Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for the Right Road Bike - Narrowed Down to Three

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Looking for the Right Road Bike - Narrowed Down to Three

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 11:41 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Save your $500-600 on the conversion and go with a new/used bike instead. One bike can't do what two bikes can--take on paved/gravel roads, go off road, single track, etc. The conversion is not worth the money.

Better yet, look for a used bike, especially if you say you are mechanically inclined. You will get great value for you money in the used market.
yup, this.

find a "style" you like, test ride some, hit craigslist and be ready to jump when you find the "one". $1000 budget gets you a LOT of used road bike.
Old 03-21-17, 12:25 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mphilleo
105 components, nice, looks great. I also saw they have a steel cyclocross bike, but at that point I'm within spitting distance of a Salsa Vaya, which would net me some LBS support.
There's also a touring version with racks, and an alum cross bike within your price range. I totally understand wanting to support your LBS, but when going for bang for your buck under $1k, you are best served buying online and then roping your LBS in for assembly and adjustment.
Old 03-21-17, 02:54 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by bonz50
yup, this.

find a "style" you like, test ride some, hit craigslist and be ready to jump when you find the "one". $1000 budget gets you a LOT of used road bike.
I know the OP isn't looking for a pure road bike, but as a couple of examples of how much bike you can get for $1000, the past week I came across these listings:

2012 Rocky Mt Solo full carbon with 6700 and FSA carbon crankset, in my size! $750CAD, and this was on the market for a good week, so perhaps could have gotten a deal for six and change. Didn't pursue it because I need another road bike like I need a sixth digit.

2007 Spec Tarmac with full 7800, asking $500CAD. I might have pursued it if it had been in my size, but it was gone within a day.

Point is that if you are patient you can get some really good deals on the used market, though I will admit that there aren't quite as many cx bikes as there road bikes.
Old 03-22-17, 07:47 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I know the OP isn't looking for a pure road bike, but as a couple of examples of how much bike you can get for $1000, the past week I came across these listings:

2012 Rocky Mt Solo full carbon with 6700 and FSA carbon crankset, in my size! $750CAD, and this was on the market for a good week, so perhaps could have gotten a deal for six and change. Didn't pursue it because I need another road bike like I need a sixth digit.

2007 Spec Tarmac with full 7800, asking $500CAD. I might have pursued it if it had been in my size, but it was gone within a day.

Point is that if you are patient you can get some really good deals on the used market, though I will admit that there aren't quite as many cx bikes as there road bikes.
agreed

I bought my 2013 Synapse 4 as a two and a half year old used bike for $1000, great deal. and there's always deals out there like that, just be patient and be ready.
Old 03-22-17, 09:01 AM
mphilleo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good food for thought here. I've considered the 2nd hand market first, but being North Dakota, biking is still a pretty niche hobby unfortunately. Most bikes for sale aren't very good quality and don't fit guys who are 6'3" like myself. Still, I have been looking on CL and locally. I'd have to drive almost 200 miles to Fargo to get into a better market.

I'm still open into a build-your-own, but I'd really like to find something with less aggressive geometry like a Vaya or Sequoia, so if anyone has suggestions from Nashbar, Bikes Direct, Bike Island, etc, that might fit the bill, I'd be all ears. I want to say, I'm SUPER reluctant to spend $1k+ on a bike, no matter how good it is. The value has to be there for me. I don't mind spending money if I know it's worthwhile. I'm probably going to start a separate thread that more specifically addresses this. I just want to say I'm not ignoring all the good feedback, just trying to work with what's available to me here on the frozen tundra.