Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Swapping drive train

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Swapping drive train

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 12:56 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Swapping drive train

I have a problem I'm hoping you guys could help with. I have a Cannondale Trail 7 29er. I was kinda clueless when I bought it and was told I could justupgeadewhen I wanted . Lately I have been riding bikes at work, they have the sram 1×12 gx..wow those are pretty slick bikes. I wanted to switch mine over to the sram nx or go 1×12 but was told by the lbs that sold me the bike thati couldn't due to it not being a boost frame??? And also my hub wouldn't do the 1x...is this right or wrong, would it just benefit me looking for a better frame to build on?
Old 03-26-20, 01:45 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
You probably have a shimano freehub which isn't compatible with 12 speed SRAM GX, that requires a Sram Driver hub. What you can do, if you want is most likely upgrade to a Shimano 11 speed XT drivetrain. That will allow you to go 1X and save you a bunch of cash compared to SRAM. I've got both 11 speed Shimano & 12 speed GX bikes. 12 speed GX only benefit is the 50t rear cog compared to the 46 on shimano. The shimano shift's better as well.

In terms of going 1X, shouldn't be an issue if your crank can accept bolt on chain rings. Another option is upgrading your crank and BB to a shimano SLX setup.
Old 03-26-20, 02:06 PM
Chad991

Actually,that is good news, I like shimano too. I was going g to buy the package kinda like this

This group? Deore XT
Old 03-26-20, 05:43 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad991
Actually,that is good news, I like shimano too. I was going g to buy the package kinda like this

This group? Deore XT
you can probably reuse the crank, unless you like matchy-matchy
Old 03-26-20, 05:46 PM
Chad991

And with shimano,I won't have to muck with the hub?
Old 03-27-20, 03:27 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
you can probably reuse the crank, unless you like matchy-matchy
What I know about the 1x thing you can put in a thimble. But aren't the 1x chainring teeth different than the standard 2x, 3x versions? Different inasmuch that they're designed to help keep the chain on?
Old 03-27-20, 04:16 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
What I know about the 1x thing you can put in a thimble. But aren't the 1x chainring teeth different than the standard 2x, 3x versions? Different inasmuch that they're designed to help keep the chain on?
I have about the same amount of drive train knowledge, and I am aware of a "narrow-wide" protocol in the 1x version that prevents interchange of chains and chain rings from 1x to 2x or 3x.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 03-27-20, 05:23 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by nomadmax
good point, a NW chainring will still be cheaper than a new crank and BB.
You could even experiment with oval rings if that's your thing. I have one bike with an oval ring, and I like it, but not enough to switch all my bikes over.
Between clutch derailleurs and the NW, x-shifting and drop chains have been almost non-existent for me. I don't miss the extra gear ratios and hate some jumps, but for MTBs can deal with it. Though, I personally don't get road/gravel bikes with the 1x. I'm too picky with the right cadence over long periods to have only 11 or 12 choices. 2x furever for 700c...
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 03-27-20, 05:26 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
I have about the same amount of drive train knowledge, and I am aware of a "narrow-wide" protocol in the 1x version that prevents interchange of chains and chain rings from 1x to 2x or 3x.
btw: good to see a fellow pocket llama owner. The BF is with my brother at the moment, for packables, currently riding a Airnamal Joey. /thread steal
Old 03-27-20, 10:47 AM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
12 speed will work fine you just have to run a cassette like Sunrace's 11-50 12 speed cassette that still use the standard freehub.
Old 03-27-20, 03:54 PM
Chad991

Well thanks all for the good news, I am going to go with the shimano like others have suggested...probably order the build kit I posted above and enlist Nomadmax to run point on putting it together for me,lol....I'm not nearly the bicyclists most of you guys are and I doubt I would ever notice the difference between an 11 or 12 speed out in the dirt.
Likes For Chad991: