Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I rode! I rode! I finally, finally rode!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 07:15 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today, I took my slower, heavier "errand" bike, the Glove Vienna 2, to the shop to bring her back to rideability. She needed some spokes, a wheel trued, a new tube, etc. And I needed a new helmet.

They did the work on the spot. ANOTHER good, nearby LBS for me!

Then I took the bike and my new helmet to a large empty church parking lot near home. Dressed in "old man on a bike" street clothes, I hopped on. Wheeee! It was just like riding a bike!

Didn't ride too long - just enough to remind my butt what's coming as I reacclimate to cycling. Took her through her paces, using all the gears. Practicing looking behind me without steering the bike into what would be traffic.

Maybe did a couple of miles round and round - who knows? What's important is this: it was wonderful! Feels just like I remembered. It's been over two years since I have ridden, and my fitness levels prove it. But I'm back on a bike. I'll ride the Globe for a while, and get used to riding on streets, and then I'll be ready for Mrs. Jones before long.

Butt? I'm serious - you're in for some reconditioning!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-13-15, 07:56 PM
Flyboyron

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Crossroads Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know just exactly how you feel! My first post, two days after my first ride in probably 25+ years.

I never was a big-time rider, nor a knowledgeable one, but I used to love tooling around on my bikes as a teenager.

Now I'm enjoying doing a LOT of reading here. What a treasure trove, for a new (restart) rider! Thanks to all who contribute. Maybe someday, I'll have something worth adding, too.

For now, though, I just retired in Oct. at 60, and finally got harassed into reconsidering biking to get myself into some kind of shape, by a couple of avid biker friends. Thanks to them and their prodding and coaching, I started my research, much of it here, and decided to take the plunge on Wednesday.

Bought my first decent bike since I dumped my old heavy Schwinn 10-speed road bike at a local homeless shelter about 5 years ago. Hadn't ridden it in probably at least 20-25+ yrs. so I decided someone else should get some use for it. Bought it a set of tubes and tires (old ones were literally rotting off) and dropped it off at the shelter. Just felt like I was never going to use it. And I probably wouldn't have.

Anyhow, I enjoyed my first ride around the neighborhood two days ago, only a little over 3 miles, but what a blast. I forgot how much I liked it. I have a ton of weight to lose, and hope this will help me with that, and with just general fitness improvement. I'll never be a racer, but I have already gotten back much of what I forgot, with a bunch more to learn.

Looking forward to getting comfortable again, with the immense amount of help available here. So Congratulations, Digital Gee, I'm starting out right behind you!!
Old 03-13-15, 08:18 PM
ray.garza

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited and 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what a great feeling to ride a bike. Congrats in getting your bike back in riding condition .... have fun!
Old 03-13-15, 10:02 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
That's how I feel after riding the trainer for weeks on end before there's a day nice enough to ride outside! Good for you!
Old 03-13-15, 10:33 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Welcome back, Deeg!
Old 03-14-15, 07:02 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Glad to see that those first few pedal revolutions got taken, Deege. Things will come together for you now, Mrs. Jones is probably starting to get anxious for some miles, too. Have a great weekend.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-14-15, 09:31 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Great! Now how about some photos of the local fauna?
Old 03-14-15, 09:39 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey I just googled your bike and up pops and image from somewhere in these forums, dark bike hanging off the back of a silver car in a parking log, some guy in a green T smiling proudly next to her ... is that you? What happened that you were 2 years off the bike? Nothing really bad I hope. Glad you back on the bike.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 03-14-15, 09:39 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Good for you.

Getting the muscles and lungs back in shape will take time, of course, but as long as you are enjoying the rides, they'll take care of themselves. I imagine that in Reno there are tons of good trails to ride without having to deal too much with traffic stress.

Now all you need is a little persistence!
Old 03-14-15, 02:43 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
One day at a time, DG, one day at a time... : - )
Old 03-14-15, 04:11 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Welcome back to the world's greatest sport, DG.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-14-15, 09:25 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"On the road again, I can't wait to get on the road again!" -Willie :-)
Old 03-14-15, 09:56 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire
Hey I just googled your bike and up pops and image from somewhere in these forums, dark bike hanging off the back of a silver car in a parking log, some guy in a green T smiling proudly next to her ... is that you? What happened that you were 2 years off the bike? Nothing really bad I hope. Glad you back on the bike.
Nope, that's not me. I found him too. What happened in the last two years? Well, long story, but a move from San Diego to Reno in September, 2013 was a headline. New relationship beginning in March, 2014 was another headline. (Made the mistake of giving her a drawer. Now she lives with me. ) No really bad stuff, but I was in a rut in cycling and in life. Now I'm fat and happy and sassy, and hoping to do something about the fat part and recover the joy of being out on that open road and clearing my head.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-15-15, 07:35 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Woo Hoo!

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-15-15, 07:42 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I am retired so I am lucky enough to ride all the time. And cycling today is still every bit as much fun as when I was a kid. It never changes... every ride is a good time.