Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any reason not to easy off this crank?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Any reason not to easy off this crank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-21, 01:38 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
If I recall those 105 cranks above weren't anodized, and was not a relevant reply to the question of removal of the ano.
Ah, but you can turn them into 600 cranks with a polish and some new decals, most people wouldn't know the difference
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 09-12-21, 07:07 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by NDL
Thanks for the info, I wonder why on some other threads I read once you sand and polished up the crank, you will have to repolish it every couple of the months or it will look really bad.
I've got some early 80's Dura-Ace stuff that doesn't stay nice and polished for very long, probably a couple of months? It's not too difficult to get it back to looking tip top though.

Most of my Campy and Cinelli stuff only really requires an annual polish, and that's me being pedantic.
Old 09-13-21, 01:59 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg

ThermionicScott easyupbug I agree with hazetguy about digging up ZOMBIE THREADS

My objections are for practical reasons: Many of those old posts have multiple pages and it's frequently a waste of time to drill down to find the message or messages relative to the new additions.

Starting a new thread brings fresh ideas and people into the loop and it's easier for new BF members to quickly find solutions rather than digging through all the old stuff that may have been frequently side tracked or hijacked.

easyupbug There's not much in the way of published protocols on BF, we're mostly a polite and self monitoring group.

BITD on the old rec.bicycles.tech newsgroup and other forums, one could find themselves mercilessly FLAMED for bringing up Zombie Threads.

BTW, Google is a good place to search for BF information because it not only lists topics but also the time line so there's no guessing about Zombie Threads.

In closing, that polished 105 crank looks really nice... But start a new thread. You can always put a ling in for a old thread or message.

verktyg
If not resurrecting old threads is the generally accepted practice for Bikeforums (I am still of the opinion that an old thread should be resurrected, to correct/add to old info and since they are often what is shown at the top of Google search results) then the admins should auto-lock old threads. I doubt there's enough will (or ire, in the case of certain members) to do that. I am as guilty as misplaced anger as anyone else, but we should just learn to live with it and not disparage folks when they commit this "faux pas".
Old 09-14-21, 03:35 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Well I think it fine. Not so much here, but on other forums, new posters will get raked over the coals for straying over into FAQ teritory with out doing theit own research first.
If i was writting an etiquette book, I might suggest that unknowingly responding to a zombie is a minor breach, and the first person to call out the zombie thread is doing a service to the community, alerting everyone to the temporal disconnect. Cudos. Further discussion of the threads pedegree is borish. Just saying...
Likes For bark_eater: