Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you commute at a relaxed pace or go for speed?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you commute at a relaxed pace or go for speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 02:18 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I can practically guarantee you that they can't and aren't maintaining 25mph unless they're referring to a slight downhill section of their commute.
riding 25 mph is a herculean feat that requires a bike fit, spin class, power meter, training schedule, and booties that match your kit.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 02-03-15 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 02:29 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
Never been passed back, and I think the day I am I'll be making a new riding buddy
I was passed recently by someone who did very well at CMWC. They blew by me on the Hawthorne ramp and then did a 2 foot bunny hop to reinforce my humiliation. Loved it.
Old 02-03-15, 02:32 PM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Speed never plays a role in my commute unless I find myself riding home with friends that work and commute in the same area; things can get a little "racy" with them. I choose to ride a heavy, bomb proof bike that'll get me to my destination without worry, and it's always loaded with clothes and things. At 48 miles round trip, if I tried to go out and kill it on every ride, my legs would be shot, and I'd get sick of the grind really quick. Because of the distance I ride, I'm good for 2 days at a minimum, with a goal of 3 days per week. I sprinkle in mountain biking on my non-commute days to keep things exciting, and those are the days that I go out and bust a lung. I also make an honest attempt to be car light, so on my days off, I also grocery shop and run errands on my longtail. A speedy commute pace could potentially derail my entire week of enjoyable cycling. All that said, being buzzed by fellow cyclists while commuting can get my juices flowing....lol, but that's a whole different thread that's been done.....
Old 02-03-15, 02:43 PM
tougher

Bikes: Canyon Inflite AL 8.0s (s for commuter edition), Trek Madone 3.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it's always a race against time
In 2014 my avg. speed was 15 mph. That includes waiting-time at red lights and other slow downs. I'm a lot slower in the morning, because I'm sleepy and almost always got headwind to work.
Old 02-03-15, 02:45 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, both, all of the above. After 15+ years it really isn't a thing I think about or plan or track. It just depends on the day, which bike, the weather, how I feel, how much other riding I've been doing, and whatever else I've got going on before or after work. Sometimes I feel like or need to burn it up, other times I just want to cruise and recover and enjoy the ride.

Mostly it's my average pace, pretty quick, not super fast. I have to decide to ride slow or fast and mostly I just ride. There is that sweet spot which is about 75% effort that I can maintain all day long that's it, my natural pace for that day.
Old 02-03-15, 02:54 PM
AlTheKiller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I generally go pretty at a fast pace (for my abilities at least ). Not balls to the wall, but I try and keep up pretty fast. However I just started building up my beater/bar bike and I've been riding that. I find I'm more likely to take it a bit easier than on my fast CX commuter, and it barely takes any longer on my 3 mile commute. So, I'll have to remember to just keep it in a lower gear and spin easily more often and enjoy the sights.
Old 02-03-15, 08:54 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I'm sitting upright on a 30-something pound city bike. I just want to get where I'm going and enjoy the ride. I accomplish both. Probably average about 12 mph I'd guess. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, almost anything.

Occasionally I'll throw on some kit and hop on a road bike and then I'm pushing it which for me these days is lower 20's for an hour or so.
Old 02-03-15, 09:02 PM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
riding 25 mph is a herculean feat that requires a bike fit, spin class, power meter, training schedule, and booties that match your kit.
Not really. When I was racing a 25 mile individual time trial on the road of over an hour was rather poor. Most came in under an hour. It certainly wasn't herculean. And this was before bike fits, spin classes, power meters (or cell phones), training schedules, or matching booties. The masters guys I ride with occasionally will do 50 mile training rides in well under 2 hours (not a no-drop ride, I get dropped).
Old 02-03-15, 10:10 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Not really. When I was racing a 25 mile individual time trial on the road of over an hour was rather poor.
UNPOSSIBLE!!!

PS: i thought that the booties comment and the rolling eyes would make it clear i was being sarcastic. (on the commuting forums 25 mph is a speed only cancellara could maintain)

Last edited by spare_wheel; 02-03-15 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 10:47 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,082 Posts
Depends. Living room to desk is 9 minutes if I poke along and 8 minutes if I push as hard as I can, plus or minus a minute based on the traffic light. So, if I leave before 7:50, I poke along, and if I leave after 7:52 I rush. It only really matters if I have an 8am meeting, but it's more the principle.
Old 02-03-15, 11:21 PM
SparkyBeacon 
Tourer

Bikes: Birdy folder, Bike Friday, Burley tandem, Nishiki fixie conversion, Dahon "Coca-Cola" Speed P8

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Riding to work, I go at a walking-level effort so that I do not get sweaty.

Riding home it depends on my mood. I might take it easy or push it. Pushing it is either constant higher effort or some intervals.
Old 02-03-15, 11:27 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,681 Times in 828 Posts
While there are a few stretches where I can push it; normally I have traffic to deal with and I don't ride any faster than I feel confident I can stop, swerve or do what it takes to avoid the unexpected threat from an inattentive, foolish or aggressive driver. Maybe I'm getting old, maybe I've had too many close calls, but the quest for speed, and placing your attention on speed, rather than safe commuting is dangerous whether on a bike, or in a car.
Old 02-04-15, 12:18 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
I try to do a leisurely ride but often find myself riding harder. Mostly I try to beat the time from the day before.
Old 02-04-15, 12:29 AM
AlTheKiller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm sitting upright on a 30-something pound city bike. I just want to get where I'm going and enjoy the ride. I accomplish both. Probably average about 12 mph I'd guess. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, almost anything.

Occasionally I'll throw on some kit and hop on a road bike and then I'm pushing it which for me these days is lower 20's for an hour or so.
average speeds are tricky. On a road or unladen cx bike, when I'm feeling frisky but not quite racey my average cruising speed on a commute might be 20mph. But if I have mapmyride running for that ride, my "average speed" is often way down to 13 or less, because of stops. On my beater, where I rarely push it and often cruise down at 15mph, my average is probably 11mph, though I rarely use GPS tracking on those rides
Old 02-04-15, 12:37 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
My commute usually starts like this:

As I leave my apartment complex, I tell myself: "dude just take it easy today, no need to race or go fast, just enjoy the weather and the ride."
As I leave my apartment complex, less than 3/4 of a mile, there is a small climb followed by a downhill onto the MUP that is a straight shot.
As I turn onto the MUP, "seriously, just take it easy, don't get all sweaty, just ride your bike like a normal person"
As I start down the hill, it might as well be.....

I blame my bike. It wants to go fast. I am not just saying that either, it really does. I have a hard time riding it slow.
Old 02-04-15, 12:54 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My route is 8 miles of hills on majorly trafficked streets., so I climb up them slowly and coast down. The one exception is the last hill before I get to work. It's a couple hundred feet drop along a twisty turning quiet road with some 17% downhill sections where i can go as fast as the cars. How can I resist the need for speed?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-04-15, 03:44 AM
TrekNerd

Bikes: Trek Domane 2.0, Trek 3700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My speed for bike commuting depends on the day and which bike I am using. I use my commuter mountain bike for relaxed paced commuting while I use the road bike for speed intervals. I have improved my fitness since I have been commuting for 1 year. When I first started commuting to work it would take my approximately 35 minutes to get there compared to only 15 mins as of this year.
Old 02-04-15, 07:29 AM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by spare_wheel
UNPOSSIBLE!!!

PS: i thought that the booties comment and the rolling eyes would make it clear i was being sarcastic. (on the commuting forums 25 mph is a speed only cancellara could maintain)
Inconceivable!!! I totally missed the sarcasm!!! :-)
Old 02-04-15, 08:26 AM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Not really. When I was racing a 25 mile individual time trial on the road of over an hour was rather poor. Most came in under an hour. It certainly wasn't herculean. And this was before bike fits, spin classes, power meters (or cell phones), training schedules, or matching booties. The masters guys I ride with occasionally will do 50 mile training rides in well under 2 hours (not a no-drop ride, I get dropped).
I'd love to see someone post evidence of a commute anywhere close to 25mph for a ~1 hr commute.

Most of these inflated figures come from someone glancing at their speedo while riding with a tailwind as a dump truck passes them.
Old 02-04-15, 08:27 AM
RyeRey521

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
My commute usually starts like this:

As I leave my apartment complex, I tell myself: "dude just take it easy today, no need to race or go fast, just enjoy the weather and the ride."
As I leave my apartment complex, less than 3/4 of a mile, there is a small climb followed by a downhill onto the MUP that is a straight shot.
As I turn onto the MUP, "seriously, just take it easy, don't get all sweaty, just ride your bike like a normal person"
As I start down the hill, it might as well be.....

I blame my bike. It wants to go fast. I am not just saying that either, it really does. I have a hard time riding it slow.
Ha... You and me both brother. There are certain sections that just scream to be mashed and I can't help myself. I actually threw 35c gravel tires on my bike to try and get myself to tone it back, and it helped a little speed wise, but power output is even more now lol... I alternate between bikes also and still have this problem.
Old 02-04-15, 08:34 AM
RyeRey521

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I'd love to see someone post evidence of a commute anywhere close to 25mph for a ~1 hr commute.

Most of these inflated figures come from someone glancing at their speedo while riding with a tailwind as a dump truck passes them.
You certainly don't need a tailwind and nice draft to hit 25mph. Most fit cyclist can do this on a flat with ease. Put my big ass on a slight decline and I can hit that with a relaxed cadence. Maintaining a 25mph pace on a commute is a different story as the reality is that we all need to deal with lights, traffic, and whatever we are carrying to work. Even on a straight commute with no lights, that pace would be impressive.
Old 02-04-15, 08:40 AM
gregf83 

Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by RyeRey521
You certainly don't need a tailwind and nice draft to hit 25mph. Most fit cyclist can do this on a flat with ease.
Most fit cyclists would have trouble maintaining 25mph for 20min particularly with a backpack, fenders and whatever else is necessary for a commute. They certainly wouldn't be riding at that speed with ease.
Old 02-04-15, 08:43 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corben
Not having a shower that I can use at work I have to make a effort not to exert myself too much. So easy does it for me. Plus I wear pants when I ride to work. I get a great deal of joy while riding at a comfortable. The longer it takes the better.
Kinda like me. Comfortable pace - not fast, nor slow.

Sometimes I get a catchy tune in my head and I just sprint till the tune plays itself out.
Old 02-04-15, 09:04 AM
RyeRey521

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Most fit cyclists would have trouble maintaining 25mph for 20min particularly with a backpack, fenders and whatever else is necessary for a commute. They certainly wouldn't be riding at that speed with ease.
Yes, I agree on maintaining it for 20 minutes. I was simply referencing your comment about glancing down at your computer and seeing that you hit 25mph. You don't need to have a tailwind or draft to HIT that speed enough top see it on your computer. Maintaining it for more then a minute or two certainly requires much more effort.
Old 02-04-15, 10:14 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
A lot of you have to remember, not all of us are commuting on heavy commuter bikes with full racks and panniers that are geared and fit for a slower ride. I personally ride a fixed gear track bike that weighs a tad over 17 lbs and absolutely flies. My commute is about 8.5 miles in the warmer months, 7.7 miles in the winter on my fat bike. If I time my ride right, I can get most of the green lights and have minimal stop signs. It is not uncommon for me to pass cars or at least ride right with them on the stretch of road that is 3 lanes wide and the speed limit is 25 mph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.