Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

It must be CX season again . . .

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 02:16 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My riding buddies have all disappeared. I'm down to like 2 or 3 regular roadies who still want to ride pavement, and it's only September! There is one high profile shop here that crams CX down everyone's throat to the point that people who don't even ride are buying these things, and my strava and facebook feed is nothing but people riding drop bars on the grass. This started over a month ago, and has reached a fever pitch, and the leaves haven't even begun to turn. It's absolutely obnoxious, and what's worse, is that if you dare say CX is wildly stupid or uninteresting (they hold CX practice in a public park and literally ride circles on the grass) you're instantly a pariah.

I have to hand it to the shop, they have created a high dollar market out of thin air, and are selling (and servicing) a ton of bikes to people who have no use for them whatsoever. With that said, am I the only one flustered by the fact that literally the entire cycling world seems to have lost it's mind?
Old 09-13-17, 02:19 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Seriously. When you think the the whole world has lost their mind, and you're only sane one around..... while it is entirely possible that you are in 1939 Nazi Germany and everyone around you has all lost their minds (or at least their will to speak their minds) and you are the only sane one left... hmm hold on. Even then. I mean just try speaking your sane mind and see what happens. Maybe even then they are more sane than you are because they know what will happen if they speak out?

But really, which is more likely? You're some kind of genius savant sent to save us from ourselves? Or that you're just the 1 sent to prove the other 4 right?
Old 09-13-17, 02:29 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
they hold CX practice in a public park and literally ride circles on the grass
Tell them to get off your lawn!!!
At least they didn't switch over to doing freestyle in the skate park like the other jobless hippies.

Last edited by u235; 09-13-17 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 02:32 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Cross is the future of road cycling.
Old 09-13-17, 03:18 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by ypsetihw
With that said, am I the only one flustered by the fact that literally the entire cycling world seems to have lost it's mind?
sounds like someone's never gotten his bike dirty. try it, you might like it. or look at it this way -- there are fewer pylons on the bike path....
Old 09-13-17, 04:19 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I really want one of these; https://images.velochannel.com/2017/0...TERRA-M30D.jpg in SRAM Flavor.
Old 09-13-17, 04:26 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Seems like a MUCH more fun, and realistic way to race bikes. In the US at least.
Old 09-13-17, 04:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Fretting over how other people enjoy bicycling is the future of road cycling.

That said, any sport that involves getting off a perfectly good bicycle to carry it uphill doesn't sound like fun. To me.

/lawn
Old 09-13-17, 06:16 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Just now got back from CX practice.

CX is awesome.

Roadies don't even get off their bikes to run and jump obstacles; they are barely above triathletes with their bike handling skills.
Old 09-13-17, 06:39 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by RJM
Just now got back from CX practice.

CX is awesome.

Roadies don't even get off their bikes to run and jump obstacles; they are barely above triathletes with their bike handling skills.
Tri-athletes mount/dismount mid race. I think that puts them above roadies
Old 09-13-17, 07:58 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
sounds like someone's never gotten his bike dirty. try it, you might like it. or look at it this way -- there are fewer pylons on the bike path....
fair, I have gotten my bike dirty and I hate it, because I actually clean it, and it's a huge pain in the ass. there is no reason to get a perfectly tuned drivetrain muddy, ever. I eat plenty of bacon and drink more than enough beer as is, without messing up my bike or my knees.
Old 09-13-17, 08:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
With that said, am I the only one flustered by the fact that literally the entire cycling world seems to have lost it's mind?
I havent ever done CX, but it looks interesting. I llve me some gravel and single track though so i get the appealing parts of CX.

If you are alone, then has everyone else lost their minds or...
Old 09-13-17, 08:09 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
I really want one of these; https://images.velochannel.com/2017/0...TERRA-M30D.jpg in SRAM Flavor.
that there is a pretty bike, and I never said I didn't like cross bikes, in fact I think they are wildly useful. I don't think cross is the future of road cycling, but cross style bikes might be.
Old 09-13-17, 08:09 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13713 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,506 Posts
My riding buddies have all disappeared. I'm down to like 2 or 3 regular roadies who still want to ride pavement, and it's only September! There is one high profile shop here that crams CX down everyone's throat to the point that people who don't even ride are buying these things, and my strava and facebook feed is nothing but people riding drop bars on the grass. This started over a month ago, and has reached a fever pitch, and the leaves haven't even begun to turn. It's absolutely obnoxious, and what's worse, is that if you dare say CX is wildly stupid or uninteresting (they hold CX practice in a public park and literally ride circles on the grass) you're instantly a pariah.

I have to hand it to the shop, they have created a high dollar market out of thin air, and are selling (and servicing) a ton of bikes to people who have no use for them whatsoever. With that said, am I the only one flustered by the fact that literally the entire cycling world seems to have lost it's mind?
Old 09-13-17, 08:10 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I havent ever done CX, but it looks interesting. I llve me some gravel and single track though so i get the appealing parts of CX.

If you are alone, then has everyone else lost their minds or...
I actually find trail/single track riding on a fixed drop bar bike appealing. but that's not cross. maybe I'm more drawn to "gravel" type riding.
Old 09-13-17, 08:12 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
troll level: elite
Old 09-13-17, 08:21 PM
ypsetihw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Fretting over how other people enjoy bicycling is the future of road cycling.

That said, any sport that involves getting off a perfectly good bicycle to carry it uphill doesn't sound like fun. To me.

/lawn
First of all, this is the road cycling forum, so I had hoped to find like minded individuals here. Secondly, while many people I know were sloppily and slowly riding bikes on a lawn this evening at "cross practice" I was replacing the brakes and tuning my modernized steel roadie that I ride all year long, particularly in the winter when the garbage roads and salt make me not want to ride my nice bike outside. Fenders, wide tire clearance, 8 speed 12-32 48/36 super compact crankset, slack geometry, high BB, brifters, drop bars spd mountain pedals and shoes . . .

I basically built a cross bike and I still don't see the appeal. I think part of the issue is that the shop that promotes cross so heavily in our local scene has a very "our way or the highway" mentality, and if you don't conform to what season they say it is, you're out of the cool kids zone. At the same time, every jackass who ponies up $300 for branded kit and pays who knows how much for their cross and mountain bikes, gets high-fived and coddled and coached and whatever else.

Ironically, in the local club racing scene, their team SUCKS. Not surprising given that the only prerequisite to riding for them is buying outrageously expensive branded kit and bikes from the shop.
Old 09-14-17, 04:40 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm aware it's a thing, and have a CX bike, but not so I can ride around in circles on the grass, and I don't know many who do. Although I appreciate the idea of being able to ride across an un-tracked landscape, what bothers me more than losing the occasional company of a couple of regular riding mates is the idea of masses of CX riders messing up a nice park lawn.
...I think part of the issue is that the shop that promotes cross so heavily in our local scene has a very "our way or the highway" mentality, and if you don't conform to what season they say it is, you're out of the cool kids zone. At the same time, every jackass who ponies up $300 for branded kit and pays who knows how much for their cross and mountain bikes, gets high-fived and coddled and coached and whatever else.

Ironically, in the local club racing scene, their team SUCKS. Not surprising given that the only prerequisite to riding for them is buying outrageously expensive branded kit and bikes from the shop.
You say these people "have no use for" CX bikes, but evidently they do. It's funny how cycling is like religion sometimes.... I wouldn't deny the phenomenon you describe, but I wouldn't get so worked up about it. Aren't there any other shops in your town, maybe one that will give you a high-five for keeping your drivetrain clean?
Old 09-14-17, 04:53 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
gravel riders are cooler

just accept it
Old 09-14-17, 05:43 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
lol.

How did your first CX race go, man?
Old 09-14-17, 06:10 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seems like a MUCH more fun, and realistic way to race bikes. In the US at least.
This was the appeal for me. A criterion race sounds fun to me, but crashing at 30mph on pavement and breaking my collarbone doesn't.

With Cross, I can (and nearly did) crash on every lap in the grass at 10-15mph and jump up and keep going, no damage to me or the bike.

Still, even as a recent adopter of cyckocross racing, it sounds like your area gets too fixated on seasons and gear. In my area, the 1-2 of us who race cx still show up for our weekly road rides. I don't know why they wouldn't...it's still good for keeping fitness up.

I didn't even buy a new bike to start racing, I'm using my road bike with 30mm cross tires, And I wouldn't hesitate to take it mountain biking with friends who aren't serious mountain bikers, since I'm pretty sure my bike fitness would more than make up for their more mountain-specific bikes.
Old 09-14-17, 06:11 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
I'm aware it's a thing, and have a CX bike, but not so I can ride around in circles on the grass, and I don't know many who do. Although I appreciate the idea of being able to ride across an un-tracked landscape, what bothers me more than losing the occasional company of a couple of regular riding mates is the idea of masses of CX riders messing up a nice park lawn.

You say these people "have no use for" CX bikes, but evidently they do. It's funny how cycling is like religion sometimes.... I wouldn't deny the phenomenon you describe, but I wouldn't get so worked up about it. Aren't there any other shops in your town, maybe one that will give you a high-five for keeping your drivetrain clean?
It has been shown that areas where they ride CX races come back better than before. As long as it wasn't muddy you will never know anything happened a few days later. Even if it is muddy it will come back just fine. Nationals were here in Hartford this year and you would never know it happened

And if you are multi-time world champion you don't always have to get off your bike.
Old 09-14-17, 06:25 AM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by Jakedatc
It has been shown that areas where they ride CX races come back better than before. As long as it wasn't muddy you will never know anything happened a few days later. Even if it is muddy it will come back just fine. Nationals were here in Hartford this year and you would never know it happened

And if you are multi-time world champion you don't always have to get off your bike.
https://youtu.be/zHYZcYlj9Wk?t=18s
I was in that race over the weekend
Old 09-14-17, 06:30 AM
Abe_Froman

Originally Posted by RJM
lol.

How did your first CX race go, man?
It was an absolute blast. I think I got a stick or rock caught in the frame; had to stop and take out my back wheel midway through the first lap...the whole field passed me lol. Still, I ended up passing about 20 people or so, finished 99/125. And the rear wheel I'd just rebuilt myself remained straight as an arrow, so all things considered, I'm very happy haha. Didn't even put the bike down once .

I was surprised at how exausted I was...I had plenty of power to get up the steepest hills some people walked...but man I was gassed after 1 lap. I really need to work on cardio if I'm going to keep doing this.
Old 09-14-17, 06:32 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Did you ride the curb up the stairs Abe? that is a sick move to even think of. But hey.. why would anyone want to ride CX.. it's not fun at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.