Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Triathlon training on a Brooks Carved C17?

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-20, 09:45 PM
TonyMTL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey again, so those who missed my previous threads, I’m a beginner and I have a road bike that I mounted similar to a Tri-bike, training between 30k to 100k rides, ranging from fast paced aero position to medium pace “hoods” position endurance rides.

Now I am often practicing my aero-tuck position and my saddle hurts my balls very quickly when I get into that position (sorry for the term).

Everything else is fine, my legs feel ok, my butt too, my back too, etc.

I use a Fizik Antares VS X Saddle (has a deep channel in the middle and frankly the only comfy saddle I have found so far).

My question is: have ANY of you ever used a Brooks C15 Carved saddle in training? I tried my friend’s C15 on a short distance and it’s probably the most comfy saddle I have ever tried. I know it’s heavy but would it be decent for training? Or should I get a Selle SMP or ISM to protect my balls from getting squished?

or should I just get more flexible and round my back more?
Old 08-04-20, 08:40 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
IMO comfort is more important. Aero/efficient positioning is useless if you're so uncomfortable to ride.

Dan
Old 11-04-20, 07:39 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Why are you putting any weight on the top of the saddle instead of into the pedals?
Old 11-04-20, 08:33 AM
TonyMTL

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
Why are you putting any weight on the top of the saddle instead of into the pedals?
If I was able not to put ANY weight on the saddle, I’d remove it and the seatpost completely.
Old 11-04-20, 04:11 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyMTL
If I was able not to put ANY weight on the saddle, I’d remove it and the seatpost completely.
I wouldn’t. It’s really a wonderful thing to use the sides of it to control the angle of the frame and be just barely touching the top of the saddle with your soft bits to read the road’s texture while just hammering on the pedals and having your hands merely guiding the front end around. Is your saddle too high for you to hover while cranking?
Old 11-04-20, 04:22 PM
TonyMTL

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
I wouldn’t. It’s really a wonderful thing to use the sides of it to control the angle of the frame and be just barely touching the top of the saddle with your soft bits to read the road’s texture while just hammering on the pedals and having your hands merely guiding the front end around. Is your saddle too high for you to hover while cranking?
I was just exaggerating haha. But indeed I agree, I often do it but I’m not experienced enough to stay in that position for say, 20 minutes straight, muscle fatigue seems to get the best of me before that so I have to sit on the saddle for al least half of my ride.
Old 12-27-20, 07:10 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
I have Brooks saddles on some of my road bikes, Two of my bikes have the C15 Carved. One has a C13. If you are considering a C13, be aware that it has thick composite rails that won't fit some seat clamps. I had a C17 Carved on my touring bike, but I switched it to a Selle Anatomica. I might switch it back as the Selle Anatomica seems to have sagged a bit.

On my triathlon bike, I have an ISM PN 1.1. It looks like a torture device, but it actually is fairly comfortable when on the aerobars.