Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

My first Bonk

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 12:12 PM
netso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first Bonk

I bonked on a ride this weekend (100). I normally do not eat breakfast, take an endurance drink, eat energy bars on the ride. This weekend I did not have my endurance drink, ate eggs, bacon and toast.
Had coffee and OJ. After about 40 miles I died, limped in but I was dead. Do you think it was this change?
Old 10-03-05, 01:18 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Most likely you didn't drink enough water and didn't eat enough. Pretty simple really. Your body can only store about 2000-2500 calories of glycogen. That's good for about 30-45 miles. Supplement that with about 800-1000 calories of fat-metabolism and the furthest you're gonna go is about 60-65 miles before you bonk at best. To do a century safely, you gotta drink at least six 20oz bottles of water and ingest about 2500-3500 calories in energy drinks and food.
Old 10-03-05, 02:41 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Food and drink advice:

Drink one 750 ml (3 cup) bottle of water and/or sports drink every 1 to 1.5 hours. That will keep you hydrated without over-doing it.
Note: the 750 ml bottle is a pretty common size.

Eat 500-1000 calories in the morning before you head out on a ride ... about an hour or so before you go, so you've got time to digest it. Then eat 250 calories per hour while you are cycling for the first 6 or 7 hours. Somewhere around the 6 or 7 hour mark, eat more - like 500-1000 calories (a meal). Then return to 250 calories per hour again for another 6 hours or so ... and keep going, and going and going ...
Note: the average energy bar is about 250 calories.
Note: you should be able to ride a century on energy bars only, but sometimes it is nice to stop for a meal around the 3-4 hour mark.

Now if it is hot, and/or as you move up into longer distances, you'll especially want to pay attention to your electrolytes (sodium and potassium). You may opt to take suppliments if the area you live is really hot, or you may find that something like a little bag of salted almonds or potato chips mid-way through the ride will do the trick.
Old 10-03-05, 06:01 PM
lws

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I think it was the change. Eggs and bacon have a lot of fat and protein but not so much carbs, and it takes a long time to digest them. You started off that ride with only the glycogen you had in your muscles and liver, and no good way to replenish that.