Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

why in the world would you buy SRAM?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-17, 08:00 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so I'm a shimano guy, and I have had lots of fun with microshift and sunrace products mated to my shimano drivetrains.

I have been doing more and more work lately, and some SRAM doubletap stuff has come across my workstand . . .

TERRIBLE

expensive, finicky, not intuitive to adjust, no FD trim (resulting in mega chain rub even 2-3 cogs in), and doubletap has to be the worst designed levers I've ever seen . . . long throw, touchy so you're always missing gears, the ergonomics of the hoods are weird and not human . . . I could go on.

why does anyone like this crap? shimano and shimano compatible sunrace/microsift/etc. parts are cheaper, easier to fit, more intuitive, and except at the extremely high end just as lightweight. what gives?

more important, why can't SRAM get it together, IMO?
Old 06-10-17, 08:13 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I had a neighbor with an old Jaguar; expensive, finicky, not intuitive to adjust, Lucas electrics(eek!), but he loved it. De gustibus non est disputandum.
Old 06-10-17, 08:13 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
SRAM developed the "Doubletap" shifting system because Shimano and Campy had all of the better configurations locked up with patents and, obviously, were't willing to license their designs. It was a design of necessity, not choice.
Old 06-10-17, 08:16 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
De gustibus non est disputandum.
sounds like something my father would say and he couldn't have said it better. fair enough.
Old 06-10-17, 08:21 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
SRAM developed the "Doubletap" shifting system because Shimano and Campy had all of the better configurations locked up with patents and, obviously, were't willing to license their designs. It was a design of necessity, not choice.
I'll give this to sram - some fo their logarithmic cassette designs, especially in 10 and 11 spd, are interesting, and provide novel choices of ratio. also their road RDs seem rather robust compared to shimano (although less precise, and on road bikes this is presumably a non-issue). as far as chains go, they're just stupid, KMC and shimano are better and cheaper and IME wear longer, although I do use KMC or SRAM quicklinks on my shimano chains. the DRs are not appreciably lighters, and aren't compatible with shimano stuff, and they are more expensive, sometimes by a significant amount. that's just flat out poor market positioning.

and if you say it's because shimano has all the patents, then why can companies like microshift make totally novel, and interesting, and functional, and cheap parts, that have good ergo and good durability, and are totally shimano compatible, but SRAM can't?
Old 06-10-17, 08:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hell I haven't needed to "upgrade" in decades, I jumped ship from derailleurs, to IGH..
I leave the trend following to you youngsters..

Latest bike deal ; a Used Bike Friday Tikit with a , yes, SRAM i9 , 9 speed close ratio IGH, grip shifter..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-10-17 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 08:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you're in the select few who are looking for 1X, SRAM is really the only choice. Apex and Rival are inexpensive, and work fantastically well. The Rival 1 RD is light years ahead of Shimano in handling big cogs. As a longtime Shimano user, I thought DoubleTap was going to be finicky, but as of today I have zero complaints.

And at least in my limited case, the SRAM setup was significantly cheaper than a comparable Shimano group.
Old 06-10-17, 09:13 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I have limited exposure to SRAM gear, but I don't find it inferior to Shimano. There are pros and cons, many of which are simply a matter of preference.

Trim is accounted for, either via lever functionality or Yaw.

I actually prefer SRAM lever ergonomics to Shimano, although Campagnolo ErgoPower levers are my favorite.

...but whatever floats your boat. Campy, Shimano, and SRAM all make good stuff. Pick what works best for you.
Old 06-10-17, 10:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I would think the first gen (8 spd) ergopower patents would have expired by now. Sachs? I'm sure there are new second and third gen brifters are patented, but the original first gen mechanisms could be copied and improved upon.

Actually, SRAM owns Sachs, so they should have access to any Sachs technology including their shifters (unless they were licensed copies).

So far, I've used a couple of Shimano shifters, Microshift, and Campy. I haven't tried SRAM shifters, in part because of the double tap. I do use SRAM ferrules.

If SRAM made a 10/24 cassette, I'd love to try it out.
Old 06-10-17, 10:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If you're in the select few who are looking for 1X, SRAM is really the only choice. Apex and Rival are inexpensive, and work fantastically well. The Rival 1 RD is light years ahead of Shimano in handling big cogs. As a longtime Shimano user, I thought DoubleTap was going to be finicky, but as of today I have zero complaints.

And at least in my limited case, the SRAM setup was significantly cheaper than a comparable Shimano group.
Microshift also sells a blank left brake lever, although I don't think they have as complete of a product line as SRAM.
Old 06-10-17, 10:12 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Why would anyone want to have to use a brake lever to shift? Dumbest design ever thought of.

Truthfully I have SRAM force on one bike and Di2 on another and I like them both and never a problem adjusting the SRAM equipt bike.
Old 06-10-17, 10:20 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

^ Same here. I like the double tap and haven't had one problem, the quality is very good - and I also have Ultegra. I have never used a SRAM front derailleur so cannot comment on that.
Old 06-10-17, 10:21 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
SRAM had used a better, longer cable pull for RDs for ages. Shimano "discovered" it with 10+ speed MTBs and newer (as of Tiagra 4700) 10+ speed road systems. Until then, SRAM was better for that at least - less troubled by derailleur housing and cable imperfections. They still are for systems with up to 10 speeds IMO. Though even Shimano 8 speed and below has enough space between adjacent cogs and enough cable movement, in spite of the same RD movement ratio, for that not to pose a problem. 9 speed being borderline, while (old road) 10 speed being the worst system for that reason.

However, Shimano is still the easiest to source parts where I live, so I stick to it for better or worse.
Old 06-10-17, 10:44 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
Cuz it's better.
Old 06-10-17, 10:53 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I try to stay away from dogmas and pick and choose and adapt components to fit my needs. For derailleurs I tend to go with Shimano, as sturdier, but for the main bike I tweak them. For shifters I tend to go with Gripshift because I find them more intuitive and versatile. I can overshift, if I need to, and can constantly toggle between two gears, if I want to. Again, I tweak them to my needs on the main bike, making them skip microshifts I do not use.
Old 06-10-17, 11:48 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I know some mountain bikers who love SRAM's higher end gripshift for a 1X setup. I have not used them, but I can see how it could be a lot quicker to dump gears in massive terrain changes. I use Shimano rapid rise with triggers for the same reason.

John
Old 06-11-17, 12:38 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
and some SRAM doubletap stuff has come across my workstand . . .

TERRIBLE
Ham-fisted, poor mechanical skills?

expensive,
Because quality is notably higher.

finicky,
Nope.

not intuitive to adjust,
False, adjusts the same way as any other equipment.

no FD trim
A direct lie?

(resulting in mega chain rub even 2-3 cogs in)

and doubletap has to be the worst designed levers I've ever seen
Quite the opposite, DoubleTap is a must.

touchy so you're always missing gears

, the ergonomics of the hoods are weird and not human . . . I could go on.
Troll alert?

more important, why can't SRAM get it together, IMO?
Huh? SRAM rules it all. Shimano is just... well... cheaper and inferior alternative.
Old 06-11-17, 01:48 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I dunno about SRAM's other stuff, but I am fairly pleased with their chains. Any of the models with chrome-hardened pins just last and last.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-11-17, 07:06 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I dunno about SRAM's other stuff, but I am fairly pleased with their chains. Any of the models with chrome-hardened pins just last and last.
I have to agree about the chains. I can not remember anyone complaining about working on or using SRAM equipment. I have heard a couple of comments regarding the double tap shifting requiring some practice to use intuitively, but not a problem per se.

Brad
Old 06-11-17, 08:01 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My Apex has trim on the FD. IMO, working on both Shimano and SRAM day in and day out, once you get above the super cheap 6, 7, and low end 8 speed stuff, they are pretty interchangeable. SRAM uses a bit more plastic than I like, but I love how solid the brake lever feel is on my Apex bike. You aren't upset at SRAM for the right reasons, though. They just can't compete with Shimano when it comes to hydraulic disc brakes. From the Avid days to today, they just can't get their stuff together and make a decent brake. If it's not porous magnesium, it's the crappy coating they put on the magnesium to keep it from seeping through flaking off because they didn't alter any dimensions to account for the coating. And if the crappy plastic lever internals aren't so loose they blow seals regularly, then they're too tight and seize in their bores when the master cylinder gets hot from being in the sun. And why do they continue to use DOT fluid?! GAH!!
Old 06-11-17, 08:40 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
My Red and Rival 10 spd both have trim on the front derailleur. I prefer the hoods on both over Shimano. Double Tap is far superior to swinging the brake lever on a Shimano brifter to change gears.
The ridiculous cable tension required to make the front derailleur function on current Shimano is absurd. Using a little plastic gauge to determine how to attach the cable to begin with??
The current crop of Shimano Road cranksets are the ugliest design I've seen. There are very few bikes out there where it even begins to look like it belongs.

No thanks for Shimano Road. I will keep my SRAM.
Old 06-11-17, 08:51 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
WTF is going on with that acronym, and HTH do you pronounce it?

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
SRAM is an acronym comprising the names of its founders, Scott, Ray, and Sam, (where Ray is the middle name of company head Stan Day).
(My only genuine objection to them is their hydraulic brakes.)
Old 06-11-17, 10:11 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
WTF is going on with that acronym, and HTH do you pronounce it?
Can't help you with the WTF part, but the YouTube video below demonstrates the pronunciation. (The "SR" is pronounced like Sri Lanka. The "AM" is like ample.)

Old 06-11-17, 10:19 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Also... Wth is the deal with strawberry ice cream? There's chocolate and vanilla and that ought to be good enough for everybody.
Old 06-11-17, 11:18 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Also... Wth is the deal with strawberry ice cream? There's chocolate and vanilla and that ought to be good enough for everybody.
Right...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.