Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best GPS for navigating?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best GPS for navigating?

Old 06-17-15, 11:30 AM
mozad655

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best GPS for navigating?

I'm looking for car-style bicycle GPS with very detailed maps (like google map quality). Preferably ones that run on AA batteries. Do such devices that meet those criterias exist?
Old 06-17-15, 07:36 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garmin eTrex series runs on AA batteries... but not sure if you can run the typical street style navigation on them.
It looks like the Montana series and maybe the Oregon series will do that - either on an Lithium or AAs.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cata...Product=518046

I use the eTrex20... but I do alot of offroad in addition to onroad, so I'm building routes at home, and loading extra tracks / options for use on the go.
I have no idea how well the Oregon or Montana series work in the rain (touchscreen)...
Old 06-17-15, 08:21 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mozad655
I'm looking for car-style bicycle GPS with very detailed maps (like google map quality). Preferably ones that run on AA batteries. Do such devices that meet those criterias exist?
The Garmin GPS units like the Etrex use batteries but don't have the wide screne like the ones you see in a car. However, it's not the end of the world because if you construct your route on your computer before heading out, a detailed map would not be necessary.

However, there are no GPS units out there created for cyclist that use AA batteries and come with a large bright screens like one would use in a car. You can atach a car GPS to your handlebar and carry an external battery. The Montana is just way too expensive at the moment to even think about.
Old 06-18-15, 08:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No consensus on 'Best', but, It's Discussed on and on in this section Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Old 06-18-15, 08:15 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
I picked up a garmin oregon 600 as I like a touch screen and I like that it can run off of double a batteries. It's waterproof rating is IXP7 which is the same as the extrex 20. The battery life should be better on the etrex 20 but the oregon has the touch screen.
Old 06-18-15, 09:02 AM
arnaguedes

Bikes: Charge Duster Chromoly

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dakota 20 AA batteries and touch screen and small
Old 06-18-15, 05:41 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I think they run thru batteries pretty quick. Or my old Etrex did. I have the Garmin 800 now and I like it pretty well. Rechargeable and lasts a lot longer.

Old 06-18-15, 05:42 PM
mozad655

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have looked at all the models that you guys mentioned. They seem to do the job. I'm just wondering if you can download unlimited OSM on them all?
Old 06-18-15, 06:27 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have looked at all the models that you guys mentioned. They seem to do the job. I'm just wondering if you can download unlimited OSM on them all?
i ran OSM on my eTrex20 for awhile, but I prefer Topo as most riding I do these days if on / off / mixed.
Old 06-18-15, 11:28 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1921 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
Any reason why your phone wouldn't work? You will need a phone anyway, and it's one less device to worry about. There are AA battery powered phone chargers available, if you insist against lithium ion.
Old 06-19-15, 01:58 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
I bought a Garmin etrex 20 + maps for Europe but found operating it as a navigation tool beyond my abilities. It'll tell you where you are and it's nice to watch your progress on the screen but planning a route or finding my way to a desired destination was virtually impossible using the tiny screen.

It may be because I'm in the older age category.

On the 9 day tour I did in France at the beginning of June I left it at home and brought a map instead.
Old 06-19-15, 02:33 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
However, there are no GPS units out there created for cyclist that use AA batteries and come with a large bright screens like one would use in a car. You can atach a car GPS to your handlebar and carry an external battery. The Montana is just way too expensive at the moment to even think about.
Attaching a car GPS to a bicycle is a horrible idea, they simply do not play nice when it rains because they are not one bit waterproof unless you get the units built for motorcycles. Plus they are much more wasteful on energy then a handheld unit.

Any Oregon series, Montana, Monterra, Etrex 20/30, or Dakota 20 will do what you want. Will auto-route, maps (free or paid).
Old 06-19-15, 02:43 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I keep my iPhone in a transparent map case on top of my handlebar bag. It is running the tomtom app which makes great bicycle routes and shows a big fat turn arrow as I approach them.
Old 06-19-15, 05:03 PM
mozad655

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Any reason why your phone wouldn't work? You will need a phone anyway, and it's one less device to worry about. There are AA battery powered phone chargers available, if you insist against lithium ion.
I have considered that option and decided not to go in that direction, for a number of reasons. 1. I don't have a smartphone. I have one of the old phones with no cameras and colour. (Battery life is a month). I think smartphones are expensive and very power consuming so you would need a power source on the road. This means buying dynamo hubs, installing, power cords and all that kind of stuff. Its too complicated for me. The option of powering them with AA battery seems interesting, but I doubt it will work long term since smartphones use ridiculous amounts of electricity. How far will 2 AA batteries get a smartphone? I might be wrong

Last edited by mozad655; 06-19-15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 05:07 PM
mozad655

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caretaker
I bought a Garmin etrex 20 + maps for Europe but found operating it as a navigation tool beyond my abilities. It'll tell you where you are and it's nice to watch your progress on the screen but planning a route or finding my way to a desired destination was virtually impossible using the tiny screen.

It may be because I'm in the older age category.

On the 9 day tour I did in France at the beginning of June I left it at home and brought a map instead.
Thank you for sharing that. I was suspecting that too with the eTrex series. The screen does seem very small and I can't imagine navigating on a screen that isn't touch. Can I ask what maps you used? OSM or paid ones?
Old 06-19-15, 05:26 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1921 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
I have considered that option and decided not to go in that direction, for a number of reasons. 1. I don't have a smartphone. I have one of the old phones with no cameras and colour. (Battery life is a month). I think smartphones are expensive and very power consuming so you would need a power source on the road. This means buying dynamo hubs, installing, power cords and all that kind of stuff. Its too complicated for me. The option of powering them with AA battery seems interesting, but I doubt it will work long term since smartphones use ridiculous amounts of electricity. How far will 2 AA batteries get a smartphone? I might be wrong
Your concerns are reasonable. AA batteries don't go very far on phones. I usually keep mine turned off unless I'm lost. I use paper maps primarily. This way I make my phone last days between chargings. I use a lithium ion battery bank, which along with the phone itself, I top off whenever I stay at a hotel. Due to laundry requirements, this is usually every five days.
Old 06-20-15, 04:41 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Thank you for sharing that. I was suspecting that too with the eTrex series. The screen does seem very small and I can't imagine navigating on a screen that isn't touch. Can I ask what maps you used? OSM or paid ones?
Paid, Garmin City Navigator Europe (covers all of Europe).
Old 06-20-15, 12:18 PM
cymro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hike as well as bike and have a Garmin Monterra. Expensive, heavy for biking and goes through battery power (can also use AA's). I have topo maps and City Navigator so that routable tracks can be created. It is also easy to read with my aging eyes!

When I have the money I plan to get an Edge 1000 which I understand I can use my topo software with. Ease of reading is important to me.

We travel for more than 6 months of the year in fairly remote areas so that mapping is important to me.
Old 06-20-15, 04:07 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I have loaded maps from these sites into Mapsource on my computer, then loaded them into my Garmin 62S with an extra micro SD memory card in it.

GPSFileDepot - maps4gps's Garmin Compatible Maps

Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap

I do not recall, I might have loaded maps from this site too?

OpenMapChest - Maps for Garmin GPS devices

On my bike handlebars I prefer an old Etrex Legend that does not do routing, but sometimes I use my 62S (in photo) that is capable of routing. But it does not speak like a car GPS.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP1772.jpg (68.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 06-20-15 at 04:15 PM.