Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

M7 X 1 18 mm Screws for handle bars

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-23, 06:20 PM
geneg

Bikes: Cannondale BadBoy 2001, BadBoy Ultra 2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where can I find M7 X 1 18 mm Screws for handle bars. All screws they sell are 20 mm. Cut to size?
Old 11-08-23, 07:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
2mm is too little to cut off. If you have access to a bench grinder or belt sander, grind it down. Or file it.

Either way finish with a 45 degree chamfer to remove any burrs.

OTOH I doubt the maker works that close, so there's a good chance you don't have to do anything. Or probably can use a washer under the head.
Old 11-09-23, 02:42 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
Thread a couple of nuts on the 20mm bolt, leaving the excess threads exposed.
Grind off the unneeded threads & file smooth a chamfered end.
spray some thin oil on to the screws threads & Slowly work one of the nuts completely off. Wipe the threads down with a clean rag & remove the remaining nut.
Otherwise go to a small fab shop & ask for the custom hardware to be made.
Old 11-09-23, 05:14 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
What makes you think a manufacturer gets special 18mm bolts made?
Old 11-09-23, 07:13 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
What makes you think a manufacturer gets special 18mm bolts made?
Possibly because he measured one.

In any case, there's no economic or other barrier to special length bolts in the volume that component makers would buy them. In fact, much of the hardware used on bikes is special or non-standard in some way or another.

As long as threads are standard, the minimum quantities for specials is surprisingly small.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-09-23, 10:43 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I buy a regular supply of metric screws in bulk and I have never seen a supplier offer any L = 18mm.

It steps in 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 25, and onwards in increments of +5mm.

Weird lengths may be original parts from the bike manufacterer, might be able to find that length from those pretty aftermarket titanium colored bolts.

And verify that it's really M7. That's an uncommon metric fastener, I've only seen it used for seatposts and barrel adjusters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
titanium-screws.jpg (33.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 11-12-23, 06:49 PM
geneg

Bikes: Cannondale BadBoy 2001, BadBoy Ultra 2005

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys for your suggwestions. I used my dremel to cut bolts to the right length. It took some time and several cutting disks because they were titanium bolts. And they are M7x1mm for my Cannondale BadBoy '01 stem.
Old 11-13-23, 12:36 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
Originally Posted by geneg
Thank you guys for your suggwestions. I used my dremel to cut bolts to the right length. It took some time and several cutting disks because they were titanium bolts. And they are M7x1mm for my Cannondale BadBoy '01 stem.
personally, I'd went straight to a 4.5" cut-off wheel & maybe consider the rotary tool to "finish" the job.
Those tiny discs are just too fragile to do work on averaged thick metal materials.
Old 11-16-23, 09:15 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I buy a regular supply of metric screws in bulk and I have never seen a supplier offer any L = 18mm.

It steps in 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 25, and onwards in increments of +5mm.

Weird lengths may be original parts from the bike manufacterer, might be able to find that length from those pretty aftermarket titanium colored bolts.

And verify that it's really M7. That's an uncommon metric fastener, I've only seen it used for seatposts and barrel adjusters.
Erm...https://www.mcmaster.com/products/sc.../length~18-mm/

While uncommon, I've seen a few stems with M7 fasteners. Look hard enough and you'll find all sorts of odd fasteners/threads used on bikes. 15 mm thru axles have to take the cake, though. I've seen (so far): M15x1.5, M15x1, M14x2, M14x1.5, M12x1.5, and 9/16"-24. 'Standards' FTW!
Old 11-16-23, 10:21 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I can tell you don't buy screws in bulk like I do.

Firstly, Mcmaster-Carr sells *everything* including weird stuff. Just because they have it in stock, doesn't make it common.

Secondly, they are very expensive to buy in quantity. Great for DIY, not so great for volume resellers like me.

Thirdly, I looked at their typical list of M5 and M6 allen key screws that I would use to service my bikes and still they only have one or two choices for 18mm.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/sc...rement~metric/
Old 11-16-23, 10:54 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I can tell you don't buy screws in bulk like I do.

Firstly, Mcmaster-Carr sells *everything* including weird stuff. Just because they have it in stock, doesn't make it common.

Secondly, they are very expensive to buy in quantity. Great for DIY, not so great for volume resellers like me.

Thirdly, I looked at their typical list of M5 and M6 allen key screws that I would use to service my bikes and still they only have one or two choices for 18mm.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/sc...rement~metric/
I mean, if we're bragging about buying bulk metric fasteners, I've been doing it since roughly 2001. Most of what I buy these days is custom made for me but I still buy far more standard hardware than the average Joe. Not that it matters at all in this discussion. My point was simply that 18 mm is not some super rare length for a metric screw. McMaster doesn't make anything (pretty sure you know this). They buy bulk fasteners, packaged in smaller quantities, from someone so someone out there is making and selling a bunch of 18 mm length screws. As far as being 'common', your original statement was 'I have never seen a supplier offer any L = 18mm'. Well, now you have

As for price, yeah, McMaster stinks if your plan is to resell. If you need something for a project/prototype and need it tomorrow, and maybe along with a bunch of other odds and ends, they are a great one-stop shop. Many bulk fastener places won't even talk to you about ordering less than 1000 pieces of something and may take 2 weeks to deliver. For the guy who needs <10, and soon, that's a non-starter regarding of the piece price. Someone looking for a set of stem screws probably falls into the latter category.
Likes For joejack951: