Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Favorite Brompton chain oil

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 12:05 PM
DarrenM343

Bikes: 2017 Brompton Nickel H6L Superlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's your favourite chain oil? The manual recommends a dry oil with good penetrating properties. So far I've tried the following.
Muc-off C3 Ceramic Wet (used for first part of Autumn/Winter until I switched to dry oil)- made the drive chain a mess over winter very quickly, couldn't change sprocket gears easily by the end of each week. Back pedalling when folding also nearly made the chain come off a few times when it was mucked up. Degreasing was a nightmare.
Muc-off C3 Ceramic Dry - pretty good but washes off easily in the rain. In the dry weather we've had here for a while it has been really good. Off putting a little is the warning about wearing gloves when using it (not always handy when I'm halfway around the country). Bit expensive and comes with a waste of money light for checking the chain when applied (I'd rather not have this and save a few £)
Squirt Dry oil. Seems okay so far, no special "wear gloves" requirement. First week it seemed to come off quickly and noticed a bit of a squeak towards the end of week (note that I had degreased the chain and applied this on clean chain) but I think it's meant to work better as you build up layers. Second week even with a little rain it lasted well all week . Need to continue using it for 3 months at least.

Interested to hear what others use. As mine has to be packed in car for my commute on Monday's *(130 miles - then return on Friday), I like something that's easy to apply, ideally lasts a week even with an occasional rain shower and helps keep the chain fairly clean.

Last edited by DarrenM343; 08-05-18 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 09:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
see the 1000 prior 'what chain lube' threads created in , say, the mechanics section..

I use whatever I have handy
keeping it clean and well lubricated is a bit of an oxymoron.*

wipe off the sides of the chain after applying lube to the rollers.
it is the pins and rollers and the bushing surfaces between them that needs lubrication ,
not the outside faces of the plates.

*waxes, a bit cleaner, have been used, melted, but are you willing to take the chain off frequently to do this?

[note the Brompton advantage; when folded, the front wheel covers the drivetrain, well..]

Old 08-06-18, 11:39 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
WD40. A quick spray when it dries.

And yes, I know it's heresy.
Old 08-06-18, 12:16 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Are you applying your Squirt lube and letting it dry overnight? I found if I apply at the end of my ride and let it dry overnight, not only does it remain cleaner it also lasts longer.
Btw....is there something specific about a brompton chain that makes lube unique to it????
Old 08-06-18, 12:48 PM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chain-L. It's thick and stays on a long time. I bought a sample pack 4 years ago and I'm still using it, i.e. I still haven't needed to purchase the normal sized bottle.
Old 08-06-18, 01:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

...Is there something specific about a Brompton chain that makes lube unique to it?
Nope /.. 6 speed , a 5~8 speed derailleur (because it switches between 2 cogs), chain is fine..

with my 3 speed next cog and chain will be 1/8"..
have an old style 3/32" on it now..

Old 08-06-18, 03:35 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Btw....is there something specific about a brompton chain that makes lube unique to it????
I was wondering that as well.
Old 08-06-18, 06:25 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Yet another post pointing to...

...the silo and cult mentality, the La-La Land in which some, though far too many, Brompton owners live. Brompton is alone and above in a class by itself, right? It's no mundane, regular chain. It's a Brompton chain.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-06-18 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 07:27 AM
keke

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8 and Mezzo D9

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
...the silo and cult mentality, the La-La Land in which some, though far too many, Brompton owners live. Brompton is alone and above in a class by itself, right? It's no mundane, regular chain. It's a Brompton chain.
Sorry Abu, you've added nothing to this discussion really....
Please give it a rest...
Old 08-07-18, 12:31 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
None of your Beeswax

The chain should ONLY be lubricated with Brompton's Beeswax. Use of any other lubricant voids the warranty. Available at your authorized dealer.
Old 08-07-18, 06:12 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by keke
Sorry Abu, you've added nothing to this discussion really....
Please give it a rest...
To this discussion, perhaps not. But then there is little to add to the tens, perhaps hundreds of threads about chain lubrication on this forum. To the other, long-running discussion, yes. I can understand, though, why my challemge would discomfort you. Over & out.
Old 08-07-18, 10:37 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
To this discussion, perhaps not. But then there is little to add to the tens, perhaps hundreds of threads about chain lubrication on this forum. To the other, long-running discussion, yes. I can understand, though, why my challemge would discomfort you. Over & out.
My approach to internet forums is that if a thread which is clearly titled referencing a subject that: 1) I’m no longer interested in 2) Im fully and completely-irreversibly well schooled in 3) I have no interest in otherwise and I CHOOSE to click it anyway, and then grouse about the subject matter and/or belittle it, then Id be showing my inner asshat to the rest of the world.

I always try to remember that participation in all things internet is 100% voluntary.
Nobody forces anybody to read every single thing.
Old 08-07-18, 11:37 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
As the OP was specifically asking fellow Brompton owners about what they used, Abu's comments were unnecessary, especially as no-one claimed it was a Brompton-made chain, it's merely one that came with the bike.

As mentioned, I use WD 40 which is also a solvent and can be used for cleaning. As it happens, because my Brompton is getting so little use, it hasn't needed oil for months. Having used all sorts of different oils, I think the key is to keep the chain and the derailleurs clean, the oil itself doesn't matter so much.
Old 08-07-18, 11:46 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by avole
As the OP was specifically asking fellow Brompton owners about what they used, Abu's comments were unnecessary, especially as no-one claimed it was a Brompton-made chain, it's merely one that came with the bike.

yes, of course. If a Dahon owner asks other Dahon owners what chain lube to use, no one but Dahon owners may chime in, right? If a Tern owner wants a new wheelset for his rig, only Tern owners may answer. Unless ypu believe Brompton to be on a different league or higher plane. Apologies for barging in on your exclusive club, elitist silo. No one said-including myself- it was a Brompton-made chain. It's called sarcasm, mate.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-08-18 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-08-18, 12:59 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Abu, you did not reply to the questions in the original post, you didn't recommend any type of lubrication, you just went into you usual rant. I don't know why you have this chip on your shoulder, but it is wearing thin.
Old 08-08-18, 01:35 AM
Abu Mahendra

Abu, you did not reply to the questions in the original post, you didn't recommend any type of lubrication, you just went into you usual rant. I don't know why you have this chip on your shoulder, but it is wearing thin.
i was making another point - do i need to connect the dots for you? I was using the question to illustrate th phenomenon. Are you too deliberately dense? Et Tu, Avole?

Recommendations of chain lubricants? There are likely 100s of threads, thousads of posts and recommendations on the subject. Wow, WD40, such an expert you are. What would this channel do without your expert input?

You don't like my spiel, it's growing thin? Put me on your ignore list already. It's really as simple as that, mate.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 08-08-18 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-08-18, 02:36 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The question was about lubricant for chains, absolutely nothing to do with any phenomenon.

Back on topic - which oil do you use on your Dahon chains, and why?
Old 08-08-18, 02:44 AM
Abu Mahendra

The question was about lubricant for chains, absolutely nothing to do with any phenomenon.

No, it was actually about Brompton chain oil. Of course, the OP wasn't about the phenmenon itself. As insightful an input as the WD40. Deliberately dense, or outright dim-witted.
Old 08-08-18, 05:12 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Hey guys, abu is right. Any oil op wants will do the job in a better or worst ways...and some time after chain will wear and will need to a change. No big deal.
its most overdiscussed topic.
stop harasment against abu.
Old 08-08-18, 06:19 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No, abu isn't right. He has a chip on his shoulder which clouds his judgement. Look at his first response, and you'll see what I mean. I also said the oil doesn't matter so much.

This is a harassment free zone .
Old 08-08-18, 06:27 AM
FolderBeholder

Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
its most overdiscussed topic.
Again: nobody forced to read, or reply to this or any other subject.
Participation is voluntary.
Feel a subject is over-discussed?
Move along without participating.

Easy.
Old 08-08-18, 07:38 AM
towndock

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '79 Fuji S12 Ltd, '03 Dahon Helios XL, '09 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Once every year or two, I wander into a bike shop and buy some oil. I could wander downstairs and see what brand is on the bottle, but I only bought it because that is what they carried. I put it on my bicycles, folding and non-folding. It seems to work.

Some comments may be snarky, but the subject of "folding oil" might make it too tempting. If I do come across some Vegan Extra-Virgin Folding Bicycle Oil, I will return to this thread and apologize (and share the source.)
Old 08-09-18, 05:52 AM
DarrenM343

Bikes: 2017 Brompton Nickel H6L Superlight

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for info
About the question along the lines of "special Brompton oil", there's nothing "superior" thinking in my question so move on . It always amazes me however how that people jump to quick conclusions, make assumptions. The OP (meeeeee) has no idea about other bikes. I do remember a year ago when I bought the bike reading it was galvanised which made me think maybe others are not. So the question was not trying to make it sound special, it was a simple question to put to people from someone who bought a Brompton for commuting but has no idea what chains are on other bikes, if they're any different, but I mentioned "Brompton chain" in case there was a difference.
Someone who doesn't know about car engines might wrongly assume they all use the same oil.

Last edited by DarrenM343; 08-20-18 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 09:22 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Imo the only time lube matters on a folder is if it is the kind that folds with the chain on the outside - in which case dry wax is probably a better choice as it will be less messy to carry. Since that doesn't apply to bromptons, any decent chain lube will get the job done. I'd say use the one best suited to your weather and call it a day.
Old 08-09-18, 10:31 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Petroleum.. Synthetic Lubes are still Hydrocarbons or Distilled Methane based.. ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.