Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best designed cycling jersey?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 03:55 PM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a big difference between cycling jerseys these days. I've got 4: 3 short-sleeved jerseys and 1 long-sleeved one and they all have quite different design features. I'm not concerned about fit here (if it doesn't fit you why did you buy it?).

My favorite is the Giordana with a zipper pocket on the back. That's really handy for keys, ID, sometimes the cell phone. The regular rear pockets are deeper too so you never have to worry about stuff falling out. The silicone grippers on the waist and arms do their job and are a nice touch. The Giordana doesn't let the wind in at the neck so it doesn't tend to flap when you're going fast.

The Castelli was a lot cheaper and maybe you get what you pay for. It does wick very well, but the material is so thin I question how much sun UV it blocks. The 3 rear pockets are shallow so you couldn't carry e.g. a pump or anything large. It also lets a lot of wind in, even when zipped up so the shoulders tend to billow out and flap a bit.

My Pearl Izumi is an old favorite but has few outstanding features. It seems to have gotten bigger or stretched a bit over the last couple of years so it doesn't wick as well anymore.

My Cannondale windfront long-sleeve jersey is great. It has a full zip which is really nice for a tight fitting top, stretchy but not too much. Wicks well but blocks the wind well too. This one is new this year and I can think of a lot of rides in past years that I wished I had something like this Cannondale to wear.

So what are some features that you really like in a jersey?
Old 07-08-06, 04:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I can tell you a feature I can't stand: zippers that come all the way up, including the collar. I almost never ride with the collar around my neck like I'm wearing a tux, and when I have the zipper an inch down the sides fold over in weird positions.

Aside from that I like the half length zippers. The full ones tend to make the jersey flap around a lot, and the short zippers never get me enough air on a hot day.

I also like the ones with an extra long back so I don't get plumber's butt, since I don't use bibs.
Old 07-08-06, 04:27 PM
grinderbob
coffee bean grinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
simple and classic Team Z Vetements Jersey. long zipper in front, 3 pockets in the back.
Graphics and color are awesome. I have 2 short sleeves 2 long sleeves, called me obessessssssss

Originally Posted by bccycleguy
There's a big difference between cycling jerseys these days. I've got 4: 3 short-sleeved jerseys and 1 long-sleeved one and they all have quite different design features. I'm not concerned about fit here (if it doesn't fit you why did you buy it?).

My favorite is the Giordana with a zipper pocket on the back. That's really handy for keys, ID, sometimes the cell phone. The regular rear pockets are deeper too so you never have to worry about stuff falling out. The silicone grippers on the waist and arms do their job and are a nice touch. The Giordana doesn't let the wind in at the neck so it doesn't tend to flap when you're going fast.

The Castelli was a lot cheaper and maybe you get what you pay for. It does wick very well, but the material is so thin I question how much sun UV it blocks. The 3 rear pockets are shallow so you couldn't carry e.g. a pump or anything large. It also lets a lot of wind in, even when zipped up so the shoulders tend to billow out and flap a bit.

My Pearl Izumi is an old favorite but has few outstanding features. It seems to have gotten bigger or stretched a bit over the last couple of years so it doesn't wick as well anymore.

My Cannondale windfront long-sleeve jersey is great. It has a full zip which is really nice for a tight fitting top, stretchy but not too much. Wicks well but blocks the wind well too. This one is new this year and I can think of a lot of rides in past years that I wished I had something like this Cannondale to wear.

So what are some features that you really like in a jersey?
Old 07-08-06, 04:36 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raglan sleeves are great.
Old 07-08-06, 04:41 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I can tell you a feature I can't stand: zippers that come all the way up, including the collar. I almost never ride with the collar around my neck like I'm wearing a tux, and when I have the zipper an inch down the sides fold over in weird positions.
Your location identifies you as hailing from California. Some of us who live in a bit chillier climates tend to like the zippers that come all the way up. In the course of a single day (in the summer even) my temperature variation over the course of my ride can be as much 40 degrees F going from around the low 50s in the morning to the mid-80s and sometimes low 90s.
Old 07-08-06, 04:46 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

^ Yeah I figure people that live in colder climates are more happy with the long zipper. Here in the San Fernando Valley, I would ride topless if I wasn't afraid of two things: (1) crashing and tearing my skin up more than with a jersey, and (2) blinding people from seeing my ugly hairy chest.
Old 07-08-06, 04:48 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
^ Yeah I figure people that live in colder climates are more happy with the long zipper. Here in the San Fernando Valley, I would ride topless if I wasn't afraid of two things: (1) crashing and tearing my skin up more than with a jersey, and (2) blinding people from seeing my ugly hairy chest.
And let's not forget about that direct exposure to sun which has all sorts of unpleasant aftereffects.
Old 07-08-06, 04:51 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

SPF45 baby! But I will say, growing up in it with a decent base tan helps to avoid sunburn. I'm sure that doesn't help much with cancer, though. I loved Seattle when I visited there, both Winter and Summer. But the wife recommends we stay near our parents (free babysitting, less travel to visit, etc.), then we can retire to where ever we want.
Old 07-08-06, 05:01 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the zipper pockets on my Assos Unos Jerseys.

I love the Fabric of my Campagnolo Raytech jersey, as it seems to wick and transport the moisture the best. Additionally I like the cut and all the small features such as the gripper parts and the nice subtle reflective trim.

I like full zip units, and I like the pockets to have a slight elastic at top to help keep things in place.

I too have a Pearl Izumi podium that I love, alas it was scrubbed in an accident. I may remove the sleeves and make a Wife Beater out of it for hot weather rides
Old 07-08-06, 07:49 PM
mscycler
Orbea Crayola Rider

Bikes: '05 Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple of Canari jerseys that I like much better than my PI. The fit seems to be better than my other jerseys.

mscycler
Old 07-08-06, 08:56 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have a Nike "Tete de Course" shirt in wool that I like a real lot. Very retro.

bruce19
Old 07-08-06, 09:08 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'll throw descente in there. most comfortable jerseys i've ever worn.
Old 07-09-06, 11:01 AM
velorapide

Bikes: 2006 Cervélo Soloist Team, 2004 Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nalini.
Old 07-09-06, 08:06 PM
7rider

Bikes: 1999 Seven Sola, 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2005 Trek Madone 5.2 SL, 2006 Merlin Works CR 3/2.5, 2009 Kona Ute, Spot Acme, 2017 Raleigh Roker Comp, 2016 Specialized Camber Expert 29

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fabricwise, my favorite is the Giordana double layer. Feels great against the skins and breathes very well.
Old 07-09-06, 08:29 PM
8bit
duh-river foe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like anybody who makes a womens' XS jersey, preferably with long sleeves. The first XS I got totally spoiled me- it didn't balloon and flap, and my race numbers actually stayed where they should be. Unfortunately, it's hard to get XS in stores and a shocking number of the girly jerseys are the ugly-please-give-me-skin-cancer sleeveless type.
Old 07-09-06, 08:45 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Voler is great stuff. They do our team uni. LOVE their skinsuit.

Rich Hincapie also makes some decent stuff.

It's all personal preference, though. Some bodies need different fits.

I want a short-sleeve jersey with SUPER DEEP pockets for use in the spring-fall when I need to stow my outer layers.
Old 07-09-06, 10:29 PM
fruitless
In Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velorapide
Nalini.
hands down my favorite too, I want all my tops to be Nalini now

https://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PAFA.html