Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride flatfooted? :)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone ride flatfooted? :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-23, 05:34 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Clipped in on the roadie, pinned flats on the mountain bike, and toe clips/ straps on the vintage roadie.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 10-27-23, 09:12 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
use flat studless pedals and either sneakers or flip flops
Old 10-27-23, 01:03 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
briefs, boxers? yeah, whatever.
I'd rather be clipped-in with super stiff soles for long rides. 90rpm * 180 minutes = 16k revolutions. Keep me in the groove, please.
I do prefer having my cleats all the way back, but it's not that big a deal. Maybe a shorter lever-arm in the foot/ankle physics? dunno.
I like jumping on my "utility bike" for a milk-run with any shoes I happen to be wearing. Situational.
Old 10-27-23, 01:35 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
use flat studless pedals and either sneakers or flip flops
You could be Sneaker Rider.
Old 10-27-23, 01:50 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
But I had always pedaled with the ball of my feet over the pedal axle, always wore tennies. With the rat traps, the pedals wore grooves in the tennies' soles so I got a real grip on the pedals when I tightened the straps.
A friend who became a 2 time Olympian and pro racer told me when he started riding he went on a double century with tennies and quill pedals with clips and straps.
Some point during the ride the pedal sawed through the sole of his shoe and was hurting his foot. He stopped at a store and bought a T.V. Guide and put part of it inside the shoe and finished the ride.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-28-23, 01:46 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
briefs, boxers? yeah, whatever.
I'd rather be clipped-in with super stiff soles for long rides. 90rpm * 180 minutes = 16k revolutions. Keep me in the groove, please.
I do prefer having my cleats all the way back, but it's not that big a deal. Maybe a shorter lever-arm in the foot/ankle physics? dunno.
I like jumping on my "utility bike" for a milk-run with any shoes I happen to be wearing. Situational.
Yeah. Me too. But a callus on my toe reduces me to two (wearable pairs of shoe)
Old 10-28-23, 02:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I prefer flat pedals for city and casual group rides and errands, clipless for road bike rides with few stops.

In group rides in the city with lots of stops I've seen several experienced cyclists using foot retention take a fall at stop signs and traffic lights. So far I've avoided that, but I've had a few close calls when another cyclist in front of or beside me did something unexpected at slow speed.

I haven't noticed any difference in speed over distance. Whenever I've set up a new-to-me road bike I've first ridden it a few times with flat pedals and walking or jogging shoes because I figure I'll stop to make adjustments often, and might need to walk if something goes wrong. After a few shakedown rides I've switched to clipless. No difference in speed. Some of my fastest Strava segments were still on flat pedals the first week I got a new-to-me Trek 5900 OCLV a few years ago.

But for fast group rides or when I'm trying for a PR on a hilly section or climb, it *feels* more efficient with clipless. However it doesn't consistently prove to be any faster.

FWIW, GCN presenters have done comparisons a few times. They've never shown any significant differences on the road or in the lab comparing foot retention vs free-footing it. And in every case none of the presenters was particularly experienced with flat pedals. I suspect a fair test with a competitive cyclist who preferred no retention might be a bit faster.
Old 10-28-23, 05:56 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Foot retention means you can pull up on those pedals too. I wouldn't ride steep without retention. But I can still slip my shoes out if needbe. I've seen others juggling their bikes at the road lights.
And when they don't change, heh heh so funny, but not, if you see what I mean . . .
Likes For peterws:
Old 10-28-23, 09:32 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Clipped in on the roadie, pinned flats on the mountain bike
+1 and I can ride very steep pitches on my mountain bike.
Old 10-28-23, 10:31 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
FWIW, GCN presenters have done comparisons a few times. They've never shown any significant differences on the road or in the lab comparing foot retention vs free-footing it. And in every case none of the presenters was particularly experienced with flat pedals. I suspect a fair test with a competitive cyclist who preferred no retention might be a bit faster.
Besides the GCN "science", the effect of pedal types have been examined under more rigorous conditions, and papers have been published:
  • for sub-maximal efforts, there is no metabolic difference between flat and clipless pedals (but time to fatigue was not measured)
  • for sprint efforts, clipless pedals offer a huge advantage over toe clips and flat pedals
Conclusion: You won't find it easier to pedal with clipless, but anyone who races on flat pedals will be at a major disadvantage to their competitors.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-28-23, 08:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Besides the GCN "science", the effect of pedal types have been examined under more rigorous conditions, and papers have been published:
  • for sub-maximal efforts, there is no metabolic difference between flat and clipless pedals (but time to fatigue was not measured)
  • for sprint efforts, clipless pedals offer a huge advantage over toe clips and flat pedals
Conclusion: You won't find it easier to pedal with clipless, but anyone who races on flat pedals will be at a major disadvantage to their competitors.
Yup, competitive road cycling is a whole nuther game, especially sprints, time trials and mountain stages. Lance Armstrong ripped his foot out of the pedals twice that I can think of -- once on a time trial start, another time on a mountain stage when he suddenly hit the gas. I think he once said something like there's no point in racing if you're not gonna rip the pedals off.

A steady rouleur like Anquetil with his toe-down pedaling style probably couldn't have been as efficient and effective without foot retention.

When I was still able to ride hard over longer distances I did find foot retention seemed to spread the effort more evenly and I had few or no problems with my quads, hamstrings and calf muscles cramping or fading out under steady effort. But due to chronic neck pain (severe cervical spine stenosis) it's been a few years since I've been able to ride longer than an hour or hour and a half, not long enough to notice any difference between foot retention and platform pedals.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 10-28-23, 08:33 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
This is perhaps your point, but metabolic difference may not be the best measure. Riding with a foot retention system fosters better pedaling technique, which spreads muscle recruitment better between the different muscle groups.
Spinning vs. mashing. Less leg fatigue. (Yes, it's possible to do a facsimile of spinning with flat pedals, but it's not the same.)
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-29-23, 12:36 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 150 Posts
I use pinned flat pedals and stiff soled non-cleat MTB shoes on my road bike. Due to a long history of joint issues, including surgery on both my ankles, I am not interested in cleats and clipless pedals.

Since I am also not doing crits or competitive sprints on my bike, it probably won’t ever matter.
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 10-30-23, 12:07 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MinnMan
This is perhaps your point, but metabolic difference may not be the best measure. Riding with a foot retention system fosters better pedaling technique, which spreads muscle recruitment better between the different muscle groups.
Spinning vs. mashing. Less leg fatigue. (Yes, it's possible to do a facsimile of spinning with flat pedals, but it's not the same.)
It's debatable. I've also heard the argument that learning to spin efficiency on flat pedals is actually good for your technique. It's all very subjective, but I do sometimes do spin drills on my mountain bike with pinned flats and it feels good when I get back on my road bike with clipless pedals.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-01-23, 02:31 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It's debatable. I've also heard the argument that learning to spin efficiency on flat pedals is actually good for your technique. It's all very subjective, but I do sometimes do spin drills on my mountain bike with pinned flats and it feels good when I get back on my road bike with clipless pedals.
For sure, my experience has been that pedaling fast is mindless clipped in compared to flat pedals which sometimes demand a bit of concentration even though I’ve spent the last 25K miles on flats.

Otto
Old 11-04-23, 09:56 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
For sure, my experience has been that pedaling fast is mindless clipped in compared to flat pedals which sometimes demand a bit of concentration even though I’ve spent the last 25K miles on flats.

Otto
On my gravel bikes I use flats with aggressive pins and 5.10 shoes and the grip is such that my feet won't move unless I do it intentionally, whether spinning fast, riding over rough terrain offroad, whatever. I can even "pull up" on the pedal a bit (but according to Grant Peterson, even clipped in nobody actually pulls up to any really effective degree, you're simply unweighting that pedal). I can shift my feet around however I want which is awesome for making adjustments as you ride. Sometimes I will indeed ride "flat footed" for a bit climbing for example if that feels good.
Likes For pbass:
Old 11-06-23, 10:33 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by pbass
On my gravel bikes I use flats with aggressive pins and 5.10 shoes and the grip is such that my feet won't move unless I do it intentionally, whether spinning fast, riding over rough terrain offroad, whatever. I can even "pull up" on the pedal a bit (but according to Grant Peterson, even clipped in nobody actually pulls up to any really effective degree, you're simply unweighting that pedal). I can shift my feet around however I want which is awesome for making adjustments as you ride. Sometimes I will indeed ride "flat footed" for a bit climbing for example if that feels good.
Same experience here. Pretty much every study I've read concludes the same as Petersen.
Old 11-08-23, 12:21 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Steve Hogg in Australia is one of the first people to study and promote mid-foot (flat foot) cleat placement. He retired once but may still be active. His web site still appears to be active. He promoted a total range of bike fit assistance and certified fitters per his protocol around the world. There's one in Boulder, CO.

I became interested because I have very long toes and started slamming my cleats back as far as possible on my cycling shoes. Today there are certain brands that allow cleat placement farther back (like Lake) and some even offer in midsole placement (Biomac). Here's an interesting video from Cade Media in Australia. Quite long, no science, but lots of experience cycling and fitting. Hogg has lots of science.

Likes For Terex:
Old 11-11-23, 07:58 AM
PeteHski

Fizik shoes also now have more rearward cleat adjustment range, but nowhere near mid-sole. As an endurance rider I just slam my cleats to the rear end stop and call it good. I like Steve Hogg and think he makes some interesting observations. The fitter in your linked video is well respected too and talks a lot of sense (but I haven't watched this one yet).
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-12-23, 07:05 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Well, I took enough time on today’s ride to note that I do ride with the pedal axle about 1” behind the ball of the foot. That seems to be about optimal on this bike with this saddle and saddle height. Since I’m riding on flat pedals with plastic pins but no retention, I can put my foot where it feels right.

Otto
Old 11-13-23, 01:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm slowly converting from cleats to flat pedals. I injured my feet permanently, necessitating this change. Oddly, it's hard to do. I'm so used to putting the balls of my feet over the pedal spindle that I do it habitually. I'm trying to pedal with my arches which is what my health requires. It's a slow habit change.

I've already changed the way I walk, but changing my cycling habit is harder since I'm on my feet a lot more than on the bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-23, 01:35 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by noglider
I'm slowly converting from cleats to flat pedals. I injured my feet permanently, necessitating this change. Oddly, it's hard to do. I'm so used to putting the balls of my feet over the pedal spindle that I do it habitually. I'm trying to pedal with my arches which is what my health requires. It's a slow habit change.

I've already changed the way I walk, but changing my cycling habit is harder since I'm on my feet a lot more than on the bike.
I presume you dropped your saddle height to compensate for a more rearward foot position. Also need to think about adjusting saddle set back.
Old 11-15-23, 07:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I presume you dropped your saddle height to compensate for a more rearward foot position. Also need to think about adjusting saddle set back.
Yes I've done these things. It's good you mentioned it, though.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-20-23, 07:39 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Before this thread gets too far off kilter, I'm not sure why those that don't use cleats think those of us that do use cleats, clipless, clips and etc. despise or think badly of those that are happy with just plain and simple flat pedals.

If you are riding your bike and enjoying it, I don't really care how you do it. However if you describe an issue that seems like it might involve foot retention, then for sure I and others will recommend SPD, SPD-SL, toe straps/clips and all the other common methods to keep feet on pedals at high cadences. But that doesn't make us hater's toward you all just because we recommend them.

I rode bikes for almost 50 years before leaving simple flat pedals.

this......................who cares, I ride with a lady in our group that rides in sandals and she's fast and strong
Old 11-20-23, 09:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,444 Times in 1,803 Posts
Science?

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20036285/steve-hogg/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.