Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic brake question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hydraulic brake question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 04:26 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Hydraulic brake question

I have a little arthritis in my hands, when it's cold out pulling the brakes can be a little difficult and painful. Not that I can afford hydraulic brakes right now but for the future when they get cheaper and my hands get worse I was wondering if the pull is easier on hydraulic brakes? Or can the tension even be set?
Old 10-28-16, 04:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Absolutely. Very much so. It is one of the primary reasons I got them. Now I can do one or two-finger braking down extended 10% grades. My wife has arthritis in her hands, and she is unable to use any other type of brake. I would make the investment now, as it might help slow the onset of more serious symptoms. If you get the mountain bike variety, good ones (eg: Shimano XT) are quite cheap. I just put a pair ($90 each, pre-bled) on a mountain bike, for my 13 year old. The road ones are more expensive because they are integrated with shifters, but the Shimano 105 level is basically the same as ultegra, and isn't insanely priced. (I got mine when they were bundled with Di2, so they were quite expensive, and I still have no regrets.)
Old 10-28-16, 04:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
The mechanical advantage in any brake system is independent of the means used to transfer lever power to the pucks. So any brake where the shoes move the same amount for a given lever throw will have the same performance.

That said, there is friction in cable brakes, especially rear ones, so hydraulics will feel smoother and more sensitive than cable brakes.

Until they develop power brakes with booster, don't expect miracles simply by virtue of changing from cable to hydraulic.

HOWEVER - they do make variable leverage levers for cable brakes, and those can make a big difference. The drawback is that alignment and adjustment becomes that much more critical. Also, while brakes tend in the me leverage ballpark, there are differences, so you may be able to track one with higher than average leverage. I don't know if anyone includes the multiplier info in their specs, so you probably have to make some effort to get the info.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-28-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-28-16, 05:45 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Even mechanical disc brakes take a lot less hand effort.
Old 10-28-16, 10:13 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The mechanical advantage in any brake system is independent of the means used to transfer lever power to the pucks. So any brake where the shoes move the same amount for a given lever throw will have the same performance.
Hydraulic systems "increase" power and do it better than mechanical brake systems.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/Wi...principle.html
Old 10-29-16, 07:17 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience Shimano hydro brake levers take much less effort to pull than Shimano mechanical brakes.
Old 10-30-16, 12:41 AM
Danny01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had TRP spyres and now have Shimano 785 hydros. I actually don't think the pull effort is much less on the hydros. The modulation is much better, but the difference in effort vs the Spyres is marginal.
Old 10-30-16, 08:41 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
In principle FB is correct. The mechanical advantage of a system is fixed by design, and two systems with equivalent MA will feel similar.

In practice, hydraulics win. Shimano already has variable MA levers (ServoWave).
Mechanical brakes are more limited because cables stretch, and hydraulic fluid doesn't. So for a given pull, hydraulics will feel stronger even if the brakes have the same MA.
Old 10-30-16, 08:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Hydraulic Rim Brake from the German Magura company work quite well , and need very little service once installed.

and the reach to the lever is comfortable. Mine , have been on the bike for 12 years.

'/,

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-30-16 at 08:59 AM.