Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ultrasonic Cleaners - Your Feedback Please

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-21, 08:42 AM
Maohaus

Bikes: Fuji, Colnago, Trek, Raleigh, Motobecane, Araya, Famolare, Elgin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts

I am in the market for an ultrasonic cleaner. I would love to get some up-to-date feedback regarding brand, size, power etc. Also curious as to how you are using these - with cleaning fluid or water? I recall that some of you even put your parts in a plastic bag? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences with these cleaners.
Old 12-22-21, 11:32 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I've used a harbor freight one and I have mixed reviews. Sometimes it helps loosen things and sometimes it is pretty useless. I don't always pull it out to use.

It does seem to clean steel and chrome parts better than aluminum.
Old 12-22-21, 11:42 AM
Maohaus

Oh, I forgot about Harbor Freight as a source. Generally, I find their products to be a great value.
Old 12-22-21, 11:49 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
I have an inexpensive plasticy one. I used it to clean my paint spray gun with paint thinner, which pretty much ruined it. It wasn't much use for greasy bike parts before that (I hear the kind of cleaning fluid used can make a huge difference but I shyed away from the cost and time to find out).
it is on reading glasses cleaning duty now and does a good job at that.
Old 12-22-21, 01:29 PM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
My friend just told me about his budget option: he stuck a hook and loop adhesive pad on the bottom of a peanut butter jar and then sticks it to his random orbital. I might try it.
Old 12-22-21, 03:16 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
I've found my ultrasonic to be quite useful for getting the deep nooks and crannies clean for parts that have already had an initial cleaning with detergent or solvent but where the last 10% is not getting clean. It's a finishing tool, not something for initial cleaning...most people who complain about these seem to be using them for the wrong purpose. It would be silly to use it for absolutely filthy parts caked with grease and muck.

I've used water, water mixed with detergent, and other cleaning solutions. To reduce cleaning solution waste I often put very small parts into a plastic bag or other lightweight container that I immerse with water filling most of the ultrasonic bath.

Also, make sure that you get an ultrasonic with a heating element. The heat often makes a big difference in the final outcome. I forgot the brand of the one I have but it looks like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Li..._id=7656072011
Old 12-23-21, 02:48 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by EnzoRWD
My friend just told me about his budget option: he stuck a hook and loop adhesive pad on the bottom of a peanut butter jar and then sticks it to his random orbital. I might try it.
At 10,000-ish orbits per _minute_, it's not exactly ultrasonic. But any vibration will have some effect, I suppose.
Old 12-23-21, 07:10 AM
kansascity 
Honorary Bicycle Rider

Bikes: N+1's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I've found my ultrasonic to be quite useful for getting the deep nooks and crannies clean for parts that have already had an initial cleaning with detergent or solvent but where the last 10% is not getting clean. It's a finishing tool, not something for initial cleaning...most people who complain about these seem to be using them for the wrong purpose. It would be silly to use it for absolutely filthy parts caked with grease and muck.

Also, make sure that you get an ultrasonic with a heating element.
This is the best advice for someone shopping.

I purchased the 10L version for $129 at the beginning of November and choose 10L so I could fit a full crankset.
Likes For kansascity:
Old 12-23-21, 07:20 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
Here’s mine:

Old 12-23-21, 08:04 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I have this: https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

I use warm water and for real dirty stuff parts in a baggie with Dawn detergent, baggie put in the warm tank water.
Old 12-23-21, 10:12 AM
Maohaus

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like heat is a must and then pick a size to suit your max parts. I love the idea of being able to immerse a full chainwheel and crank. Cleaning is a PITA but this should help with the final cleaning (after a good bath in the parts washer!
Old 12-23-21, 10:45 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
I agree with others above. Heat is a good thing and ultrasonic is a final cleaning step, not the initial go-to. To my way of thinking, ultrasonic cleaning on bicycle bits is perhaps overkill. On hardware it would be great and also as final cleaning on derailleurs and IGH hub bits but regular cleaning solutions work well enough for me 99.99% of the time.
Old 12-28-21, 07:49 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
"Search" is your friend. In the last month or two like this one there are good threads on this subject:

Parts cleaners and cleaning formulas?

Ultrasonic cleaners for Chains and other parts
Old 12-28-21, 08:22 AM
Maohaus

After reading some of these threads I actually think I know less than when I started reading!

It was difficult to discern any common ground on the ultrasonic cleaners or the use of cleaning solutions. There are obviously many different approaches, and it seems what works for some, fails others. Nevertheless, lots of ideas and I will try some that I haven't previously. I have always been a fan of mineral spirits and WD-40. And I use a parts washer with a citrus based concentrate that works great. Just picked up an ultrasonic from Amazon and will likely use with mineral spirits - have had great luck with that in the past. Trial and error. Trial and error.