Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bicycle repair and parts suppliers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-23, 01:11 PM
DutchRat

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New here and started a bicycle mechanics correspondence course. Looking for an online supplier for repair parts. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Those that have vintage parts would be great as well.
Old 12-16-23, 04:20 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
Unless you have a business license, insurance and location, I can't recall any wholesaler who will sell you anything. Best you can do is peruse all the different online retailers and look for the biggest bargains for getting parts, no other real options.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-16-23, 04:25 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,263 Times in 667 Posts
you should know about UBI Home - United Bicycle Institute (bikeschool.com)

however their parts store seems to be off line

also Cambria bicycle outfitters, universal bike cycles, Branford bikes, and Hill cycles

most of the big wholesalers will not sell quality 1 to the average home workshop

others will I'm sure chime in with their favorite suppliers. I get a lot of stuff off ebay.

Also download some of the shimano repair document PDFs, they are helpful.

not to mention youtube videos

/markp
Old 12-16-23, 06:59 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 275 Posts
What on earth is a "bicycle mechanics correspondence course"?

I understand the whole stay-at-home thing, but this is just downright ridonculous.

I wonder how much a "bicycle mechanics correspondence course" costs.

I'm even more curious about how they can be better than already free Park Tools videos, and how they will test their students to give them a diploma

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unaccr...gher_education
Likes For soyabean:
Old 12-16-23, 07:25 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Back in the day you could take a correspondence course for many careers that you would think required lots of hands on experience. ICS (the International Correspondence Schools) of Scranton, PA was one of the predominant ones. I have their course on steam locomotive operation.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-16-23, 09:07 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
There are no distributors of vintage parts. They are vintage because they aren't in production and not in stock anywhere. Unlike cars, bikes rely on the fact that current parts are mostly compatible with older bikes.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-16-23, 10:32 PM
soyabean

Student of "bicycle mechanics correspondence course" will eventually learn that...

...parts can't be all found at once from one magic stop and shop. Oh right, there's always the amazons, which is ok if it's only BSOs to repair. I was also rather impressed by the amound of Bell products one can find at a Walmart Supercenter. They have all sorts of crap like inner tubes, tyres, saddles, grips, bells, horns, racks and bags, wow.

...parts needed immediately are $$$ (but worth it if it supports a LBS). Oh right, there's always the "let's bypass the middleman" by failing to purchase from wholesalers that the LBS buys from. Good luck with that one if it ain't being shipped to a real staffed storefront.

...parts vintage has me stumped. They must be thinking how it's as easy as a visit to an Autozone, "hey I need a water pump for a 1990 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser" and guess what? They have it in stock with a core exchange too! Oh right, there's always the eboy auction sites, which is ok if it's a MUST at all costs. When I am fixing "vintage" curb finds, it's whatever I've hoarded in my parts bin, or can come from another donor curb find. True, brakes or levers or pedals usually won't match, but at least the bike has some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lmgtfy.jpg (7.2 KB, 136 views)
Likes For soyabean:
Old 12-17-23, 08:28 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
For vintage parts, you'll likely need to go to your local bike co-op (if any) or eBay/Craigslist. Otherwise, I find most of what I need from Bike Tools Etc.
Old 12-18-23, 07:28 AM
mikeonbicycle

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
bike parts

I just built up 3 older retro steel bikes,i found most new parts that are available fitted,except for my 126 mm rear spaced hub which i salvaged from an old bike,some places and online stores do some remakes of older parts but they are very few,I just used all new components that were available everywhere,custom built my own wheels,changed out that old bottom bracket for a nice new sealed one,when i was short of a little part i went dumpster diving,thats a very good parts shop,if the part does not show up in google anywhere than you most likely cant get that part,if you want to build up an older bike with all original components than that road is going to take a very long time,most new components will still fit just about any older bike,thats the road i went down a total re-build on 3 bikes with all modern light alloy components,even doing it this way is quiet time consuming,and its only worth it really if you do all the work yourself,some people sell new old stock parts on the net but you dont get A1 gear,its a hit and miss and not really worth chasing them up,jump in and start building,have fun doing it cheers.
Old 12-18-23, 11:00 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Try this for vintage parts Loose Screws Bicycle Parts – Vintage Bicycle — NOS Shimano and Suntour
Old 12-18-23, 11:10 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
There are no distributors of vintage parts. They are vintage because they aren't in production and not in stock anywhere. Unlike cars, bikes rely on the fact that current parts are mostly compatible with older bikes.
Not exactly distributors but sources.
​​​​​​https://bikerecyclery.com/who-is-bike-recyclery/

​​​​​​https://www.yellowjersey.org/

Last edited by dedhed; 12-18-23 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-18-23, 03:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
Sorry if it's already been asked----Where's home?.

An important consideration since international shipping is costly if sellers allow it.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-18-23 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-18-23, 05:44 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Sorry if it's already been asked----Where's home?.

An important consideration since international shipping is costly if sellers allow it.
Location says Michigan
Old 12-18-23, 06:15 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Well, there's a lot more than that. I just got some Mavic derailleur parts from Mercian Cycles. But none of these outfits have a regular, reliable stock of anything. You are just as likely to find the vintage part you need on Craigslist as any one known 'vintage' shop.
Old 12-18-23, 08:10 PM
soyabean

This reminds me of those gullable homeowners that pay to join these "factory direct" wholesale clubs to have fight club access to buy kitchen cabinets on the cheap, cutting out the licensed contractors and their myriad of secret suppliers. I've always wondered who installs these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 12-18-23, 09:40 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts

I understand the whole stay-at-home thing, but this is just downright ridonculous.

I wonder how much a "bicycle mechanics correspondence course" costs.

I'm even more curious about how they can be better than already free Park Tools videos, and how they will test their students to give them a diploma

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unaccr...gher_education

If your fee payment reaches their bank, I imagine you pass the test.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-18-23, 10:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
When I rebuilt my one vintage bike, I got almost everything through eBay. Some parts were used. Some were NOS (new, old stock). Replacement parts for newer (sub-20yo) bikes can also be found on eBay pretty regularly, and well as new/current stuff. Knowing exactly what you’re looking for - and looking at - is kind of helpful, however. Someone new to bikes might not be aware of the small differences that are a big deal.

I also use Amazon, Cambria, Jenson USA, Universal, and probably some others I’m not thinking of. For new tires, I have regularly found the best deals through Lordgun. Despite being an Italian company, their shipping is surprisingly quick. Tires I ordered Friday were delivered today.
Old 12-19-23, 09:15 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,324 Posts
A lot of “replacement” parts that are compatible with older bikes are being produced by offshore third parties. It is not too unlike parts for older cars. You might not be able to get an OEM water pump, but you’ll get one that works.

The biggest issue with vintage is the value is in the vintage components. Unless you are looking at specific highly sought after bikes, stripping lightly used parts off a frame and selling them individually will be more profitable. This also translates to buying them will be more expensive.

John
Old 12-19-23, 09:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

This reminds me of those gullable homeowners that pay to join these "factory direct" wholesale clubs to have fight club access to buy kitchen cabinets on the cheap, cutting out the licensed contractors and their myriad of secret suppliers. I've always wondered who installs these?
The same people who install these? You know, DIY homeowners, their buddies, guys doing side jobs.

​​​​​​https://www.homedepot.com/b/Kitchen-...s/N-5yc1vZas87
Old 12-21-23, 06:40 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
you should know about UBI Home - United Bicycle Institute (bikeschool.com)

however their parts store seems to be off line

also Cambria bicycle outfitters, universal bike cycles, Branford bikes, and Hill cycles

most of the big wholesalers will not sell quality 1 to the average home workshop

others will I'm sure chime in with their favorite suppliers. I get a lot of stuff off ebay.

Also download some of the shimano repair document PDFs, they are helpful.

not to mention youtube videos

/markp
I would add that I have found a lot of the leaflets that Campagnolo packaged with their parts, can be downloaded from the Campagnolo site, and saved on our hard disks. These are the manuals which tell you required clearances, torques, threadings, and how the sequences of index shifting works (among a lot of other critical information, like installation procedures). When you read them don't worry about the French, Italian, and German instructions, the English ones are also there.

I get frustrated when I see someone dissing and even damaging their new Campy parts when they become frustrated using instructions which are written for Shimano products, trying to set them up using incorrect instructions.