Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mirror for trekking bars?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mirror for trekking bars?

Old 03-14-14, 01:02 PM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a learning curve with convex mirrors..:-)

It wouldn't put me off though if there were other new design features that were an improvement.

Under what conditions and how often do you need to use a mirror?

I mostly rely on a mirror when I'm going to make a left turn from the right side of the road, or if I'm coming to a stretch with no shoulder.
Old 03-15-14, 03:21 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
no rear rack load may need be part of the plan, as it would be just what the mirror would see.
the panniers ..
Ahhhh
I didnt consider that!
Moving right along now.........
Old 03-17-14, 03:07 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
+2 on the D+D Oberlauda/Ultralight German mirror try the ACA Store. This is whats on my trekking bars
Old 03-17-14, 03:59 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just saw this thread, and there doesn't seem to be any mention of a simple method which I used successfully with my Novara Safari: Just use Third Eye bar end mirrors, in combination with some MTB bar-ends that have an L-bend (I used Titec, but they don't seem to be made any more). These will slide on to the butterfly bars, and then use the Third Eye MTB bar-end mirror on the end of the bar-ends. It looks like the pic below.

(You can see the larger original version here)

I like this better than the commercial solutions because I have found that the arm of the commercial mirrors is usually quite thin and produces vibration when riding on rough roads or trails. This makes it hard to see what's in the mirror.

Like I said the Titec bar ends are now unavailable, but for reference these are what I used:

Amazon.com: Titec L-Bend AL Bar End: Sports & Outdoors

These might be similar, though I can't really tell for sure without holding them in my hand:

Amazon.com: Origin8 Pro Pulsion Compe-Lite Bar Ends - Long Black, "L" Shape: Sports & Outdoors

And here are the Third Eye Bar End MTB mirrors:

Amazon.com: Third Eye Bar End Bicycle Mirror: Sports & Outdoors

Hope that helps,

Neil

p.s. Something I forgot to mention: Using the MTB bar ends as mirror arms also has the advantage that you can use them to attach things like lights, or anything else that expects a standard MTB diameter bar to clamp to. I had my DiNotte lights on the arms in the picture I posted above, for example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img_4048.jpg (103.5 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by NeilGunton; 03-18-14 at 02:27 PM. Reason: p.s.
Old 03-17-14, 10:19 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried the German Ultra light mirror, but didn't like it due to its convex shape making cars appear much farther away then they are, I've gone with a large helmet mirror that I'm trying to get used to. So far I like it fairly well Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror I'd prefer a mirror on my handle bar, but have not found one that works as well as this helmet mounted one.
Old 03-18-14, 06:28 AM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeideas
Not happy with other eyeglass-mount mirrors available, I made my own pictured here. If this style mirror is your choice, please copy the design and make one.

Great idea/design. Where did you get the round mirror and what material is the part with 3 holes?
Please describe in detail.
I have a Blackburn helmet mirror but it vibrates a lot and is difficult to adjust/position so that you will not see your own face.
I also have a cheap handlebar mounted 3" round mirror which I like a lot over the helmet mirror. Another such mirror had convex mirror which is useless as by the time you notice the vehicle in the mirror, it is too close.
I tried to use a Schwinn mirror that goes over the grip with a velcro - totally useless with vibrations.
So, to me the best mirror seems to be a handlebar mounted mirror with an arm about 9-12" long that will allow to clear the rider's body and show the rear. I am also looking for a mirror for a trekking bar and a bar end fitted with a bar end mirror should work and the bar end can be loosened when the bike needs to be flipped or packed in a box, etc.
Old 03-18-14, 06:37 AM
bikeideas

Bikes: Trek Elite 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ak08820
Great idea/design. Where did you get the round mirror and what material is the part with 3 holes?
Please describe in detail.
I have a Blackburn helmet mirror but it vibrates a lot and is difficult to adjust/position so that you will not see your own face.
I also have a cheap handlebar mounted 3" round mirror which I like a lot over the helmet mirror. Another such mirror had convex mirror which is useless as by the time you notice the vehicle in the mirror, it is too close.
I tried to use a Schwinn mirror that goes over the grip with a velcro - totally useless with vibrations.
So, to me the best mirror seems to be a handlebar mounted mirror with an arm about 9-12" long that will allow to clear the rider's body and show the rear. I am also looking for a mirror for a trekking bar and a bar end fitted with a bar end mirror should work and the bar end can be loosened when the bike needs to be flipped or packed in a box, etc.
Thanks for you comments. All the materials are easily accessible, just look around. The temple piece is rubber. Obviously, vibration is the enemy, that piece you must keep taut to reduce. I would think a 9-12" arm would wobble wildly.
Old 03-18-14, 06:39 AM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeideas
Thanks for you comments. All the materials are easily accessible, just look around. The temple piece is rubber. Obviously, vibration is the enemy, that piece you must keep taut to reduce. I would think a 9-12" arm would wobble wildly.
The arm was meant for a handlebar mounted mirror. For that the arm is a 6mm rod. I created confusion by mixing 2 designs in my response.
Old 03-18-14, 06:40 AM
lenA
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the folks who don't like convex mirrors.

You had to adapt to using the convex opposite side rear view mirror in your vehicle I'm sure.

Seems to me that you will make that adjustment after a while if you wanted to work on it a bit.
Old 03-18-14, 06:50 AM
bikeideas

Bikes: Trek Elite 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ak08820
The arm was meant for a handlebar mounted mirror. For that the arm is a 6mm rod. I created confusion by mixing 2 designs in my response.
I understood that the 9-12" was for the bike. When you are testing the arm: I found when I designed my eyeglass-mount mirror, the thicker I made the wire arm, the heavier it was so the more it vibrated. So your 6mm diameter may change per testing. Follow my signature if you want to see my design further.
Old 03-18-14, 07:24 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by lenA
For the folks who don't like convex mirrors.

You had to adapt to using the convex opposite side rear view mirror in your vehicle I'm sure.

Seems to me that you will make that adjustment after a while if you wanted to work on it a bit.
Len, for me here is the crux of the matter, a mirror is useful when it gives you a heads up of dangerous situations that are happening behind you, a flat mirrors advantage over a convex one is that it gives you a more detailed, longer reaching view behind you that is faster and easier to identify a danger.
A faster and more more detailed (I say detailed, but Im meaning, giving you a clearer idea of what is going on, simply cuz the image is bigger and not "wideangled") view of someone hugging the edge of the road in a curve behind you (for example) is going to give you a little bit more time to react than with a convex mirror where the object doing whatever dangerous thing is going to be much smaller and the convex effect distorts the time/distance thing along with the image being smaller due to teh convex effect.

Different mirrors have diff convex curves, as well as varying degrees of optical quality (plastic, crappy plastic etc) so this comes into play, but having spent years with a convex type mirror mounted on brake hoods, going to a flat, optically very good Take-A-Look model was immediately better for giving me a bit more time to quickly assess a danger with a glance.

I guess we disagree here, but by addressing directly the shortcomings of convex vs flat, I hope to support my point of view with examples of "why".

again, any mirror used is better than none, I just feel a flat one gives you a bit more time to properly assess and react, and with cycling, a half second or second can be the difference, I know I have certainly avoided unpleasantness by not much more than that, so I'll take it.

Oh, and your car reference, we use the flat rear view in our cars to see behind us, we use the convex side mirrors for seeing what is immediately beside us.
Use your car side mirrors to judge stuff behind you while you are stopped at the side of a 45 or 60mph road and you will see how fast and unclear stuff comes up.

safe riding
Old 03-18-14, 08:50 AM
lenA
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I'll give a helmet mirror a try.
Old 03-18-14, 10:24 AM
djb

As I really wasnt sure how I'd like them, I'm glad it only cost 15 bucks, it is kinda weird having g it in your field of vision. That's exactly why I never was keen on them over 25 yrs ago.
I guess none of them are perfect.
Old 03-18-14, 02:17 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I started out with trekking bars on my touring bike. I've gone through a couple of different bars and tried a couple different mirrors. I ended up with a Take-a-Look mounted on my glasses. Everything else either interfered with a hand position or failed to show me anything useful. The Take-A-Look can be pointed in just about any direction. I ditched my contacts and went to photosensitive glasses so that I always have eye protection, sunglasses, and a place to hang my mirror. I use it almost daily. Also I can easily switch bikes and not worry about making sure all the bikes have a mirror.
Old 03-18-14, 04:06 PM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a cluttered pic what with my helmet hanging off of the headlight and the front pannier down below. But here's a mirror arrangement which is working for me, said mirror gotten for the princely sum of $7.95 at the Wal Mark bike dept and held in place by the velcro strap. I'm debating putting one on the right side too

Last edited by Sharpshin; 03-18-14 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-28-16, 12:19 PM
radarek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to know your sourece for the SAFARI type handlebar

Originally Posted by Sharpshin
This is a cluttered pic what with my helmet hanging off of the headlight and the front pannier down below. But here's a mirror arrangement which is working for me, said mirror gotten for the princely sum of $7.95 at the Wal Mark bike dept and held in place by the velcro strap. I'm debating putting one on the right side too

Hello

Please let me know of the source for your handlebar or similar design. I see that you've attached comfort handles at the edge.

Thanks

Roman
Old 03-28-16, 12:59 PM
djb

Roman, here in Canada the bars like this that I have seen in stores in Montreal have almost the same shape. Depending on where you live, if in Europe you will probably be able to find diff shapes as they seem to be more popular there. Here they are rather rare and the ones I saw in a store a few weeks ago cost $26 Can., on sites like Nashbar in the US, they cost $20 US.
Old 03-28-16, 01:39 PM
arnaguedes

Bikes: Charge Duster Chromoly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
love my zefal spy

you can use it in any angle and any spot, trekking bar or on the top tube
Attached Images
spy.jpg (47.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 03-28-16, 08:01 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I use one very similar to this: Bell Sports 7015978 SMARTVIEW MIRROR Black - Walmart.com

It has a velcro strap wrap around on the handle, and I like it very much. It does not need to be installed on the bar end, only near the bend at the "corner" of the trekking bar. And yes, I have trekking bar handlebars on my #1 bike and am going to replace the drops on my #2 bike with trekking bars also. It is simply more comfortable and functional.
Old 03-28-16, 08:52 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Ha, found it - Evo Mirror
This is the mirror I was thinking of. I have one on my Bike Friday Triple w/ road bars and STI's. Works well for me.
Old 03-28-16, 09:14 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
EfficientVelo SafeZone helmet mirror is extra-wide & sturdy, by far the best mirror I've tried of either type. Past 2 weeks I've been riding a bike w/handlebar mirror & the the helmet-mounted SafeZone mirror works so much better I tend to forget the handlebar mirror is even there.
Old 03-28-16, 10:55 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Made by Bell. Fastener is velcro and I put some tape over to keep the end flap down.

Attached Images
PA020491 (2).jpg (120.6 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-29-16, 12:35 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Made by Bell.
i believe that one is a clone of the backburn bar end mirror. great mirror! mine held
up to 6-7 years of rough riding. bar ends are nice, easy to switch sides when
constantly crossing borders right-hand vs. left-hand drive.

went with a generic balljoint style fit-over-the-handgrip with velcro strap when
switched to flutterby bars.

other options possible below.

gold clamp is an e-bike mirror mount, black clamp is a h-bar h20 cage mount.

Attached Images
Picture 1935.jpg (69.1 KB, 71 views)
Picture 1936.jpg (88.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 03-29-16, 08:45 AM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
That gold clamp would be handy.