Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The New Jones Complete Bicycle ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 11:57 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts

According to their website The New Jones Complete Bike is a do-it-all , all-rounder , so I'm posting here in the General Cycling Forum .
"A great bike for dirt, road, mountains, gravel, city, touring/trekking, bikepacking, commuting, fitness, riding around the world or just around your neighborhood."

I would appreciate hearing feedback from those that have ridden or own the bike .

https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-plus...plete-bicycle/

Old 09-04-18, 04:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Not a good road bike. Can be ridden in a lot of places .... but "do-it-all"? What's the low gear, 32x11? My grocery trips would take twice as long and three times as much work. Forget any kind of quick road-riding.

What that looks like is a more off-road version of the True all-around bike, the mid-late '90s rigid MTB.

Except those bikes cam with triple cranksets, so you really could do road rides, and still climb serious piles of dirt.

My Bridgestone MB4 weighed 30 pounds, which nowadays would be 25, with modern tech ... but it had a 48/38/28 triple Deore running gear, used 1.6 tires (plenty of room for more) and served me well for trails, roads, daily commuting, camping, touring .....

This same bike with a triple and a second wheel set would be pretty good. Discs allow a big variation in rim widths. But ... that is an off-road bike, not an all-'rounder.

In fact, all it is, is a normal 27.5-Plus MTB with Jones bars.
Old 09-04-18, 04:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18426 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What's the low gear, 32x11?
The low gear is 32x42. Did you mean high gear?
Old 09-04-18, 05:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The low gear is 32x42. Did you mean high gear?
32x11 is pretty low ....

(whoops .... .)
Old 09-04-18, 05:29 AM
pakeboi

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not a good road bike. Can be ridden in a lot of places .... but "do-it-all"? What's the low gear, 32x11? My grocery trips would take twice as long and three times as much work. Forget any kind of quick road-riding.

What that looks like is a more off-road version of the True all-around bike, the mid-late '90s rigid MTB.

Except those bikes cam with triple cranksets, so you really could do road rides, and still climb serious piles of dirt.

My Bridgestone MB4 weighed 30 pounds, which nowadays would be 25, with modern tech ... but it had a 48/38/28 triple Deore running gear, used 1.6 tires (plenty of room for more) and served me well for trails, roads, daily commuting, camping, touring .....

This same bike with a triple and a second wheel set would be pretty good. Discs allow a big variation in rim widths. But ... that is an off-road bike, not an all-'rounder.

In fact, all it is, is a normal 27.5-Plus MTB with Jones bars.
No secret sauce geometry ?
What then are some alternatives that I can swap Jones bars ?
Old 09-04-18, 05:29 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
No experience with it, just been drooling over Jones bikes the last weeks.

Normally you buy the frame and build it up and it cost $3K or so with good components. This one is an attempt of a budget version. But you really have to understand the compromises and be happy with them or have to upgrade later. The frame and fork are not heat-treated, so they are heavier than the standalone frame/fork you buy. Obviously you can't upgrade the frame.... 1x10 and cable brakes seems not great. Especially 1x10 seems limited for a "do it all" bike that has to go fast and on very low gear.
You get the same geometry as with the expensive version, so basically you pay for the geometry. I myself rather pay $3K for a great bike than $1,800 for a bike with mediocre brakes and drivetrain. That's just my opinion, I totally understand if someone just wants a nice-riding comfortable bike and can live with the shortcomings. Maybe to you those are not shortcomings.
Old 09-04-18, 05:34 AM
pakeboi

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
No experience with it, just been drooling over Jones bikes the last weeks.

Normally you buy the frame and build it up and it cost $3K or so with good components. This one is an attempt of a budget version. But you really have to understand the compromises and be happy with them or have to upgrade later. The frame and fork are not heat-treated, so they are heavier than the standalone frame/fork you buy. Obviously you can't upgrade the frame.... 1x10 and cable brakes seems not great. Especially 1x10 seems limited for a "do it all" bike that has to go fast and on very low gear.
You get the same geometry as with the expensive version, so basically you pay for the geometry. I myself rather pay $3K for a great bike than $1,800 for a bike with mediocre brakes and drivetrain. That's just my opinion, I totally understand if someone just wants a nice-riding comfortable bike and can live with the shortcomings. Maybe to you those are not shortcomings.
I was thinking the same , pay up now to make it a true "do-it-all" .
Old 09-04-18, 06:12 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
It’s a rigid mtb with disks and a modern 1x drivetrain. What am I missing here?
Old 09-04-18, 07:04 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I wouldn't want that monstrosity for a do-anything bike. Those tires alone weigh almost 2lbs each.
Old 09-04-18, 07:08 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
When I walk through the mall one of the things I am struck by and find bizarre is the number of stores popping up that are obviously trying to find a super-high-end niche. So they want you to pay 300 dollars for their jeans when Levis are 50. And I mourn for my countrymen and women that fall for this. We are becoming a nation of fad-following idiots.

Then same thing for beer. Here, I must confess some guilt as I do buy more expensive beer. Usually on the basis of taste, though, and not because a beer is fashionable. But again, there are hundreds of small companies popping up thinking that they will be "the one" company that will be successful charging 14 bucks a 600ml bottle of their unique (zucchini! avocado! raspberry! all organic! no GMOs!) beer. These beers usually have edgy names ("Sniveling Cur", "Pregnant Hippotamus", etc) which apparently is enough for some people. Sheesh.

The point is, I look at this Jones bike and fail to see much difference between it and a Walmart BSO. I suspect that its better made and WORKS better than a BSO, but you can find a lot of bikes, for a lot cheaper than 1800 bucks, that work better than a BSO. Perhaps I'm missing something. Is 1800 bucks a good price point for a 4130 frame (please spare me any haranguing about how Jones has come up with quantum leap in making 4130 frames) with tektro components?

I mean, this may be a great bike, but it seems like an overpriced also-ran to me. I mean, I have to agree with
Originally Posted by Cl904
It’s a rigid mtb with disks and a modern 1x drivetrain. What am I missing here?
Correct me if I'm wrong, though!

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 09-04-18 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-04-18, 07:19 AM
Cl904

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
When I walk through the mall one of the things I am struck by and find bizarre is the number of stores popping up that are obviously trying to find a super-high-end niche. So they want you to pay 300 dollars for their jeans when Levis are 50.
Agree on the bike stuff... but $50 levis aren’t “levis”, they are jso (jean shaped objects) produced in third world countries. I stick with the Japanese brands that make repros of what levis made in the 40s-60s, which can climb above 200 retail. Worth it if you’ve ever had a pair of real vintage denim.
Old 09-04-18, 07:30 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Agree on the bike stuff... but $50 levis aren’t “levis”, they are jso (jean shaped objects) produced in third world countries. I stick with the Japanese brands that make repros of what levis made in the 40s-60s, which can climb above 200 retail. Worth it if you’ve ever had a pair of real vintage denim.
Thanks, but the concept of me looking good (or needing to look good to "attract chicks"*) in a pair of jeans went the way of the dinosaur about 5 or 10 years ago. Sigh. As an aside, on my last Levi's trip, I bought three pairs, all of which fit to a degree, and all of which had different waist sizes. Three different sizes, depending upon model. Yoiks.

I don't have a problem with folks paying more to get something they value. What I have a problem with is folks (to use your analogy) trying to sell malaysian-made JSOs for 300 bucks on the basis that it's their new, "cool" brand.

*Today is our 36th anniversary
Old 09-04-18, 07:37 AM
Cl904

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Thanks, but the concept of me looking good (or needing to look good to "attract chicks"*) in a pair of jeans went the way of the dinosaur about 5 or 10 years ago. Sigh. As an aside, on my last Levi's trip, I bought three pairs, all of which fit to a degree, and all of which had different waist sizes. Three different sizes, depending upon model. Yoiks.

I don't have a problem with folks paying more to get something they value. What I have a problem with is folks (to use your analogy) trying to sell malaysian-made JSOs for 300 bucks on the basis that it's their new, "cool" brand.

*Today is our 36th anniversary
agreed on that. Paying for cool is always a losing venture... you end up with less money and no more cool. Myself, I find value in craftsmanship and durability.... which is probably why I also prefer lugged steel bikes.

or, I’m just a retrogrouch who likes old things...
Old 09-04-18, 08:14 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

I also prefer lugged steel bikes. or, I’m just a retrogrouch who likes old things...
I worked in a machine shop and a bike shop in Racine Wi, when I was a kid. Some of the lugged paramounts were made in Racine. I've a respect for the lugwork and expert brazing from that era. Artwork.

For many years I had a Paramount. It was improperly sized (long story) and so I sold it. I'm now running a CF (Trek Domane 6) and a I just retromodded an 853 LeMond Zurich (now with 11spd Ultegra R8000). If I could find a properly-sized paramount (or possibly a lugged 531 Cinelli from the same era) my stable would be complete. But I'd have to spend 200 bucks on a pair of Detto Pietros and cleats!
Old 09-04-18, 09:14 AM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looked at these when Jones announced them. Took a look at the price/specs and choked. $1800 will get you a MUCH nicer bike just about anywhere else. Granted the geometry is different and of course they come equipped with Jones' loop bars but that's quite the premium for those two features. With those specs, this would be a ~$1000 bike anywhere else.

On a different note, anybody else find it ironic how the two most well-known frame designers in modern day, Jones and Peterson, talk about "the bike for the everyday person" and not just the pure cyclist but their prices are such that only very specialized persons would buy their products? Not to say that a commuter or utilitarian bike cannot be high end, just that they are charging a crazy premium on their welded frames. I get it that handmade frames will be expensive irregardless of manufacturer but with both moving to welded frames from China I would have thought that their prices would come down to reflect their philosophies more.

Jones = $1800
Rivendell = $900 for their least expensive frameset
Old 09-04-18, 09:18 AM
Cl904

Originally Posted by zze86
Looked at these when Jones announced them. Took a look at the price/specs and choked. $1800 will get you a MUCH nicer bike just about anywhere else. Granted the geometry is different and of course they come equipped with Jones' loop bars but that's quite the premium for those two features. With those specs, this would be a ~$1000 bike anywhere else.

On a different note, anybody else find it ironic how the two most well-known frame designers in modern day, Jones and Peterson, talk about "the bike for the everyday person" and not just the pure cyclist but their prices are such that only very specialized persons would buy their products? Not to say that a commuter or utilitarian bike cannot be high end, just that they are charging a crazy premium on their welded frames. I get it that handmade frames will be expensive irregardless of manufacturer but with both moving to welded frames from China I would have thought that their prices would come down to reflect their philosophies more.

Jones = $1800
Rivendell = $900 for their least expensive frameset
Both are luxury products, especially Rivendell. For the price of one Rivendell you can get a 80s mtb with a full
chromo frame and an old lugged road bike that will
fit wider tires, and have enough left over to thoroughly modernize both.... leaving You with 2 rivendells!
Old 09-04-18, 09:19 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Ehh, for a few hundred more, the Priority 600 is much closer to a real "do it all" bike, with far better gear range and much longer lasting drivetrain w/no maintenance. At least with the 600, you know where your money is going (Pinion gearbox).
Old 09-04-18, 09:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Ehh, for a few hundred more, the Priority 600 is much closer to a real "do it all" bike, with far better gear range and much longer lasting drivetrain w/no maintenance. At least with the 600, you know where your money is going (Pinion gearbox).

Do you actually have one? How does it ride?

If something does go wrong with the gear box, it it serviceable or do you have to replace it?
Old 09-04-18, 09:48 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Do you actually have one? How does it ride?

If something does go wrong with the gear box, it it serviceable or do you have to replace it?
Not yet, though I think it's gonna be the next addition to my stable, probably next year. Been thinking about taking a trip to NYC to look at and ride one before committing, since I'm only about a 90 minute drive from the city.

The gearbox is completely sealed, as in weather and water proof, and the casing is held together with torque-to-yield bolts, similar to an automotive cylinder head. The gearbox has more in common with an automotive manual gearbox than a bike drivetrain, and was designed by Porsche automotive engineers, so while I'm sure it's possible to take it apart and service it, it would require skills not necessarily common among bike mechanics. The gearbox is also designed to stay sealed with no maintenance except for changing the oil in it (about one cup of oil) once a year or every 6,000 miles, whichever comes first. The gearbox comes with a 5 year warranty.

edit; here's a very recent review from KevCentral on youtube, about the 600:

The design of the Pinion gearbox lends itself to extremely long service life, especially compared to chain-based drive systems.

Last edited by General Geoff; 09-04-18 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-04-18, 09:52 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Adding to the chorus, ask yourself if you'd pay $1,800 for a no-name 4130 frame with a rigid unicrown fork, base model 1x10, mechanical brakes and house brand everything else. For me, no thanks. You're paying for the sticker on the downtube, which is strange because no one outside of true bike nerds would have heard of Jones in the first place. If I were looking for "practical", it can be found for a fraction of that price. Note that I actually like the bike's design, unlike some here.

Also, the Jones Ti Spaceframe with a truss fork is all kinds of awesome (and it should be for that price).
Old 09-04-18, 09:58 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Might as well hear from someone who is actually using one. Makes a change in these kinds of 'debates'.

Bike Snob NYC: This Just In: Test Bike Revealed!
Bike Snob NYC: Reasonably Priced Chubby-Tired Bicycle Shootout!
Old 09-04-18, 10:15 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
IMO this $1800 Jones bike should be compared to the Surly ECR or the Trek 1200. The distinguishing feature is 29x3 tires.

Having said that, I think the gear range is too limited (1 x 11-42). Wish they'd spec'ed the basic Deore touring triple crank.
Old 09-04-18, 10:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What then are some alternatives that I can swap Jones bars ?
Forty Two... Any thing you like, it's just a variety of MTB Bar ..

Glad you have done well and have $1,799.00 in your hands,
to drop on a new bike..

Or are you on the hamster wheel of indecision, with no end in sight.. ??

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-04-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-04-18, 11:17 AM
Maelochs

Basically ... it is a boutique bike built up with low-end components offered at almost a competitive price.

Maybe some folks love it ... great. The world is full of different kinds fo people. I have heard there are men who like having their dangling modifiers stabbed with stiletto heels. Doesn't mean it is good, or that it is suited for general consumption.

To me .. . someone who is going to lay out the bucks for a handmade frame ought to spend the rest of the cash needed to build a really nice bike.

The bike is what it is ... and all the claims about it are belied by the actual bike.

Nothing wrong with the bike, but all it is is what it is.
Old 09-04-18, 04:07 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I'm more impressed with his bike handling skills than I am with the bike. I guess I'm too easy to please as I'd rather have a Giant Toughroad and pocket the difference in cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.