Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Why doesn't this exist?

Old 11-19-20, 10:58 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I'm not getting the large tire size requirement, especially the 2.0/55 mm slick for a group road ride. I would not want that large a tire for that type of riding, 32mm would be tops. At some point you fight the weight of the tire and 2.0 is a heavy tire and would certainly defeat the purpose of saving weight with a carbon frame.

As well, I'm not seeing a 2.4/60mm tire on a gravel ride that is replacing a mt. bike ?. I think you'd be missing things like a flat bar and front suspension once you try to take a drop bar bike into terrain that is overly technical, which is why you want 2.4" ?.

I'd stick to gravel riding with the built-for-that-purpose bike. 45mm tires tops and then you've got a ton of frame options. I too would skip carbon, I could see Ti for durability and for a build up from a frame I'd look at a Habanero disc. It'll take a 44 mm tire.
Old 11-19-20, 12:27 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Nice, I can get a pre-rusted drivetrain!
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-20-20, 08:38 AM
UberIM

Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Continued great advice/thoughts
Steve B. love your quote. yes. wind is the worst.
Old 11-20-20, 12:25 PM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'm looking at the Rawland ULV for this.... drop bar, space for 650b x 3.0 tires, lots of bikepacking mounts. After riding my gravel bike (Diverge with 650x2.1" tires/ or 700 x 44 Byways) I find I don't enjoy my trail MTB anymore. Always been a fan of drop bars over flat.
Old 11-21-20, 03:07 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I’d be careful about getting a HT MTB with the plan to do a drop bar conversion. Modern MTBs are longer in the top tube than they used to be, and much longer than frames designed for drop bars.
Correct. So the crux is working with frame geometries and knowing which frames fit a person and how and then ordering the right frame size to make the conversion work. Most of us can all fit onto more than one frame size on most bikes. In order to convert one simply takes the smaller frame and runs the numbers and sees where they sit.

With sites today one can easily compare geometries and find a bike that fits their own personal fit and that would work for a conversion. I never argued that any bike would work only that it is not so difficult to do as many might think AND one can always change back if they do not like the new ride. It's certainly not for everyone as most people cannot figure out a proper fit whatsoever and I mean people in the industry that sell the damn bikes, not just the users.

Mtn bike geometry has changed so much in 30 years that it has now come back full circle to where it was when it first began. All this 'new' slack geometry is exactly where it all started back in late 70's.
Old 11-21-20, 05:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel

Mtn bike geometry has changed so much in 30 years that it has now come back full circle to where it was when it first began. All this 'new' slack geometry is exactly where it all started back in late 70's.
I don’t know about that. Set tube angles are steeper and frame reach measurements longer than they were 30 years ago.
Old 11-21-20, 05:12 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I don’t know about that. Set tube angles are steeper and frame reach measurements longer than they were 30 years ago.
You are correct in that you do not know.

Both in wheel size and actual geometry, the entire industry is in its second rotation of the circle with regard to mountain biking.
Old 11-21-20, 09:08 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
You are correct in that you do not know.

Both in wheel size and actual geometry, the entire industry is in its second rotation of the circle with regard to mountain biking.
This is not correct. MTB geo and wheel size is most certainly not circling back to 30 years ago. Or to the late 70s.

Show me all the MTBs from these times with 29” wheels, 76-77 degree Seat Tube Angle, 65-66degree Head Tube Angle, ~450 mm frame reach and 24” ett for a size med. Because that is where most new MtBs are at these days.

The only mtbs these days that look a bit like 1990s geo are XC racing bikes, but that is not a return to anything, they just never changed much over that time. But this is still different from what you find in the late 70s.

Apologies for the thread derailment.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-22-20 at 10:29 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-21-20, 11:01 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
No it isn't. The Repack klunkerz, and the pre-Norba MTBs that they inspired, are basically beach cruiser geo. As such, they're designed around a far more reclined posture than modern MTBs: the most obvious indicators of this are the vastly shorter front-centers and absolutely huge rear-centers, along with the extremely slack seat angles. It's really a totally different animal. If you try fitting one of those old bikes like a modern MTB, you'll feel really pitched forward.

The 1980 headtube angles might look mundane in 2020, but that's about it.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 11-23-20, 02:37 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Not carbon, but steel. Black Mtn. Cycles is working on a frame that would meet qualifications on tire size.

La Cabra - https://blackmtncycles.com/frames/la-cabra-frames/
Old 11-27-20, 01:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The reason you are getting “drop bar MTB” suggestions and not “fat tire road” is the tires vs. the drivetrain. In order to fit a 2x11 road drive train with the derailleur cable pull to match brifters, the chain line and Q factor limits the tire size. There might also be brake cable pull or mounting issues. Everything associated with 2.5 tires is heavy duty MTB stuff. There are bikes like this, they have been mentioned. But it’s a smaller niche.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-27-20 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-16-20, 09:01 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The Open WIDE might be a consideration, but to fit their 2.4" tire capability they had to limit it to 1x for the needed clearance between tire and chainring.
OPEN - WI.DE. (opencycle.com)
Old 01-28-21, 01:10 PM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Here's the finished build - Rawland ULV frame- 27.5 x 2.8" Schwalbe Allround tires, combo of GRX and XT components.

Likes For doubravsky: