Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

World Bicycle Relief?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

World Bicycle Relief?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-23, 07:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
World Bicycle Relief?

I saw on Trek's website a link to World Bicycle Relief, which says for $165 you can purchase a Buffalo bicycle for someone in need who resides in Africa, and that Trek will match the donation.

Is this legit? Anyone have any experience with this, good, bad or otherwise?

I assume Trek vetted it if they are matching donations, but since I haven't heard of this before, and have a tendency toward suspicion bordering on the clinically paranoid, I wanted to ask...
Old 11-21-23, 11:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
From everything I have seen and heard WBR is legit. I cannot speak to Trek matching donations but I can say WBR seems to be on the up and up. I believe Cane Creek did a limited edition headset a number of years ago to help benefit them. It looked cool wish I had picked one up but then I probably would have installed it on something.,,

If you trust Charity Navigator, they get a good rating from them:
https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/205080679

I think it is a neat concept because not only is it providing bikes but also training mechanics to work on them and parts and supplies so they are sustainable in the environment they are in for long term usage.

However like any massive charity there are probably issues. It is hard to be that huge and not get to a slightly more corporate level and most large corporations aren't really great for various reasons. So there is a little bad with the good but I think from what I have seen they are more good than bad and I haven't heard any complaints about them.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-22-23, 01:50 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
... for $165 you can purchase a Buffalo bicycle for an African in need.
Sounds wonderful. I assume they use the hide for the saddle and bones to build the frame. I appreciate they're using the whole animal for planet sustainability.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-22-23, 05:56 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
FK Day along with his wife started WBR many years ago. It is legit and worth supporting. I have worked on bicycling advocacy in Arica and have witness the need for transport that the Buffalo bike can provide. In addition to the bikes, WBR recognized that bikes need repairs. They put in a training program for that as well. Trek and SRAM have worked on other philanthropic efforts including Dream Bikes which I think was discontinued but not 100% sure.supporting them is a good use of your donation money.
Likes For debade:
Old 11-22-23, 05:57 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
WBR has been around for a long time and I want to say, EF Education, or one or multiple of their predecessor team(s), supported them as part of their racing organization and gave them prominent jersey space. Also if my one man memory serves, Trek has been a long term sponsor of WBR, however I am old, so I could be thinking of another company.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-22-23, 06:12 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I have donated several times. The impact a Buffalo Bike has is huge.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 11-22-23, 08:10 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Sounds wonderful. I assume they use the hide for the saddle and bones to build the frame. I appreciate they're using the whole animal for planet sustainability.
Here is what a Buffalo Bike really is.

Old 11-22-23, 11:32 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Litespeed requires a donation to WBR for their serial number lookup service. I've used it a couple of times, and glad to do it.

Litespeed Serial Number Lookup – Litespeed Bicycles
Old 11-25-23, 02:19 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Here is what a Buffalo Bike really is.

I sure am glad they skipped cottered cranks
Old 11-25-23, 05:25 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
The issue is not lack of bikes, but lack of money to buy bikes. The lack of money to buy bikes is caused by a lack of job opportunities. The lack of job opportunities is caused by a lack of business opportunities. The lack of business opportunities is caused by lack of good social infrastructure (roads, power grid, public education). The lack of good social infrastructure is caused entirely by political corruption.
Old 11-28-23, 08:11 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
World Bicycle Relief is an awesome organization. It was started by one of the co-founders of SRAM and is headquartered in Chicago. They are in the same building as SRAM.

I have a friend who recently traveled to Africa with WBR to help distribute bikes and see first hand the impact that the organization has on young girls.
Old 11-28-23, 01:29 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Instead of giving them bicycles, isn't it better to lend money to these people so they can designed and build their own bicycles? Surely they know their needs better than somebody sitting thousands of miles away.