Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1985-95

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 10:54 AM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: Austro Daimler SLE

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Like the one Manny assembled in post #64, it seems a good idea to use brifters. Especially if you to hit the gravel.
His tires barely fit. Your Puch looks like it possesses more clearance, Clarence. With room for fenders, if necessary.
Personally, I do not venture offroad unless I can help it. Does anybody use downtube shifters in the dirt?
I would definitly like a bike with brifters, i just dont think it will be this one. From what ive watched so far(admittedly not enough to actually speak on it,yet here we are) the effort to do it just doesnt seem worth it(i could be wrong).I have another project in mind for later and will likely get a bike that is already ready already for brifters.
Old 04-14-24, 07:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,442 Posts
Colored chains turn to black within two days.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-15-24, 10:28 AM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Originally Posted by noglider
Colored chains turn to black within two days.
Do you mean from oil and grime? Or are you saying that the finish on the metal discolors leaving them permanently black?
Old 04-15-24, 11:19 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked 3,170 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Strawbunyan
Do you mean from oil and grime? Or are you saying that the finish on the metal discolors leaving them permanently black?
Probably the grime, but who knows!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-15-24, 12:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

It's the grime. The finish might rub off but not much. There is no avoiding the black grime. You can only minimize it.

A friend of mine is a bike lover and a car mechanic. He says his hands get far dirtier from working on bikes than on cars. After thinking about it, I realize he's right because black bicycle grime is unbeatable.

And by the way, I found that the best way to clean black bicycle grime off my hands is a mixture of dish soap, baking soda, and water. The best dish soap is Dawn™.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 04-16-24, 12:06 PM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

It's the grime. The finish might rub off but not much. There is no avoiding the black grime. You can only minimize it.

A friend of mine is a bike lover and a car mechanic. He says his hands get far dirtier from working on bikes than on cars. After thinking about it, I realize he's right because black bicycle grime is unbeatable.

And by the way, I found that the best way to clean black bicycle grime off my hands is a mixture of dish soap, baking soda, and water. The best dish soap is Dawn™.
so not only do i get to build the chain, i get to spend hours cleaning it with a toothbrush after every ride? I am in.
Old 04-16-24, 12:16 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

so not only do i get to build the chain, i get to spend hours cleaning it with a toothbrush after every ride? I am in.
That might be a little obsessive, but a toothbrush dipped in Dawn water actually does work like the chain cleaners Park used to sell.

Just plop it on the freewheel part of the chain while peddling backwards until it cycles through a few times and then on the back a few times and it turns a nice shade of gray rather than black!

PS: hopefully the boxes arrive today or tomorrow!
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-16-24, 12:23 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 184 Posts
I would definitly like a bike with brifters, i just dont think it will be this one. From what ive watched so far(admittedly not enough to actually speak on it,yet here we are) the effort to do it just doesnt seem worth it(i could be wrong).I have another project in mind for later and will likely get a bike that is already ready already for brifters.
PM me if you are in serious need of a set of "brifters". I have a set of 1st gen Dura Ace which can go to a worthy home.
Phil
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 04-16-24, 01:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Strawbunyan, I have said repeatedly that I dislike chain cleaning so much that I prefer to throw a chain away over cleaning it. Clearly, I broke my own rule this time, but it was because I had the time and space when I don't usually have them. Also, the job was not onerous this time because the chain had not gotten too disgusting. But yes, you do need some system of keeping the drivetrain clean, because letting it get too grimy and gritty will cause premature wear. The main problem with a worn chain is that it will wear out your rear cogs and front chainrings. (Those terms are redundant.) Cogs and chainrings are even expensiver (to coin a word) than chains, and I don't enjoy replacing them. I would rather replace a chain prematurely than buy new chainrings. I think I probably can go through three chains before needing to replace the cassette. I have never worn out a chainring, believe it or not.

I've been cleaning my chainrings as well as possible without disassembling the crank assembly, but I can't do the job completely this way. Maybe I'll clean them again soon. It's another job I don't enjoy.

Some people think all this work is unnecessary and obsessive. Maybe it is. But when you ride a lot, you have to make a trade off between keeping your bike in good shape and doing disgusting work.

There is a lot to be said for commuting on a bike with an internally geared hub. Maybe one day I'll do it. Those Priority bikes look pretty nice.

Likes For noglider:
Old 04-16-24, 02:37 PM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

@Strawbunyan, I have said repeatedly that I dislike chain cleaning so much that I prefer to throw a chain away over cleaning it. Clearly, I broke my own rule this time, but it was because I had the time and space when I don't usually have them. Also, the job was not onerous this time because the chain had not gotten too disgusting. But yes, you do need some system of keeping the drivetrain clean, because letting it get too grimy and gritty will cause premature wear. The main problem with a worn chain is that it will wear out your rear cogs and front chainrings. (Those terms are redundant.) Cogs and chainrings are even expensiver (to coin a word) than chains, and I don't enjoy replacing them. I would rather replace a chain prematurely than buy new chainrings. I think I probably can go through three chains before needing to replace the cassette. I have never worn out a chainring, believe it or not.

I've been cleaning my chainrings as well as possible without disassembling the crank assembly, but I can't do the job completely this way. Maybe I'll clean them again soon. It's another job I don't enjoy.

Some people think all this work is unnecessary and obsessive. Maybe it is. But when you ride a lot, you have to make a trade off between keeping your bike in good shape and doing disgusting work.

There is a lot to be said for commuting on a bike with an internally geared hub. Maybe one day I'll do it. Those Priority bikes look pretty nice.
I am a little weird in that regard i suppose.cleaning the drivelines in the machinery I used was one of my happy places. Preventitive maitenence being superior to repairs I completely agree with chucking chains at a bikes drive train as oppossed to replacing cogs and rings....but all i hear was "you get to spend hours building custom chains" and this just feels like the ADHD gift that keeps on giving.
Old 04-16-24, 02:39 PM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
That might be a little obsessive, but a toothbrush dipped in Dawn water actually does work like the chain cleaners Park used to sell.

Just plop it on the freewheel part of the chain while peddling backwards until it cycles through a few times and then on the back a few times and it turns a nice shade of gray rather than black!

PS: hopefully the boxes arrive today or tomorrow!
they are in TN and should arrive tomorrow. I am incredibly excited...I may not sleep tonight.
Old 04-16-24, 02:40 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

they are in TN and should arrive tomorrow. I am incredibly excited...I may not sleep tonight.
Whoop whoop!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super