Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Smart watch or dumb watch?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Smart watch or dumb watch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-21, 07:51 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I have the HRV turned on and I wear the watch all the time such that I record sleep. My HRV is in the green, meaning good and there are trends. I do not try to interpret the data to predict performance on the bike or when to rest. If I get enough sleep and an afternoon nap, I am good to go. I have played around with the SpO2 and EKG. Interesting. I always get a 98% or 99% SpO2 at the docs but my watch may show lower numbers. Go figure.
Thanks Hermes! I saw my cardiologist yesterday and she said HRV probably goes up a bit during exercise and down a bit other times. She's brilliant and didn't think it was very interesting unless it was all over the place, all the time. I haven't been wearing my watch at night but may try it occasionally and see what results look like. I've always been and "8 hrs. of sleep is a good start" kind of person, sleep soundly and rarely nap. My wife did a study of SpO2 meters once and found that they are pretty variable, so as long as mid-90's, I don't pay much attention to results.