Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Early morning breakfast?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Early morning breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 09:27 PM
derath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early morning breakfast?

Hey all,

Sorry no search.

I have my first Organized Metric Century of the season this saturday. In order to get there by the start time I have to leave fairly early, about 4:30-5:00am.

I am a little more nervous about this ride than usual, since I have been mostly off the bike for the last 8 weeks. So I want to make sure at least I fill my body up the best I can. Planning on eating a good spaghetti dinner friday night. BUt I want to get something to eat before I ride.

I will probably have a 2 hour drive, and will get up and go. It will be hard enough to get up in time to leave, much less cook up a nice breakfast.

So what do you all do? I was thinking maybe protein shake and clif bar or something, but dunno if that will be enough.

-D
Old 06-08-06, 09:34 PM
Goldnblazer

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll w/ 10 speed SRAM, Origon8 SS, Bianchi Parco 3speed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually just have a bowl of cereal and a banana before the ride. The organized rides will have items such as bananas, cookies and some have trail mix at the rest stops and they will usually have gatorade along with water. I make sure that I have something at each stop and have had no problems making it through the rides.
Old 06-08-06, 09:36 PM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldnblazer
I usually just have a bowl of cereal and a banana before the ride. The organized rides will have items such as bananas, cookies and some have trail mix at the rest stops and they will usually have gatorade along with water. I make sure that I have something at each stop and have had no problems making it through the rides.

Yea I know they will have food there as well. But I like to have some digested a bit before I get there.

You are right though. I am thinking about when I ride solo. On these rides I just need enough food to get started. The stops will have plenty to keep me going.

-D
Old 06-08-06, 09:43 PM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like to stop at denny's when i have to drive to centuries.... we stop with about 1 hour left before ride time... and i ALWAYS get their fruit pancake breakfast: a pancake filled with sugary pie filling... i always get cherry.... bacon... scrambled eggs.. and hashbrowns... it gives me carbs.... fat... protein.. oh.. and sugar! lol!

we usually have to leave around 3 or 3:30 (or earlier) to get to our rides....

you could get away with doing a bowl of oatmeal at home with a 2 hour drive.. as long as you eat right before you leave.. and take a clif bar or something to eat once you get there... before you leave.. otherwise you might be hungry before the first rest stop!

if you don't stop... i really suggest the oatmeal... it's fairly quick and sticks with you!
Old 06-08-06, 09:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Take a bannana and something like a bar or muffin in the car with you.
Old 06-08-06, 09:59 PM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caligurl
i like to stop at denny's when i have to drive to centuries.... we stop with about 1 hour left before ride time... and i ALWAYS get their fruit pancake breakfast: a pancake filled with sugary pie filling... i always get cherry.... bacon... scrambled eggs.. and hashbrowns... it gives me carbs.... fat... protein.. oh.. and sugar! lol!

we usually have to leave around 3 or 3:30 (or earlier) to get to our rides....

you could get away with doing a bowl of oatmeal at home with a 2 hour drive.. as long as you eat right before you leave.. and take a clif bar or something to eat once you get there... before you leave.. otherwise you might be hungry before the first rest stop!

if you don't stop... i really suggest the oatmeal... it's fairly quick and sticks with you!

Yea oatmeal would be my first choice. But it takes too long for my needs and is too noisy. I want to get up and leave. My wife is being nice enough as it is to let me go with a 3 yr old and 7 week old to deal with. Last thing I need is to make noise and wake her up making breakfast.

Dennys sounds good though
Old 06-08-06, 10:18 PM
astrodaimler
Remember Wool Shorts?

Bikes: Gios Torino, Lemond Zurich, Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Carl's breakfast burger if they are open early enough.
Old 06-09-06, 06:46 AM
bluecd
synapses firing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
couple egg mcmuffins and a medium coke from macdonalds works for me.
Old 06-09-06, 07:03 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
100 km isn't that big of a deal, unless you're talking about a very hilly 100km.

either scarf down a bowl of cereal, or grab a bagel & an egg-n-cheese sandwhich for the drive at dunkin' donuts, or something similar

Originally Posted by derath
Hey all,

Sorry no search.

I have my first Organized Metric Century of the season this saturday. In order to get there by the start time I have to leave fairly early, about 4:30-5:00am.

I am a little more nervous about this ride than usual, since I have been mostly off the bike for the last 8 weeks. So I want to make sure at least I fill my body up the best I can. Planning on eating a good spaghetti dinner friday night. BUt I want to get something to eat before I ride.

I will probably have a 2 hour drive, and will get up and go. It will be hard enough to get up in time to leave, much less cook up a nice breakfast.

So what do you all do? I was thinking maybe protein shake and clif bar or something, but dunno if that will be enough.

-D
Old 06-09-06, 07:06 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold oatmeal. Take rolled oats and mix with milk. Add some raisins, chopped fruit (prepared the night before) and yoghurt for instant muesli. Glorious. I live on it all summer round, and then I switch to cooked oatmeal for the winter. If you use the slow-cook oatmeal you can even mix it the night before, but don't try that with the quick-cook stuff because it goes all squidgy.

Or instant oatmeal. Put two packets in a bowl with water and put in the microwave for the right amount of seconds, being careful to take it out before the wake-up "ping". Rinse bowl quietly when you are done and place in dishwasher.

And take a muffin for the road. I always get hungry two hours after I eat regardless of how big my breakfast is.
Old 06-09-06, 07:07 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Whatever you eat, make sure it's something you've eaten before a long ride before.
Old 06-09-06, 07:54 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Boudicca
Cold oatmeal. Take rolled oats and mix with milk.
That's what I used to eat before a race, but with some honey mixed in. My theory was that if it was good for a horse, it was good for me Also some other lame theory that it would digest slower. I never bonked in a race at least
Old 06-09-06, 09:04 AM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for a metric.... i agree about the oatmeal... but NOT instant... pooy! that stuff's loaded with sugar! gotta have the non-instant that you cook! what you can do is cook it the night before... have it in the fridge.. then just nuke it in the morning... that should be fairly quiet!

but ya... for metrics... (even hilly ones) i forego the denny's thing and do oatmeal at home! )
Old 06-09-06, 09:08 AM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya metrics aren't that big of a deal...Unless your newborn son has been keeping you and your wife so busy you haven't been able to stay riding for awhile.

Just a little nervous since I have only done about 50miles in the last 2 months.

I can't do cold oatmeal though. Dunno why, but it has to be cooked AND still not mushy.

-D
Old 06-09-06, 09:09 AM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I usually take a bagel and banana to eat in the car when I start that early. I also have orange juice and coffee.

Good luck, have a fun time!!
Old 06-09-06, 09:25 AM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by derath
Ya metrics aren't that big of a deal...Unless your newborn son has been keeping you and your wife so busy you haven't been able to stay riding for awhile.

Just a little nervous since I have only done about 50miles in the last 2 months.

I can't do cold oatmeal though. Dunno why, but it has to be cooked AND still not mushy.

-D
not saying they aren't a big deal! for me doing oatmeal vice denny's is a calorie thing! i wouldn't burn off what i ate! lol!

mcD's (or similar).... also good choices then! (i just need something more than cereal or a bagel.. if i have something like that... i'm hungry again in an hour! oatmeal "sticks" with me... as does denny's!!)

have fun!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-06, 10:54 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually do a Bagel w/Teddy all Natural Peanut Butter, Banana (maybe a second one right before the ride) and *gulp* a package of instant oatmeal . This was for a 100mile century!
Old 06-09-06, 11:10 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And there are the fruit blend smoothie drinks in the grocery stores - Bolthouse Farms and Naked Juice. Not the yogurt/gogurt things that have high fructose corn syrup, the all fruit juice things in the refrigerated cases. Banana/Strawberry is my favorite. Easy to digest, lots of carbs and vitamins, and potassium too. One will more than get you to the first rest stop.
Old 06-09-06, 11:20 AM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cromulent
And there are the fruit blend smoothie drinks in the grocery stores - Bolthouse Farms and Naked Juice. Not the yogurt/gogurt things that have high fructose corn syrup, the all fruit juice things in the refrigerated cases. Banana/Strawberry is my favorite. Easy to digest, lots of carbs and vitamins, and potassium too. One will more than get you to the first rest stop.
not me! i'd be starving by rest stop one if all i had was some drink! i need substance! lol!
Old 06-09-06, 11:29 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caligurl
not me! i'd be starving by rest stop one if all i had was some drink! i need substance! lol!
Heh. Okay, a smoothie and a bagel. That's a pretty quiet breakfast. Unless your toaster is really loud.
Old 06-09-06, 01:34 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Organized metric on Saturday. hmmmmmmm.....
Would that be the PATUXENT RIVER RURAL LEGACY RIDE?

If so, the OHBTC is good at supplying food. Last year at the first rest stop (about 12 miles in) they had a good spread of bagles, fruit, muffins, and other snacks.
Old 06-09-06, 01:47 PM
Pedal Wench

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always do a bagel and coffee on my way to morning rides. Einstein's power bagels. Sometimes with peanut butter, if it's a while before the ride starts. (And, eat it while driving - don't need to waste time!)
Old 06-09-06, 01:56 PM
slacker_express

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8, 2022 Specialized Sirrus 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually have a peanut butter (crunchy) and jelly (well, blueberry jam) on whole grain bread. That is enough to get me going and well fueled for awhile. Then I tend to have fig newtons during the ride (a little messy but I don't care).
Old 06-09-06, 03:50 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like either oatmeal or "cream of wheat" with maybe a piece of toast or two on the side depending on what I think I can keep down. A bagel with a light schmear of PB and honey (the spreadable kind if you can find it is best) works too, though I usually will quarter one or two of those and wrap each q in foil as ride food.
Old 06-09-06, 03:59 PM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
Organized metric on Saturday. hmmmmmmm.....
Would that be the PATUXENT RIVER RURAL LEGACY RIDE?

If so, the OHBTC is good at supplying food. Last year at the first rest stop (about 12 miles in) they had a good spread of bagles, fruit, muffins, and other snacks.

HEHE Yep. That is the one. You going? Any other BF members?

If so I will be getting there as close to 7am as possible. I will be on my Giant OCR C3 in my Seagull Century jersey.

And actually my breakfast got easier. Little Bennett decided not to sleep last night so the misses didn't get any sleep. So I am going to my parents with him tonight so my mom can watch her. My dad and I are riding so we will leave together in the morning, and they are at least 45 min closer. Plus my dad gets up super early so I am sure there will be a whole spread ready when I get up. BONUS.

-D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.