Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Need for Basic Bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Need for Basic Bikes

Old 03-30-21, 09:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You keep employing this fallacy -- the idea that anyone who disagrees with you simply doesn't understand your argument.
Originally Posted by UniChris
​​​​​​
You're not "disagreeing" but simply ignoring the evidence.
Thanks for proving my point.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-30-21, 06:48 PM
glassman83
Jim

Bikes: '77 Super Le Tour, Bridgestone, Peugeot, ActionBent, Dahon, Trek, & always looking for another interesting bike!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I honestly think they're grade 300 bearings, which Wheels Manufacturing lists as Ultegra quality. We use them as replacements, lube them accordingly, and have few problems. Grade 25, which is Campy Record or Dura Ace rated, are more costly and will work better, but are overkill for most of our repairs.
Old 03-30-21, 08:11 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
So, we'll need a big-box-store kind of bike, only better quality, minus the unnecessary stuff like 3x cranks and suspension forks, assembled locally, for 200-300 dollars?
Yep. Keep in mind they do a bad version of this that actually has far more parts for $129 already

Will there be any profit in this enterprise to keep the investors happy?
They manage to find the $129 version worthwhile, considering the social benefits they could claim in an era when image is worth money, the $260 version is a plausible business proposition if it were done as part of the coordinated community effort already explained as key to shifting demand from garbage features to reliable transport. As already explained, just putting a solid no-frills bike on the floor at a budget price may not work absent the needed community-based user education.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-30-21 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-30-21, 08:15 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by glassman83
I honestly think they're grade 300 bearings, which Wheels Manufacturing lists as Ultegra quality. We use them as replacements, lube them accordingly, and have few problems. Grade 25, which is Campy Record or Dura Ace rated, are more costly and will work better, but are overkill for most of our repairs.
Decent bearings cost a little bit of money. But grinding serviceable ones don't cost that much more than pretend ones - it's a quite mature technology.

Most of the actual cost difference between good and bad is probably in supplier supervision and sample testing production lots to make sure they meet specs, vs. someone passing off garbage that used the wrong steel or heat treat because they know no one is looking - doing it right doesn't cost that much more, what's needed is to prevent cheating.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-31-21 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 04:49 AM
StargazeCyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
The fact that things laden with complex anti-features can be offered at half that price shows that something simpler to manufacture but sounder could be offered in the stated range.

Then there's the fact that they are made for use in other countries...
The problem is the Hell Mart don't think a good cheap bike would sell. They are regarding their stuff as toys (the same can be said for many LBS) and trying too hard to 'match' the features of more expensive products.

Working with inline sellers might be a more realistic approach.
Old 03-31-21, 04:57 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
The problem is the Hell Mart don't think a good cheap bike would sell. They are regarding their stuff as toys (the same can be said for many LBS) and trying too hard to 'match' the features of more expensive products.
Indeed, I've been clear throughout this that it's not really something the selling or buying side could do on their own. It would take a coordinated partnership to align the supply and demand through the same sorts of community resources needed to help users keep their bikes on the road.

The alternative is to keep tying up resources in short lived garbage - something were belatedly waking up to the fact that we need to move past in general. Doing that with bikes isn't particularly more evil than all the other ways industrial society does it so not by itself something to scream "the sky is falling" over. But just keeping on doing what we've always done because it's what our idea of business and consumerism is tuned to is an example of the kind of behaviour that's trashing the only planet we have.

Working with inline sellers might be a more realistic approach.
For a different market, perhaps, but the demographic with the greatest need for budget bikes doesnt have credit cards. That path probably becomes another $500 assembly required sight unseen gamble with the price kept high by extra features and/or the limited numbers - people have linked examples of such up the thread.

About the closest you could come to "online" for the need this thread was about would be a supplier that co-ops could order from down to quantity one in order to sell at minimal markup.

That still skips leveraging that the big boxes know how to get stuff made, imported and distributed and transitioning them from being half of the problem to eventually half of the solution.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-31-21 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 05:37 AM
Koyote

Indeed, I've been clear throughout this that it's not really something the selling or buying side could do on their own. It would take a coordinated partnership to align the supply and demand.
You really need to take a course in microeconomics and learn about this thing called “market capitalism.“
Old 03-31-21, 05:40 AM
UniChris

You really need to take a course in microeconomics and learn about this thing called “market capitalism.“
You really need to realize that doing what we've always done is becoming usustainable.

Or maybe you'll personally take your beliefs to the grave.

Our collective descendants are in trouble if thinking around making, selling, and trashing crap does not evolve.

The thing is, capitalism doesn't have to be the problem, small shifts of focus in a few places can get mechanisms running on a different track. It's pretty routine for industries to change track and supply and demand for things previously rare to become normal.
Old 03-31-21, 05:54 AM
Koyote

You really need to realize that doing what we've always done is becoming usustainable.

Or maybe you'll personally take your beliefs to the grave.
This is not about my beliefs.

Beyond that, I’m not going to try explaining this to you, because you have proved yourself to be supremely resistant to learning anything from anyone else in this thread.

When practically everyone disagrees with you, it might be time to stop and wonder, “Do I need to rethink my position?“ Yet you simply persist in believing that every single other person is wrong, too unintelligent to understand you, or not paying close enough attention.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-31-21, 06:01 AM
UniChris

Beyond that, I’m not going to try
Indeed, you've made it clearer than you can possibly realize, that you are not going to try to even think about the challenges society faces.

But why are you still posting in this thread, to which you've made it abundantly clear you have nothing to contribute?
​​​​
Old 03-31-21, 06:22 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Yep. Keep in mind they do a bad version of this that actually has far more parts for $129 already
Walmart can sell a bike for $129 and be happy with the two cents (or whatever) profit they make on it because they make up for it in volume; not just bikes but the countless other items the bike customer probably buys on the average Walmart visit. And that $129 price is only made achievable because Walmart has used its enormous influence to roughhouse every supplier in the chain to get the lowest price possible, from the rubber plantation in Brazil to the aluminum miners in Africa to the women and children on the assembly line in China.
Old 03-31-21, 06:24 AM
UniChris

...which is exactly why they're in position to be able to do a better, simpler bike at twice $129

But again, the other half of the partnership is needed, too: without developing the demand through education about what's important in a bike, they won't sell and the whole thing will flop.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-31-21 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-31-21, 06:32 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
This discussion will likely soon be moot, as inexpensive electric scooters become more and more ubiquitous.

That said: the problem is not that disadvantaged people can't afford to pay $250 or $300 for a reliable bicycle. (A high proportion of people in all economic circumstances manage to afford smartphones, after all.) It's that they know that they can buy a bike for $100 or $150 and don't know why that's a bad idea. (Before China's recent increase in average per-person wealth, of those Chinese who didn't have a television or telephone---or indoor plumbing---millions owned a reliable bicycle.)

A more practical solution than the pie-in-the-sky parts-on-pallets scheme would be a point-of-sale change, to better inform customers with regard to the available choices. Big box stores already stock better bikes, albeit at higher price points. One fix: persuade the management at Walmart and Target to train their salespeople to (slightly) upsell those customers who need reliable and affordable transportation.

For those customers who just want a bike in the garage to ride on the three or four occasions per year when the impulse strikes, push the $150 bike. For those who need a bike for regular transportation, push the $270 bike.

As an ex-bike-store manager, I recognize that most people would be better off going to bike stores for reliable bikes. But big box stores will continue to dominate sales, so that's where the work needs to be done. Energy that would otherwise be dissipated in pursuing wildly impractical hypothetical solutions should be applied to changing the culture at Walmart et al., and to convince people of the difference between BSOs and decent bikes.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-31-21, 06:34 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
I've occasionally "grazed" this thread..seems to be growing angst(how unusual..)..so forgive me if I've missed something..

I'm retired from a long career in RDE(research, development, & engineering). Creating, developing, (patenting) and commercializing products was my life. At the end of the day nothing changes until someone does something.

Reminds me of a quote/verbal exchange between Howard Cosell and Muhamad Ali.

Howard to Ali: "Without me you'd be nothing!"
Ali to Howard: "Without me you'd just be a mouth!"

UniChris you seem to have a lot to say. Talk is cheap..hell, it's free. Railing on and on about what "they" should do is a waste of time. What are you Doing? If you're so passionate about this issue..start a bicycle company..show the world how you're right.

Another quote: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens (or just one) can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” -Margaret Mead, anthropologist

I've been in more meetings than I can remember lead by individuals who confused action with talking an issue to death.

So, what are you doing?
If you're not doing something, then you're just another mouth.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-31-21, 07:42 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by fishboat
So, what are you doing?
If I were in a position to do this, I would (though note that the doing would not be making bikes, but lobbying businesses - the point is to refocus an existing industry, not to compete with it)

Instead I'm in the ups and downs of another industry, and were I to contemplate changing industries it would still not be to this.

​​​​I personally happen to think talking about ideas is useful, but no one's participation is required in a conversation they don't see as useful.

​​​​​
Old 03-31-21, 07:52 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
If I were in a position to do this, I would (though note that the doing would not be making bikes, but lobbying businesses - the point is to refocus, not to compete)

Instead I'm in the ups and downs of another industry, and were I to contemplate changing industries it would still not be to this.

​​​​I personally happen to think talking about ideas is useful, but no one's participation is required in a conversation they don't see as useful.

​​​​​
How unique..someone with an excuse that you can't do it, but "they" should.

With due respect, practical reality then is that you're just another mouth..yawn..the world is full of them. If you don't grasp that concept now..in time, you will.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-31-21, 08:05 AM
UniChris

you're just another mouth

That goes for everyone here.

Especially those who feel the need to jump into a thread they don't find interesting and point out things already said many times in the preceding pages.

​​​​​​If you are convinced an idea will go nowhere, then presumably you can realize it doesn't need your help to achieve that fate.

​​​​​​
Old 04-01-21, 06:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
When you build these basic cycles, cost could be significantly reduced by specifying only one wheel.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-02-21, 06:13 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
When you build these basic cycles, cost could be significantly reduced by specifying only one wheel.
I see what you did there.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 04-02-21, 11:41 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
If I were in a position to do this, I would (though note that the doing would not be making bikes, but lobbying businesses - the point is to refocus an existing industry, not to compete with it)​​​​​
Translation: I prefer to complain rather than act.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-02-21, 12:00 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
If I were in a position to do this, I would (though note that the doing would not be making bikes, but lobbying businesses - the point is to refocus an existing industry, not to compete with it)

​​​​​
It’s safe to assume that you first revolutionized the other industry you referenced being a part of, and have brought french fries to the masses at half the previous cost?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-02-21, 02:57 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Wouldn’t it be easier to solve urban transport by subsidizing bike share for the poor vs trying to source inexpensive bikes?
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 04-04-21, 07:27 AM
littleone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The problem is the profit motive. Capital should seek the highest return that it can with reasonably risk. Where are the margins that would justify selling at that price point with U.S. labor to boot? Sounds like unobtanium to me.

But, good analysis, UniChris. You got it spot on.

My solution would be 1970s Sears Free Spirits for everybody. Scanning Craigslist...
I have one of the Free Spirits in mountain bike form. No suspension on it so I converted it to a heavy duty road bike. Also converted to fifteen speed. Stock gearing is too high. Many mods; plastic fenders, rack, bags, etc. It's steel so weight will always be there. It's fun to ride and gets used as a practice bike. Keeps the newer faster bikes nice.
Old 04-04-21, 08:13 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
Let’s stop with personal attacks. Disagreeing is part of discussions but statements and insults that are personally directed at other members isn’t.

Cleaned up the thread.
Likes For StanSeven: