I checked, the bike weighted ~ 26.5 lbs minus the rear rack. In addition to the weight savings of the T-Servs, they are comfortable, look good and don't cost a fortune. They are considerably less expensive than the Compass 26" tires. As I understand it, Both tires share the same casing and are made in the same Panaracer factory near Osaka.

I'm curious about how many other readers of this thread use the T-Servs besides Paramount1973 and myself.
Neither of our converted MTB's have dropbars, but both my girlfriends '96 GT Pantera, and my '93 GT Outpost rock 1.75" T-Servs as front tires. Love them, great tires! I'm also building up a '98 GT Nomad frame as my flat bar road bike, and it'll be rocking 700C T-Serv's on that. Gotta wonder if they run small in the 700C size as well, because the 26 x 1.75's are closer to 1.6".

Good info on the Compass tires, thanks for sharing!
Old 04-16-15, 08:42 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Im in the process of doing up a 26 inch drop bar. I just got my wheels and now i cant decide on a tire. IM looking at the Forte Metro-K as they are onsale right now at ~$15ea. I see alot of that tire in this post. Can anyone comment on them? Im torn between those and the panaracer pasela...both i believe are a 26x1.25. That said.......im used to riding my road bike/SS but with this......id like it to be able to handle a tiny bit of crushed limestone, gravel and single track. IT will mostly be used on paved surfaces...but i want to make this more versatile without giving up rolling resistance. I love speed as well.
Old 04-16-15, 08:52 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
Im in the process of doing up a 26 inch drop bar. I just got my wheels and now i cant decide on a tire. IM looking at the Forte Metro-K as they are onsale right now at ~$15ea. I see alot of that tire in this post. Can anyone comment on them? Im torn between those and the panaracer pasela...both i believe are a 26x1.25. That said.......im used to riding my road bike/SS but with this......id like it to be able to handle a tiny bit of crushed limestone, gravel and single track. IT will mostly be used on paved surfaces...but i want to make this more versatile without giving up rolling resistance. I love speed as well.
I have Paselas 26x1.5 on a bike and Forte Metro Road & Mountain (without the Kevlar). When inflated the Paselas have more of a "squarish" look to them in regard to how the rubber is shaped where it meets the ground. The Forte tires angle up the sides more quickly and have more of an oval shape where the rubber meets the ground. I hope I'm making sense. I find the Forte tires to feel a little more "zippy" and nimble. Of course the Paselas with the tan walls are nice, but I also like the simplicity of the all black Forte tires. I've got those on both my '90 Trek 930 & the '88 Rockhopper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.