Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Amtrak & Bikes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Amtrak & Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 01:36 PM
bisonbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Amtrak & Bikes

Someone please share their Amtrak bike hacks! I’m writing a thread because there is astonishingly little online about this.

Aside from those few lines with bicycle racks such as Milwaukee to Chicago or, as I hear it, some northeast lines, travel I’ve made from Chicago to Champaign and Chicago to Austin made me pay for special bicycle accommodation beyond my checked baggage allowance (an allowance I didn’t use since I don’t have checked bags) yet provided zero special bicycle accommodation. They simply put my bicycle inside a huge luggage storage room under a coach passenger car. It’s not even sealed. Bike is caked with packed, drifted snow when I go places in the winter. The room is filthy. But I don’t like to fly using soft shell bike cases or disassembling. Even if you do it perfectly, inevitable and perfunctory TSA inspections leave the bike prone to damage when they don’t replace it correctly afterwards.

I bought an EVOC bicycle rug and a Saris The Boss foldable bicycle stand and installed adhesive rubber grips on the bottom of that stand. As directed I set the bike in this bare storage room facing the direction of travel. It wasn’t enough. At a stop I asked to see it and the bike had fallen down from train rocking at “high speeds.” I will inspect for damage when I arrive in Austin. When I confronted an Amtrak employee about the lack of accommodation despite Amtrak’s site saying otherwise, they seemed all well aware and propped up luggage against the bicycle to keep it upright, but that luggage will come and go as its owners deboard. There appears to be absolutely no attachment object (like an handle or rod) anywhere in the room for attaching a bungee to the bicycle to secure it upright inside the car.

I believe there may be bicycle racks inside proper luggage cars. But they’ve disappeared along with the observation cars, Amtrak employee dorm cars, and paid dining for coach passengers, all since the pandemic. Smells like MBAs working hard to destroy another company and general happiness in this world. Employees tell me they are in charge of multiple cars now when it used to only be one, have to sleep with passengers, take on several more specialized jobs with required training but without extra pay, half a dozen other shocking things, and are generally treated poorly since the pandemic.

Essentially Amtrak treats your bike like a piece of ratty old luggage while charging you for special bicycle racks that they choose to not make available anymore. I filed a complaint hoping for my $40 bicycle charge to be refunded. Their website provides confusing, opaque, and as several Amtrak employees admitted, straight up incorrect information for bicycle accommodations.

If you’ve found an elegant way to make Amtrak travel with a bike easy please share. I think we all need to complain not only to Amtrak but to authorities. It would be so incredibly easy for Amtrak to bolt a few bike hooks inside that room just to hook front wheels to. Easy bicycle accommodation aboard trains without disassembly could be a great way to entice people away from planes. Trains depart from downtown near wherever I am, and arrive downtown near wherever I’m going, unlike planes which need huge land and are far from downtown, requiring taxi transport and more hassle to connect to airports. it’s very satisfying to bike to the station, train to the destination, then deboard and ride to the destination all without needing to ask anyone for a ride or ensure I don’t bring my bike on CTA in rush hours, etc.

As for me, on my return leg I think I’ll rig a couple cheap rods to my bike stand with elastic bands from my Pirellis to stabilize it from rocking via a wider footprint, leaving them aboard once I arrive if need be. Better ideas please!

Last edited by bisonbike; 04-19-24 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-24-24, 03:56 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by bisonbike
If you’ve found an elegant way to make Amtrak travel with a bike easy please share.
Folding bike.
Likes For tcs:
Old 04-25-24, 02:47 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Folding bike.
Beat me to it. Amtrak regs says can go in normal luggage racks in passenger car, no bike fee. I could have stood it up if needed, I'd brought a big black garbage bag in case of that (bifold bike, drivetrain on outside of fold). This bike is capable of touring, but a more bulky fold than what I consider a "frequent folder" like a Brompton.

Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 04-25-24, 08:27 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,064 Posts
You mention traveling from Chicago to Austin. Hmm. Hey, everything is cool and all, but not really Commuting.

There was a loooooong thread on Amtrak in the Touring forum that has lots of practical suggestions and information.
Old 04-29-24, 08:09 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: Terry Susan B., '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, 'Lectric Lite folding bike, beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
So jealous of those of you with a Brompton. I had a heavy Schwinn Loop for a little bit but it really defeated the purpose. These fold up so small!!
Old 04-30-24, 12:31 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by jaxy357
So jealous of those of you with a Brompton. I had a heavy Schwinn Loop for a little bit but it really defeated the purpose. These fold up so small!!
A friend of mine bought a Loop in 2014 or 2015 for a little over $100 new on amazon, I went over it fully and adjusted everything. He used it for years to go daily to and from where he parked for work, it lived in his car trunk. One ride where it was steeper he complained about the gearing being too high, yep, I eventually put a 2X crank on my Dahon for that reason. Prices of the Loop went to over $400 during the pandemic. It is heavy. The low stepover frame would have been nice for a friend of mind rehabbing their knee, but they would also need lower gearing.

There's no denying the greatness of the Brompton for frequent folders and multimode commutes. If I'm ever inclined to visit Asia I might buy a clone for 1/3 the price for city rides and bring back home with me.
Old 04-30-24, 08:29 AM
bisonbike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rod bikes

I think folding bikes are great but not for the fast kind of riding I do on a road bike, which is the kind of bike I’m looking for solutions for on the train.
Likes For bisonbike:
Old 04-30-24, 09:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,220 Posts
I think folding bikes are great but not for the fast kind of riding I do on a road bike, which is the kind of bike I’m looking for solutions for on the train.
Just out of curiosity, how long is this commute of yours?
Old 04-30-24, 09:39 AM
bisonbike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Just out of curiosity, how long is this commute of yours?
It’s not a commute, it’s travel. Like I said in the post I’m taking a train from Chicago to Austin, Texas and back. That’s 28 hours each way.
Old 04-30-24, 10:09 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 382 Posts
If you want a folder as fast as your road bike, look at the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro. Some folks are getting their builds down to around 16# and the ETRO451 wheels roll great. Packs up into a suitcase that you can bring onto Amtrak and not worry about the bike being damaged.

I have a Pocket Rocket and it feels like a good, steel 700c bike.

​​​
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 04-30-24, 10:46 AM
bisonbike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by john m flores
If you want a folder as fast as your road bike, look at the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro. Some folks are getting their builds down to around 16# and the ETRO451 wheels roll great. Packs up into a suitcase that you can bring onto Amtrak and not worry about the bike being damaged.

I have a Pocket Rocket and it feels like a good, steel 700c bike.

​​​
Thanks that’s good info. But in my case I don’t want a new bike. I want to travel with my bike and know the best way to do that in the inconsiderate cargo hold of an Amtrak
Old 04-30-24, 10:51 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 382 Posts
Thanks that’s good info. But in my case I don’t want a new bike. I want to travel with my bike and know the best way to do that in the inconsiderate cargo hold of an Amtrak
Sounds like the only way you can keep it safe is put it in a large cardboard box. Get one of those boxes used for 72" televisions and the crew will treat it with kid gloves.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 04-30-24, 10:55 AM
bisonbike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the replies. Maybe my original post is too long to read all of but I don’t want to disassemble the bike. I’m searching for the most simple and elegant way of making this happen. The bike is protected with the EVOC bike rug and stands with the foldable Saris Boss stand. I have purchased a kryptoflex cable which I’ll lock around the first aid kit this time somehow, so the bike doesn’t topple. This kryptoflex may have been what I was missing, unless there’s nowhere to attach it.
Old 04-30-24, 12:13 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,220 Posts
It’s not a commute, it’s travel. Like I said in the post I’m taking a train from Chicago to Austin, Texas and back. That’s 28 hours each way.
This might be addressed better in the Touring section than Commuting.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-30-24, 12:26 PM
bisonbike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
This might be addressed better in the Touring section than Commuting.
Indeed! Thanks! I’m new to the forum. Perhaps someone could relocate this thread?
Old 04-30-24, 12:32 PM
Duragrouch

ANY bike can go in the baggage car of Amtrak, for nominal charge of $10 per time it is loaded. It should not be boxed, they hang the bike against the wall by the front wheel just like a bike shop does for space. The reason you would want a folder is:
- frequent or daily off and on the train, it saves the $10 each time.
- small train stations do not load bikes in the baggage car. You might be able to get an attendent to grab your bike or luggage before disembarking at a small station, but don't expect it to get back on there.
- (MOST IMPORTANT BASED ON THE ABOVE): Under Amtrak regulations, it is *specifically stated* that folders can go in the baggage racks in the passenger cars.
- There are tons of folders that are FAST. While a Brompton has a fast and very compact fold, due to the small (349) wheel size, it may not offer the feel you desire. But a folder based on 406 wheels (wide variety of tires available, skinny to fat), and most especially 451 wheels (larger rims but about same outside outside diameter as 406 with fatter tires, but 451 tires are skinny and racy), I am sure that riding one of those will feel sporty and light like a quality road race bike.
- You don't need to buy new, especially with Bike Friday, they've been around long enough that there are tons on the used market, search on craigslist in bikes, <Bike Friday>. The New World Tourist is on 406 wheels and set up for racks and touring, not what you want. But the Pocket Rocket Pro (if on 451, BF will build a bike any way you want) will be set up for fast riding, no racks. I would only say be cautious, as for a time, lots of Bike Fridays came with the SRAM 3x7 or 3x8 with rear derailleur and internal hub gear with a 1X crank and no front derailleur hanger; That is heavier and less sporty in my opinion, and you'd want the internal hub gear to be serviced and lubed before a long trip. But a Pocket Rocket Pro with 2X or 3X crank you would like. Having said that, ALL Bike Fridays are a bit messier fold, and require slight disassembly, as the handlebar post comes out, does not fold. Based on this...
- I would recommend one of the higher-end Dahon (Mu) or Tern (X series) folders, both having a lightweight hydroformed frame and on 451 wheels. The fold is clean and neat, and fast. However, you still want to avoid any internal hub gear. So you need to make sure that a) with only a 1X crank, you have the complete gearing range that you need, or b) that it has a 2X crank or can be fit for one; The biggest problem there is that both Dahon and Tern use a really fat seat post and thus seat tube, and no band-clamp style front derailleurs fit that (I think 40mm diameter?). They make adaptors to mount a road style front derailleur, I have done that on my Dahon for a 2X crank (50/34, almost as much range as old 3X cranks). Increasingly, some brands of folders come with a "braze-on" for a front derailleur. Dahons and Terns are also commonly available used on craigslist.
- For either Dahon or Tern "bifold" frames (fold in half), the drivetrain (chain, derailleurs) are on the outside of the fold (unlike a Brompton), so you'll want to bring a lightweight bag to put the bike in when on the luggage racks, to not get any oil on anything else. No padding needed, just a zipper bag that will fit the bike.

Just trying to help. Please digest the above, let us know your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-30-24 at 12:40 PM.
Likes For Duragrouch: